Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a 685 on my new KLR right off the bat, 75 miles on the clock and i have a concern. When installing i cleaned the cylinder, i just forgot to WD40 it before firing it up. I did crank it by hand a number of times though to check for issues before starting.

I did the initial startup run without changing the original filter since it only had 75 miles on it. The kit says to run up to 20 miles and then do an oil and filter change.

When i did this i found a little bit of metal on the magnetic drain plug i put in, and then a little bit in the bottom of the oil filter housing and on the oil filter itself. I wiped it clean with a paper towel.

Is this to be expected or do we have a problem? I have done a 50 mile run since the oil change and it seems to be running fine. Again, i never checked it from the factory to see if there were any sediment in there either, but i suspect not.

Lastly, should i remove the cover and check the oil screen after all of the break-in is completed?

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
kaineb,
Totally normal for a new KLR engine or any engine to have some fine crumbs in the oil filter. That is why it is there. With a spin-on oil filter, most people never see the crumbs, so they never worry about what they haven't seen.
Just be certain to keep those crumbs from flowing down the 6:00 oil hole. It goes straight to the bottom rod bearing! I use a little red battery vent nipple to temporarily plug the 6:00 hole during an oil change.

As to checking the oil pre-screen. I wouldn't waste my time or a pair of gaskets, unless I had another reason to go there!

I can give you a Very Good Reason. A KLR oil filter does NOT filter 100 % of its oil. The filter cavity needs a second 'o'-ring to keep the dirty oil from re-mixing with the just filtered oil. 1996 and newer models are worse than my 1987 in this respect.

Click on this, http://www.klrforum.com/1987-2007-wrenching-mods/15458-oil-pressure-how-much-ya-got-42.html

Ten postings, with pics, for your viewing pleasure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thank you for that very well thought out reply. I will certainly read up. I was looking yesterday at possibly adding an Oil Pressure Gauge but it looks like the company that made them aren't doing so any more. I have seen a few people make their own but with the components in a place that can easily be caught and broken. This type connected to the upper banjo bolt, out of the way.

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did see those links while i was looking for an oil gauge solution. I just want to buy something that is set up and works. Wish someone would make a kit, ha ha.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts