Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i want to add a way to charge my phone on those long rides. I know a regular car cigarette lighter plug would probably vibrate out. So what is the best solution? I ran across the "powerlet" website, but they seem kind of expensive. Is it worth the money or is there a different solution? Thanks for helping a noob!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I found a 12V wired dual USB outlet at Canadian Tire for $10. I've got it tucked under fairing. Works just fine.
Most phones these days use USB cables, at least at the charger end.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Seems to me that the Powerlet stuff starts to look good if you are going to use the outlet for more than one thing and if you can't keep the socket out of the weather. I run heated gear, charger, and a tire pump off the one outlet.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i only plan on using the phone charger right now, but i do like having the option of using it for other things later on. So is the powerlet socket ok to be left in an area exposed to the rain? That is the only thing I'm nervous about, regardless of what route i go. I live in Seattle, so not riding in the rain isn't really an option. Haha

·
Administrator
8,289 Posts
You can get the Powerlet with a cover on it. the cover has a gasket. It's not water proof, but I've ridden in heavy rain, hail, and snow and never had a problem.

Mine is located down by my battery on a panel, but locating it up in the fairing or off the handlebar should not be a problem as far as water goes.

Tom

·
Administrator
8,289 Posts
You can get the Powerlet with a cover on it. the cover has a gasket. It's not water proof, but I've ridden in heavy rain, hail, and snow and never had a problem.

Mine is located down by my battery on a panel, but locating it up in the fairing or off the handlebar should not be a problem as far as water goes.

Tom

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right on! Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I used 2 marine grade lighter/charging adapters which I mounted on each side of the fairing. I also added a small 4 port fuse block under the fairing on the left side to power each adapter port separately. This also give me space to add other things. I also have a number of RAM mounts on the handlebars and behind the windshield for phone, gps, and GoPro.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do the marine grade charging adapters vibrate the charger loose while you are riding? I have heard that is a problem with typical cigarette lighter sockets.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have ridden over 5000 miles without a problem. My cords have lights on them, so it would show up quickly. I ordered my marine adapters on ebay. I also put quick disconnects on the wires to the fuse block, so that I can easily remove the fairing. It has worked very well. Please note that my KLR is primarily an all road bike.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well that could be an option then too. Hmm..... decisions decisions

1 - 11 of 11 Posts