Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR 650 Adventure
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So I went out to Amazon to get and 1157 led bulb for the KLR. I got one that didn’t strobe but was from the same manufacturer (Auxlight). VERY NICE!! Super bright!

I decided to get 4 turn signal bulbs as well. In my infinite wisdom, I did not check the bulb type and just ordered two amber 1157 bulbs and two amber 1156 bulbs. Every bike I’ve owned has used these in their turn signals.

Turns out the ‘22 KLR uses a different kind of bulb for the turn signals, and I can’t find what kind it is. Anybody know??
I'm not at home or I would run out and pull the bulb but Revzilla shows a 92069? I'm at work and bored to death so I took this as a challenge and man what a challenge it is. It appears that number is a Kawasaki number. Unfortunately I can't find a pic of that exact bulb or a way to cross reference that number to "automotive bulbs" but I finally found in a Kawasaki Vulcan forum a possible answer. The Vulcan evidently uses the same bulb as the KLR and a poster said he used a 1056 or 7507. Like I said I'm not at home to be able to compare but maybe that gives you a starting point if you have access to the bulb. I would love to know the answer also as replacing with all LEDs would be great! I'm glad you found a bulb you like. I really like the simplicity of the bulb and though you didn't go with the "backoff" feature I too love the added brightness of the bulb!

Oh here is a link to the vulcan forum.....last post in the thread I believe....Clicky here for possible info....

Reactions: OutlandMoto

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
92069 is only the Pre-fix of almost every light bulb that Kawasaki ever used!
You need the suffix of the number also (92069-????), but that is only good for ordering oem genuine parts from a Kawasaki dealership.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
92069 is only the Pre-fix of almost every light bulb that Kawasaki ever used!
You need the suffix of the number also (92069-????), but that is only good for ordering oem genuine parts from a Kawasaki dealership.
Ah go figure....well it's 92069-0106 but like you said only good for genuine oem parts and really hard to cross reference. That vulcan post was the only thing I could find this afternoon that came close to solving the mystery. I also promised someone a pic of the wiring harnesses under the seat that I tapped into. Full disclosure - I kept forgetting to snap this pic on my own but tonight I was poking around facebook and a guy from Texas had this pic so I stole it to fulfill my promise. Tough to get old and get CRS disease. Lol

Here it is but know this is the 2022 not sure if it's the same on older bikes. The white plug on the left is the tail/brake and the two smaller thinner plugs to the right are for left and right turn signals.

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Electrical wiring Gas

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
LOL....I promise I'm not being a smarta$$ when I say this....."Why didn't I think of that!!??" LOL......I really didn't until you just said it. Lol.....so i just did a quick search of the Genuine Kawasaki Parts sites and it doesn't appear at least in my first search that Kawasaki offers a LED bulb to replace the incandescent one so I guess that is my official answer to your question. But thanks for putting me on the path of obvious! :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
How about simply removing an oem standard bulb from your bike temporarily? And then doing your research?

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
But thanks for putting me on the path of obvious! :ROFLMAO:
Didn't realize LED was mandatory.

For brightness or for electric power consumption? Turn signals and brake lights operate with a minimal duty cycle (they're, "OFF," more than they're, "ON"); thus, I'd expect power saving from LED conversion miniscule in magnitude. But, maybe not!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Didn't realize LED was mandatory.

For brightness or for electric power consumption? Turn signals and brake lights operate with a minimal duty cycle (they're, "OFF," more than they're, "ON"); thus, I'd expect power saving from LED conversion miniscule in magnitude. But, maybe not!
Wasn’t worried about power consumption. Just wanted brighter bulbs, and the bulb I got for the tail light is significantly brighter than the stock bulb. But I’m also realizing that LED turn signals may not flash properly without some modifications/add-ons. I don’t want to get into that, so I will probably quit while I’m ahead. :)

·
Registered
KLR 2014 Gen 2
207 Posts
In my case, I consider LED's to be good in regard to keeping the charging system working at a relaxed state.

I am fine with my headlamps as they are, no need for anything more powerful while in city limits, but for highway and dark countryside needs I have auxiliary lights that I can turn on and off at the touch of a switch.

Those off road lamps are LED for better amperage draw management.

The headlamps being halogen, do consume more amps that I'd like, but I will keep using them until they fail, then I'll install LEDs, no rush on that, all in lieu of better amperage management.

Signal lamps being on only a fraction of the useful time on the KLR, in case of my KLR I decided leaving them alone.

In the case of cars you can just swap signal lamps for LED and that is it, no need to change any flasher ... (yes, with the stock flasher in a car, turn signals blink fast, but that does not bother me at all, I think that is an added feature, a fast pase turn signal calls more attention on others than a sluggish blink, no need to change the flasher) ... but on the bike it is a little more complicated as I read, so I need no headaches, and as said before, blinkers are only used seconds on end.

Were these turn signal lamps also running lamps on all the time, that would elicit a different consideration.

Tail light is a different story, the LED lamp is instantaneous, super fast at responding to the brake pedal and more visible to others as a tail lamp, plus it is as easy as plug and play, get an 1157 LED bulb which has both tail and brake function as the stock lamp does and you are done ! I got it , 1157 LED "RED". Being a tail lamp, better to emit red light than having a powerful white bulb fighting off the red lense capability, a red colored LED adds red to red 👍

Also did my gauge cluster lamps swap in LED. Better power, the only drawback I found out after doing the cluster lamps is that the blue high beam idiot light is way too powerful.

If we think about it, neutral and turn signal lamps on the cluster are powerful but those lamps go out as soon as you get out of neutral or as soon as you turn your signal lamp off, in fact that powerful bulb will not allow you to forget your turn signal is on.

But riding at night with the high beam is not nice with a blinding blue for at your face.

Rather than replacing that only bulb for a stock one, I decided to stick a piece of electrical tape covering most of the blue high beam display on the cluster.

Problem solved. Perhaps had I known, and mi advise to others, if to chose a bulb for that high beam lamp that has the lowest power possible, just for that position

I used green color on my Speedo/Tach cluster lamps, more relaxing to our my eyes at night.

Here a small video I have I made on the side of a country road, intention being testing my off road lamps, made more than a year ago, that shows the green neutral dash lamp on, and briefly the high beam gauge cluster light on, video which sums up all what was said before.

Well, it seems I can not post a video, so I will take shots of the video, bear with me ...

A shot of the green cluster, cluster and neutral lamp on, cluster with blue high beam lamp on. Not perfect, had to take shots at the video.
Water Automotive lighting Hood Light Wheel

Vehicle Automotive lighting Car Hood Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Rim Auto part

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Wasn’t worried about power consumption. Just wanted brighter bulbs, and the bulb I got for the tail light is significantly brighter than the stock bulb. But I’m also realizing that LED turn signals may not flash properly without some modifications/add-ons. I don’t want to get into that, so I will probably quit while I’m ahead. :)
Exactly what he said! 👆👆😁

How about simply removing an oem standard bulb from your bike temporarily? And then doing your research?
Yah I addressed that above - I'm at work and didn't have access to the bulb. 👍. But since my job is quite boring (University - kids are on break) I took it as a challenge to have a reason to finish the internet again.

Reactions: OutlandMoto
21 - 32 of 32 Posts