Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear there are people with opinions on this page.

The KLR is awesome, but it is so under powered that it drives me a bit crazy. I have 2 bikes, but part of me wants get one bike to do it all. I have the 09 KLR650 and an 06 Stratoliner 1900. I am thinking about getting rid of both and getting an Africa Twin Adventure Sport. A one bike does it all bike. Fun off road and good for long distance. I know the AT won't have the crazy torque of the Yamaha, but way better than the KLR on long trips.

Am I better keeping the KLR and spending money on a big bore kit and upgrades on suspension? Finding a used 2022 KLR Adventure, get the big bore kit and upgrading the suspension and keeping the big bike? My local Honda Shop has a used 2022 adventure, but they want $8999 (Crazy)

I appreciate the simplicity of the KLR and no electronic doodads to go bad. But I trust the Honda quality. Have only heard great things about the AT Adventure Sports. The lesser Africa Twins suspension is supposedly too soft also. (I'm 6' 260lb)

Another point, the Yamaha is low to the ground and 750lb. it can be a little bit of a bear at low speeds. It seems to get heavier every year. 59 years old, 51 years of riding.

I know someone out there may have the perfect answer. I'm not afraid of used bikes. I am looking forward to getting opinions

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Automotive fuel system

·
Administrator
4,430 Posts
You can throw money into a KLR but you’ll never have anything close to an Africa Twin but then it’s really not fair to compare the two. I would say that if the Africa Twin suits your riding style, budget and allows you to get down to one bike - it’s a great choice. Probably what I would choose too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just priced out a new KLR, and Kaw is adding all kinds of surcharges, freight & diesel surcharge fees added $1000 to the MSRP, then the dealer added $1500 for prep, set up and market adjustment.

Out the door with taxes, tags and doc fees was $9700 for the Adventure model. I told them they were nuts, and bought a 2012 with next to no miles from a private seller.

Not sure how many miles on the used 22, but it’s kind of in line with what I saw.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Just my opinion based on my use case: I wouldn't want to be riding an AT (any year) off road. I understand it is very capable both on and off. But 500+ lbs wet is 500+ lbs no matter if it has 80 rwhp or 100+ rwhp. Perhaps the best combination would be the AT and then a DRZ400 or CRF450. But that's for my case. If all you ride is pavement and that very occasional smoothly graded gravel road, and you're addicted to big power, AT all the way. I do know people who ride big heavy ADV bikes off road and on moderate trails. They do still love their bikes. However, they're not kidding me when they say they're pretty tired when there's too much off roading involved. Not to say I don't get tired off roading on the KLR...it's still a 460+ lbs. wet bike.

·
Registered
82 Posts
This comment may pertain only to me but here it is anyway. I'm old and nearing retirement. I was looking for a way to take short trips (sometimes overnight) around my geographic area to do Landscape and nature Photography. I want to be able to ride on nice wide fire roads to get places I would have had to have a jeep to get to (I used to have a 1970 Scout). I looked at lots of ADV Bikes. The reason I went with the KLR is because thinking about riding a GS or Africa Twin on a fire road scared me. I don't know why I would need a 1200CC engine to get to a Camping site in the Plumas National Forest. I have ridden the bike on 200-mile round trip adventures on twisty mountain roads and a little freeway. There is only one Freeway here I5 and that is 30 miles away. The bike is perfect for me. I'm not going to be big and strong enough to handle a GS doing what I do on a Bike. If I were under 55, I might have made a different decision. That being said every time I see someone or a group of guys riding those big ass ADV bikes I second guess myself. Then I bring myself back to reality. The KLR does everything "I" need it to do. If my brothers come though on their plan for us to ride up to Alaska I'll probably buy a used GS then sell it when I get back home.

·
Registered
2022 KLR650 - Fully loaded
786 Posts
Been there done that. Sold my 2018 klr for a immaculate 2017 Africa twin dct. Thought it would be the “do all” motorcycle. It WASN’T.
Kept it for 6 months, sold it, and bought another klr.
My .02…..keep the klr.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If being on interstates @ 75+ mph is one of your requirements, my opinion, the KLR is NOT the bike for you. Personally 55-60 mph (Keeps me a shade under 4k RPM) is where I feel comfortable, so that limits my using the interstate to get to places faster. BUT I will take the KLR on trails that maybe I shouldn't. It's all about what is the bike's intended use

·
Registered
98 Posts
Depending on how much you offroad and the type of offroading, have you considered a vstrom 650? They have great reliability and have tons more power than a KLR but same or close weight, better mpg, good ergonomics, etc. If you could arrange a test ride perhaps it would be your bike to do it all.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Depending on how much you offroad and the type of offroading, have you considered a vstrom 650? They have great reliability and have tons more power than a KLR but same or close weight, better mpg, good ergonomics, etc. If you could arrange a test ride perhaps it would be your bike to do it all.
I have a VStrom 650 XT. I agree it's great for pavement and long distance adventure sport touring, with some light off road work. It can actually handle moderate off road work but you have to slow way down to avoid overtaxing the suspension system and limited ground clearance. The KLR plows through most anything the VStrom would have to tip toe across.

·
Premium Member
4,648 Posts
The correct answer depends on wants, needs, expectations, usage and budget.....which are all personal things and vary widely. For me, the AT is too heavy to do the offroad stuff I like to do but obviously my situation is different. My modded KLR's are almost perfect for what I do which is why I still have them but if my plans changed and I did less single track and more pavement (specifically higher speed pavement), I'd consider a KTM 890R or a Tenere 700 myself though the AT is a good bike if a bit porky. VStrom is a good bike but not much offroad capability IMO.

2 cents,
Dave

·
Registered
2022 KLR650 - Fully loaded
786 Posts
The correct answer depends on wants, needs, expectations, usage and budget.....which are all personal things and vary widely. For me, the AT is too heavy to do the offroad stuff I like to do but obviously my situation is different. My modded KLR's are almost perfect for what I do which is why I still have them but if my plans changed and I did less single track and more pavement (specifically higher speed pavement), I'd consider a KTM 890R or a Tenere 700 myself though the AT is a good bike if a bit porky. VStrom is a good bike but not much offroad capability IMO.

2 cents,
Dave
You should check out the new Aprilia Tuareg 660. Had the opportunity to ride one and man it was a sweet machine. Much more nimble compared to the AT in my opinion. Power, stability, and ergonomics were spot on.

Big Rock Moto has a good thorough review on the bike, stating it was far superior over the Tenere 700.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You should check out the new Aprilia Tuareg 660. Had the opportunity to ride one and man it was a sweet machine. Much more nimble compared to the AT in my opinion. Power, stability, and ergonomics were spot on.

Big Rock Moto has a good thorough review on the bike, stating it was far superior over the Tenere 700.
I was going to suggest this bike. It has my eye. Might be a bit before aftermarket catches up. Hardest part will be the guilt replacing my KLR, she has gotten me out of really stupid ideas

·
Registered
4 Posts
Honestly? If you want to do longer trips and slay some highway miles, something like the AT, GS, or Super Tenere will be night and day for you. I spent a lot of time and money trying to turn my KLR into something approaching a full ADV bike and it still was uncomfortable for long highway rides and underpowered almost everywhere. I love my KLR to death and spent thousands on it, but my R1200GS was an absolute game changer. It’s powerful, smooth, and can go 90% of the places I could take the KLR. It’s heavier when you drop it off road, but it’s super comfortable for long distances on pavement and dirt. I’ve had the KLR and GS on the trails around Telluride and Ouray and honestly I liked the way the GS handled itself a little better with its power. I’m guessing an AT would be similar.

All that being said, I like riding a motorcycle on single track and the GS is tiring and hard to manage on those trails. Right now, I’m selling my KLR and looking at a light dual sport like a CRF300 or KLX300 I can ride to my local trails and play around with. The KLR definitely sits squarely between those two bikes, but doesn’t do as well on the highway as a big ADV bike or as well off-road as a sub-300 lb. dual sport. I’d jump for the AT and get something small to compliment it down the road if you find yourself limited. Good luck!

·
Registered
393 Posts
I agree with all the above. That's why I strongly believe that ONE bike for both pavement and dirt will always be a compromise. If you want small, lightweight (relatively), power will be a compromise. They're moving in the right direction to having perfection with the Tenere 700, Aprilia Tuareg 660, and KTM 890 Adventure, but these bikes are still 460-470 lbs. wet and expensive. Off road, you really want it to be well under 400 lbs. Closer to 300 is ideal. But that's the realm of dual sports and Enduro bikes and NOT Adventure bikes. OTOH, if you want comfort AND power on pavement, nothing beats the big bikes. Those things eat miles like they're nothing. But as soon as the trails get moderately difficult, the riders will be working a lot harder then if he were on a 300-400 lbs. dual sport.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Unfortunately, where I live in Iowa, I don't have a tuareg dealer anywhere. It is one sexy bike. I have never seen a tenere in in person. They are nowhere to be found.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Honestly? If you want to do longer trips and slay some highway miles, something like the AT, GS, or Super Tenere will be night and day for you. I spent a lot of time and money trying to turn my KLR into something approaching a full ADV bike and it still was uncomfortable for long highway rides and underpowered almost everywhere. I love my KLR to death and spent thousands on it, but my R1200GS was an absolute game changer. It’s powerful, smooth, and can go 90% of the places I could take the KLR. It’s heavier when you drop it off road, but it’s super comfortable for long distances on pavement and dirt. I’ve had the KLR and GS on the trails around Telluride and Ouray and honestly I liked the way the GS handled itself a little better with its power. I’m guessing an AT would be similar.

All that being said, I like riding a motorcycle on single track and the GS is tiring and hard to manage on those trails. Right now, I’m selling my KLR and looking at a light dual sport like a CRF300 or KLX300 I can ride to my local trails and play around with. The KLR definitely sits squarely between those two bikes, but doesn’t do as well on the highway as a big ADV bike or as well off-road as a sub-300 lb. dual sport. I’d jump for the AT and get something small to compliment it down the road if you find yourself limited. Good luck!
I am thinking like you are. I don't have the luck of Colorado riding. I would consider a big bore on the KLR if it was all close. Where I live, it is mostly gravel roads, not much for serious off road or single track. Everything is either planted in corn and soybeans, or privately owned woods. For me to get to anywhere with serious riding, it is probably a 8 hour ride in interstate. Smokey mountains are 14 or 15 hours away, Denver, 12 hours away, Ozarks 8 hours away.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have a VStrom 650 XT. I agree it's great for pavement and long distance adventure sport touring, with some light off road work. It can actually handle moderate off road work but you have to slow way down to avoid overtaxing the suspension system and limited ground clearance. The KLR plows through most anything the VStrom would have to tip toe across.
I know the V-strom is excellent, but I just can't deal with that bug look of the V-strom or the GS. I road a firends 1200GS and it was great and a new riding buddy bought and older 1000 V-Strom but haven't ridden that yet.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts