Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all. I would like to upgrade my KLR's (2010) standard exhaust to something a little more aggressive but not loud, I'm just after some advice/opinions. There are so many brands out there!!!! I was toying with a Yoshimura RS-2, have done some research on this and it looks good. It isn't cheap but cost does not bother me as long as it does the job.
I've also looked at the following brands...Pro Circuit, FMF, Scorpion, Leo Vince, Lexx and Vance & Hines.
Decisions Decisions???
PS. This is a great web page, my compliments to team that put it all together and keep us on the straight and narrow.:c0125:

·
Registered
416 Posts
I am looking at the DG slip-on, as I found one locally (cheap).

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have the lexx and have been happy. In addition to price, I thought it was important to find a pipe that could be repacked without having to drill out rivets. What ever you choose, make sure it can be opened up to be repacked

·
Registered
232 Posts
In addition to price, I thought it was important to find a pipe that could be repacked without having to drill out rivets. What ever you choose, make sure it can be opened up to be repacked
how frequently have you had to repack the Lexx??

i've been web shopping and was leaning towards the Leo Vince, because it doesn't need to be repacked but Willys and others have been praising the Lexx....

something to consider

·
Registered
94 Posts
how frequently have you had to repack the Lexx??

i've been web shopping and was leaning towards the Leo Vince, because it doesn't need to be repacked but Willys and others have been praising the Lexx....

something to consider
I've had mine for a couple years (roughly 6000 miles) and have packed it once. Probably due for another round. It's a pretty simple operation, the lexx premium packing material is enough for two repacks. Un bolt the end cap and remove the core. Clean out any remaining packing. Tightly wrap the core in new packing, using masking tape to hold in place. Insert the core and new packing. Put on the exhaust tip with a touch of high temp exhaust silicone to seal any leaks. Reinstall the 4 cap screws. WEAR RUBBER GLOVES. The packing is fiberglass.

It's louder when the packing is blown out but not that much. If $$ isn't a consideration, one of the maintenance free options is the way to go. But if you don't want to spend the $$ on those options, the ability to repack the lexx without drilling out rivets seemed like a good option.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info on packing, I did not realize some pipes have to be repacked! I will check this out in more detail but I think I may lean towards a unit that does not require any servicing.
Couple of things that came to mind after I posted last night, some sites speak about aftermarket systems causing problems with overheating indicators? I would presume that the manufacturers would have put their products through serious testing? Also are most of these systems heat shielded like the original KLR system? Thoughts on this? Once again I would presume the manufacturers had tested this also?
PS. Excuse my ignorance on these matters, I've only been riding 18 months or so.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
lol dont ask to be excused from ignorance on things, there are more people than just you learning most of the time.
also my old man said he had a 70's 750 kawi i think it was and he said he repacked the muffler once and it was packed with cat hides, fur and all. is he just blowing smoke up my nether region or is this just one of those crazy jap things like the underwear vending machines?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
The lexx is an easy can to repack as some have already said.....the end comes off with allen key if my memory serves me correctly.
If you have a gen I machine buy an 08 and up header to replace the old crap header pipe it flows better and looks much much better.
As for heat issues, I haven't had any at all. I also wrap my header pipe to keep it cool to the touch, not to keep me from touching it but the hoses off my twin rads. In the old days we used to wrap header pipes to get the heat away from the exhaust valves as it was thought to help with the hard to find ponies.
Just another small thing to add to the pile of small things which when added together make up a larger enhancement for the overall performance bump.

Just make sure that which ever pipe you do decide upon that it comes with a spark arrester, the quiet tip in the LEXX can is the spark arrester as well as quieting it down to sensible levels.

As some have said, repacking is easy after the first time and shouldn't really be an obstical that may force you to buy an expensive can that doesn't need repacking.

Just saying.....

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Hi Willys!
Do you know where to buy Lexx mufflers in Canada? I see Avisciouscycle doesn't carry them.
Best Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Sorry I have mine brought up from the states by a buddy who winters down there......I bought it off fleabay new......bought 2 at the same time.....sorry can't help any better than this....:kumbaya:

·
Registered
1,928 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
i've always gotten...... um, lets say bent over... ordering stuff outta the US. you get your price with shipping from the company, then when the package arrives the shipping company bends you over again for even more $$$$ and not just a few bucks, either.

any Canadians order from Rocky Mt.???

edit: they must be good, they're outta stock till mid July

·
Registered
298 Posts
There is an ad in Craigslist Phoenix for a SuperTrapp for $110. I had a SuperTrapp on my 1979 Yamaha SR500 Thumper. There were baffle plates that you could add to or subtract from to change the sound (and the performance). It provided better performance than the original, but was pretty loud as I recall. I don't know how much SuperTrapp might have changed in the last 33 years.

This same exhaust is on sale for $302.91 at Happy Trails.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The lexx is an easy can to repack as some have already said.....the end comes off with allen key if my memory serves me correctly.
If you have a gen I machine buy an 08 and up header to replace the old crap header pipe it flows better and looks much much better.
As for heat issues, I haven't had any at all. I also wrap my header pipe to keep it cool to the touch, not to keep me from touching it but the hoses off my twin rads. In the old days we used to wrap header pipes to get the heat away from the exhaust valves as it was thought to help with the hard to find ponies.
Just another small thing to add to the pile of small things which when added together make up a larger enhancement for the overall performance bump.

Just make sure that which ever pipe you do decide upon that it comes with a spark arrester, the quiet tip in the LEXX can is the spark arrester as well as quieting it down to sensible levels.

As some have said, repacking is easy after the first time and shouldn't really be an obstical that may force you to buy an expensive can that doesn't need repacking.

Just saying.....
Does the Lexx require any re-jetting on an '08. What type of performance increase do you experiance?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
The only thing I would say is to do the KLX needle kit mod and use the correct jetting for your elevation. Plus set needle at the best location again for your elevation. If you are at sea level or close, I use a 145 main, 3rd clip on the needle and turn the pilot jet screw out to 2 1/4 turns from gently seated. I also use a UNI filter.
As for number of ponies you expect, no dyno runs just seat of the pants dyno results, equals a nice change. This exhaust isn't choked up like even a modded stock can is. It flows extremely well.
I can't offer what it will do on a bone stock bike as most that come to me with are modified to some degree when installing a slip on. But I can't imagine it doesn't allow the engine to breath any worse than it does now and that translates into power.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
i've always gotten...... um, lets say bent over... ordering stuff outta the US. you get your price with shipping from the company, then when the package arrives the shipping company bends you over again for even more $$$$ and not just a few bucks, either.

any Canadians order from Rocky Mt.???

edit: they must be good, they're outta stock till mid July
Thanks a4twenty!
Advice on crossborder shipping which I have done a bunch of. Use the United States Postal Service. They will hand it off to Canada Customs who will then hand it off to Canada Post. You will have to pay Canada post a 9.95 handling fee and sometimes some GST. I have usually recieved shipments in around 10 days.
NEVER use UPS (United Parcel Service) their brokerage fee is usually the same as the cost of the item. Other couriers require a broker as well.
Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
114 Posts
There is an ad in Craigslist Phoenix for a SuperTrapp for $110. I had a SuperTrapp on my 1979 Yamaha SR500 Thumper. There were baffle plates that you could add to or subtract from to change the sound (and the performance). It provided better performance than the original, but was pretty loud as I recall. I don't know how much SuperTrapp might have changed in the last 33 years.

This same exhaust is on sale for $302.91 at Happy Trails.
my used 06' came with the super trapp and dynojet- and oh yea, ear plugs are the order of the day. But I like it! :evilgrin0007:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts