Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow KLR owners. I am new to the forum but not to bikes. Bought my first KLR (2017 camo) a little over a year ago. I am looking for a shorter or low seat for her. I am 5'8" and 29" inseam. I lowered the rear 1.75" with a lowering kit and dropped the front shocks about the same. But I am not happy with the ride now. I would like to go back to stock height and just add a new seat. On road is not a huge problem, I can flat foot one foot with a small lean to one side. My concerns when I bought it was the first ride off road. if I get in a situation I cannot get my feet to the ground. And forget it completely if I manage to highside it, lol. After doing a little research I have narrowed it down to two options. They are so expensive that I wanted to ask anyone that may have had or rode one with both to give me some feedback on pros and cons. I am leaning to the Sargent seat as it has a lower seat for my short legs. But do not want to give up any more comfort than I have to.
Sargent world sport adventure touring seat LOW
Seat Concepts commuter seat LOW

1. is one more durable than the other?
2. Comfort level 1-5 compared to OEM seat. 5 being as good as OEM.
3. fit, finish and any issues you have seen with one or the other.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I sure wouldn’t give the OEM seat a 5.
Unless your scale is 1-10!
What is your weight? Do you have panniers or carry gear most of the time? Is the off-road height the main thing that has you concerned?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I see your point on the OEM seat. I guess I should remove that last bit.
180lbs, I do not carry a lot of gear and do not ride two up. I do have a set of moose panniers, but 9 out of 10 rides they are not on there. If we do an overnight camp it is very limited weight. I have never weighted my packs, but a few bottles of water and small tools with my hammock.
Off road is my biggest concern. However ease of riding on road would help a lot as well. Almost all of my off road is gravel roads, National forest roads and some easy single tracks. Nothing outrageous, just something for me and my son to enjoy some more time together. He has a CRF 250 Rally.

·
Administrator
8,814 Posts
I sure wouldn’t give the OEM seat a 5.
Unless your scale is 1-100!
What is your weight? Do you have panniers or carry gear most of the time? Is the off-road height the main thing that has you concerned?
You left off a zero but I, the ever-helpful staff member, have fixed it for you.

Reactions: cfestings and PeteK

·
Premium Member
7,752 Posts
I can still ride a 500 mile day on a stock KLR seat. My jury is still out as to whether the Gen 1 soft foam or Gen 2 firm foam is easier/tougher on the butt.
No has donated me a Gen 2 2014.5 wide seat to try.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the regular height Sargent and have never tried a "low"....So this will not be an apples to apples comparison regarding the switch to a low seat. Hopefully it helps someone make the decision based on the title of this thread.

My thoughts on the Sargent seat:
The stock seat on my 2016 was way better than the stock seat on my 2013. The Sargent is only marginally better than the 2016 stock seat. The 2013 was uncomfortable after 25 miles. The 2016 was ok for around 100 miles. The Sargent regular height seat is just ok for 150 miles.

The 2013 seat is in the rafters. The 2016 seat is on the 2013. The Sargent is on the 2016.

I still feel like the Sargent wants to slide me forward. Albeit not as bad as the stock seats.
The Sargent has wider rear flat section that allows me to slide back and change the pressure points for awhile.
The firmness of the Sargent allows me to stand up easier because I don't "sink in". With my old knees this is a plus.
Sargent fit and finish are good. I like to bolt stuff on. It's my weekday therapy.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My note on seats - I have the early Gen2 and I get sore at about the 150 mi. mark. Last weekend I picked up a later Gen2 seat (post 2014.5) and installed it. Wow, what a difference!! Same density foam but the seat width for the driver went from 7” to 10” and for the pass. 8” to 11”. HUGE difference in support. I’m curious what the OEM Gen1 widths are? Initial test rides feel great but haven’t done a couple hundred yet. Will update after that ride.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I can still ride a 500 mile day on a stock KLR seat.
I, too, find the stock Gen II KLR seat comfortable. It has enough horizontal surface to allow fore an aft butt adjustments and the foam density feels just about right--to me anyway.

I consider myself lucky, as I hear so many folks complaining about how uncomfortable the KLR seat is.

Jason

·
Premium Member
2014.5 KLR650
73 Posts
Yep ... I have a Gen 2.5 (2014 1/2) ... and I find the seat 'all day' comfortable ...

·
Registered
678 Posts
I put a 2016 seat on my 2013, and find it more comfortable and good for longer than a tank will last.

·
Registered
2018 KLR650.
12 Posts
Well, to get back to the origional issue of "height", i have the seat concepts upgrade on my Drz and now a full seat pan assembly comfort xl low on the 2018 klr. Its not stepped as severly as the "commuter", so i can still shift fore and aft easily. I have 29" inseam as well and even with stock heights and a topgun white shock for my 190 lbs can still get balls of both feet down and almost flat foot.
Both seat concepts seats are very high quality compared to oem. On the drz it doubled my saddle time before numb bum. Cant comment yet on the klr but its very comphy in the garage.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i'm happy with my tpi platform comfort seat on my gen1.

it came with the stock seat and atv pad - ok for short rides and a bit tall for me @ 5'8" on stock suspension.

next, i had a corbin low seat - a comfort improvement but, it was a bit crowned in the middle where i wanted it flat. also, the lack of a passenger platform had my pillion constantly sliding into me.

the tpi is, so far, my fave. i'm just above flat footing my klr with proper race sag. i got mine used for $150, as i recall. i'm too cheap to spring for most of them new, prefer to see what i can find used.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the Sargent "low" seat on my 2012 KLR with upgraded suspension front and rear. It's all day comfy and I can touch both feet down with my heels slightly off the ground. I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam and can handle the bike fine on and off road.

Wayne

1 - 13 of 13 Posts