Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Noob adv rider. I have been riding bikes for 15 years but only street & used a heavy trusted pair of Doc Martens.

But... New to the klr and ADV riding has persuaded me to look for a dual sport boot- for protection sake I want a full length MX style boot, which I can actually walk around a bit in and not cost a fortune.

It has boiled down to these three. However, being a noob, I am unfamiliar with these three :oops: advice ?

Thor Q1. - $119

Moose M1 - $99

MSR VX1 - $99

They all have free shipping but I don't know about level of armor etc, value, durability etc.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Welcome.

What do you want from boots? Any motorcycle specific boot is better than none. Are you planning on doing a lot of off-road? If so spend more money for better protection.

A full up off-road boot will have good ankle protection but will be stiff unless you spend even more money for a hinged boot. I wear Alpinstars Tech 6 (since replaced by the 3s I think) all the time because I don't see the difference between a rock, curb, bumper, etc.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I use the TCX Air Tech Gore-Tex Touring Boot for the daily commute and SIDI Adventure Rain boots for the off road stuff. Really like them both but the SIDI's offer much more protection. The TCX's are very cool in hot weather and you could walk around town all day in them as they are so comfortable. But, if I was going to pick between the two, the SIDI's would win.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My Dianese TRQ tour were $199 new.They have a gore-tex liner, shin protector and a wonderful pivot point that has saved my foot from hyper plantar flexion twice! Very comfortable walking too

·
Registered
138 Posts
I bought the adventure rain as well. Comfortable out of the box, strong waterproof (so far). Just real squeaky. A little annoying but The pros outweigh that one con.

·
Registered
219 Posts
+1 on the Scouts. I love them. Especially in the wet stuff. They have excellent protection plus they have good grip when your trying to push your bike out of a mud puddle. They are a little expensive though but they seem to be worth it so far.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have Gaerne Explorers. $200 bucks but I can walk in them. I have two pair of the cheaper MX boots if you are interested, size 9. They were too stiff for me.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Any tried the Thor 50/50 boots?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I wear Alpinstars Tech 6 (since replaced by the 3s I think) all the time because I don't see the difference between a rock, curb, bumper, etc.
I wear the Tech 6s also when I ride dual sport.

For road boots I wear Tourmaster Solutions.

My advice....unless your avert to used gear - check the "forums" and see whats out there.

I bought my Alpinestar Tech 6s for $75 shipped when they were running $200 everywhere else.

Id much rather be wearing a pair of $250 to $300 used boots that I bought for $100 then bargain priced $100 entry level boots.

Not saying the $100 boots wouldnt be good ones.....just saying the others would likely be better.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have the MSR's. A little stiff for walking around in and you have to lift your foot off the peg to shift. If it's not a full-throttle off road day I wear my cheap AXO road-race boots.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fwiw... I ended up buying the garrne adventure boot at $250. Spendy but dang, very comfy & beefy:character00268:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Next time you fall over and the bike lands on your foot, you'll be glad you got the beefy boots. I know I sure was!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Im also wearing Alpinestar Tech 6s.

Something I suggest.....if you can handle the thought of wearing used......check out the forums here, ADV rider, etc.

Ive bought $300 boots used for $75 in good condition. Id rather have me foot in a pair of used $300 boots then brand new $100 boots.

Not saying there arent some good deals on cheap new boots - just saying used is a good way to get a pair of boots that normally wouldnt be in your price range.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I have MX boots. I've tried using them on my KLR but my 13 won't fit under the shifter. I never wore them on the KLR because of that and I doubt I would of anyway because I don't ride aggressive with it. So I've been using old tennys or work boots for cruising around.

I scored some barely used Thor 50/50 boots (just like new) off ebay. Went for a cruise to try them out. My foot fits under the shifter but I think it would work better if I'd get an extended one. They feel great to stand up on the pegs (firm sole). You can slip them on your feet fast with just 2 buckles. I put an old pair of tennis shoe insoles on top of the stock insoles for padding. They don't really have any ankle protection to speak of.

But they'll be great boots for cruising around town and doing the dual sport kind of riding I use the KLR for!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I have MX boots. I've tried using them on my KLR but my 13 won't fit under the shifter. I never wore them on the KLR because of that and I doubt I would of anyway because I don't ride aggressive with it.

The OEM shift lever is short especially for big foots! Get an extended one.

Riding with MX boots you have to raise the shift lever. Ideally you want to be able to get your foot under it without having to point you toes down below the foot peg (to avoid smacking you toes on rocks, roots, etc.) You lift your foot to shift with stiff boots.

I've tipped my bike over in a parking lot and had the peg crunch into my ankle but my MX boots protected me. Work boots wouldn't have.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Timely rebump. RE: Gaerne G-Adventure DS boot. I have size 12 feet and have always worn a size 13 in boots but I had read/seen that the Gaerne is true to size. Thankfully I did as they are a perfect fitting boot. They are somewhat understated enough when I ride to work they look pretty good in khaki pants / denim too.
But, I just came in from a 4 hour run through the Oregon cascades and let me tell You, it was WET and miserable out there. 42 and raining sideways, windy, snotty and all around blecky.
These boots performed flawlessly. I have heated gloves and a jacket liner. No heated pants, socks or insoles etc. I just used a thin silk dress sock as the base and a poly/spandex over sock and my feet were snuggly warm and DRY. These boots are indeed water proof. I like the protection, the lug sole, the beefy buckle system, the italian fit and finish with leatherwork and the understated look. Expensive? At $250 they were more than I wanted to spend, but they are well worth it.

Downside: the price and I wish there were a bit more plastic/ballistic around the heel & ankle. But, to get that added protection puts me back into the full armor MX boot market. These Gaerne's were the perfect DS compromise for me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts