·
Administrator
8,289 Posts
Hmm. I think that's a hideosity.

T

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I run a car tire on the back of my Goldwing, like a lot of 'Darksiders'. If I had a trike, I think I'd run car tires all around.

Yea well trikes don't lean over when they turn.

Don't get the darksider thing. You spend 20k on a bike but then don't want to spend the money for an actual motorcycle tire?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yea well trikes don't lean over when they turn.

Don't get the darksider thing. You spend 20k on a bike but then don't want to spend the money for an actual motorcycle tire?
I think there are several advantages to a car tire.
My 'Wing is a '00, the last of the 1500cc. The rear end has to be disassembled to see the tire. A car tire should last 2ce as long and wear better.

·
Banned
277 Posts
"Wear better"
To me, that's a scary one.

I used to autocross quite a bit, always in a street tire class. Very lightweight car, sophisticated double-wishbone suspension (changes camber angles with body lean), and tricked out with performance parts - eibach springs, koni adjustable compression/rebound/height shocks, triple anti-sway setup. It was built for autocross.

And even still, I could get my butt spanked by a guy in a bone-stock Subaru Forester who bolted on a set of race tires.

And similarly, tires that "wear great" often have safety trade offs, unless you're driving like miss daisy. I know I don't want to hear my tires squealing as I go around entrance and exit ramps at suggested speeds... downright gives me the willies imagining what might occur in the wet! And that's in a car.

I'm new to bikes, but I know motorcycle rubber is typically much softer, much more akin to sticky autocross tire rubber, and having tread patterns that respect the bike's ability to lean. And not just the compound... car tires are molded with sidewalls that aren't designed to deform like that, and bike tires don't deform when leaning.

It's not all about "how much" contact patch on the road, it's about how much grip FROM that contact patch. Looks like a scary gamble to me, anyway.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Not to create an arguement....that isn't already going...lol...but....as said a trike operates similar to a 4 wheeled vehicle. So tires can and should be the same no? If you ride sensibly then any tire will work, it's only when racing etc they require better characteristics...imho.
I too used to rally way way back in the day....tires meant everything!

·
Premium Member
5,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Where did Stinko come from?:character0053:
Why, The Republic Of Korea, of course. Current events over there are making me nervous. I might have to start hoarding 244's along with ammo. How long can you store new tires in a cool, dry area?

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
Speaking of three wheeled Adventure Tourers..

I spotted this little gem in the parking lot at Zion NP last week.

It's using MC wheels and tires.. Spare Wheel, Check.

Spare gas can, Check.

Spare tires, Check.

It even has a Winch!

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
Nice pics of an unusual ride, Cabrito. I believe that's a Velorex, isn't it?
I'm not sure what it is. I didn't see any markings on it.

I wish I'd had a chance to talk to them about it.

·
Banned
277 Posts
It looks like fun, that's for sure.
And I agree - looks like it should have car tires - it doesn't lean!

He could trade with the first guy... although if the side car is always on, I suppose car tires could make sense.

I want to drive whatever that thing is up there though ^^^^^
That looks like a blast.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I bought an old 1978 CX500 just to make something very similar to that machine. I want mine to be completely open though. I chose the CX500 because of it's twisted twin engine design. It's shaft drive which would make it easy to send the power to the rear swing arm. I plan on hunting down a sport ATV to salvage the front suspension and wheels from and then make a frame to join it all together.
I plan on towing a small trailer instead of carying all of that weight so you don't get the cramped feel.

So, anyone got a front end off a sport ATV they want to donate to a great cause?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts