Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Will grounding the r/blk wire to the CDI accomplish this? Trying to do them all at once.

Jim

Does the cathodes of all three of the diodes in the diode pack have to be grounded to run the starter motor?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
?????

As you can tell, I'm still trying to make sense of the A9 wiring diagram. Is it applicable to my '98? Where is the starter lockout switch physically? Guess I will give up and bypass the safety switches individually? Rode to town again this morning and my old knees needed help with the bump start....Does there exist a schematic diagram, or are we just stuck with wiring diagrams?

Jim

·
Administrator
8,364 Posts
Grounding the input side of the diode matrix would be a Bad Thing, as you'd be bypassing the diode function which is to prevent current backflow from the 'safety circuits', one to another.

As far as I know, there's only the wiring diagram.

I believe that the starter lockout switch is the clutch switch.

T

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks, Tom - I will study some more and NOT do anything until I KNOW what I'm doing(however, that will probably prompt more ?'s).

Jim

I tried to make sense of the start switch diagram on the A9 diagram -but- can,t tell which wires go to the solenoid(coil) and which to the contacts. I can guess and feel pretty sure I figured it out - but schematics make things so much simpler.... One of the guys re-drew the engineering diagrams for the Honda Valkyrie - what a job that must have been!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Grounding the input side of the diode matrix would be a Bad Thing, as you'd be bypassing the diode function which is to prevent current backflow from the 'safety circuits', one to another.

As far as I know, there's only the wiring diagram.

I believe that the starter lockout switch is the clutch switch.

T
I need steering again-Aren't the input(cathode sides grounded anyway - thru the safety switches? My head is starting to hurt!

Jim

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Jim Sizemore, this file may provide a wiring diagram closer to a schematic than what you're looking at now (Chapter 17):

http://www.diagramasde.com/diagramas/otros2/Kawasaki+KLR+650+(1987-2003+clymer).pdf

This is the whole Clymer manual for Generation 1s; I saw no copyright protection warnings; AFAIK this is public domain.

Anyhow, the RED/BLACK wire from the CDI must "see" a ground for the bike to run; the ground can come from several paths.

The starting circuit relay can pick up a ground from either the starter lockout ("clutch safety") switch or the neutral swith.

Switching logic prevents engine operation with the bike in gear, clutch lever out, and sidestand down.

As to the starter relay connections, the great big one connects directly to the battery positive terminal; the small connection connects to the starter circuit relay. + 12 VDC on the latter (from the starter button) engages the starter relay, connecting its contacts and powering the starter motor.

Wasn't gonna do this, but . . . here's a matrix of safety switch scenarios, a partial chart (the "how it works" column is missing), from an Internet posting long ago and far away:

Wish I had done a better job of saving the info, but--maybe this will be of some use.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Clymer manual

This is taking the guessing out for me. Wish my local had a place that stocked a manual. Thanks to you folks, things are starting to work out. Appreciate your patience with me. maybe we have helped others....

Jim

·
Administrator
8,364 Posts
I need steering again-Aren't the input(cathode sides grounded anyway - thru the safety switches? My head is starting to hurt!

Jim
Well, now you're making my head hurt, damn it!

T

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jim Sizemore,

Anyhow, the RED/BLACK wire from the CDI must "see" a ground for the bike to run; the ground can come from several paths.

The starting circuit relay can pick up a ground from either the starter lockout ("clutch safety") switch or the neutral swith.

Switching logic prevents engine operation with the bike in gear, clutch lever out, and sidestand down.

And this is why I wonder if more than one sw to gnd or neg needs to be completed....

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
And this is why I wonder if more than one sw to gnd or neg needs to be completed....
I don't fully understand your query; regardless . . . if you just want to defeat some safety switches, plenty of how-to articles, posts, even video clips are up on the 'Net.

Feed some key words, like "Bypassing KLR650 Safety Switches," to a search engine, and . . . you'll have reading material for a whole night! :)

·
Administrator
8,364 Posts
I kept getting confused as to whether it was a ground or an open that failed the matrix, so I had to enhance Damocles' chart.

Getting back to Jim's original question, though - I think the answer is yes, grounding the input side of the diode matrix (jumping the red/black and the black/yellow wires coming out of the CDI connector) would disable the safety circuits. The starter circuit might not work, though - sort of like scenario 5. Still confused about that.

Damocles?

T

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Getting back to Jim's original question, though - I think the answer is yes, grounding the input side of the diode matrix (jumping the red/black and the black/yellow wires coming out of the CDI connector) would disable the safety circuits. The starter circuit might not work, though - sort of like scenario 5. Still confused about that.

Damocles?

T
Looks like the ignition would be enabled, but . . . what about the starter circuit relay?

Upon further review, if grounds appear at the clutch safety switch and/or the neutral switch, looks like every time the starter button is pressed, engine oughta turn over!

BTW, the YES/NO "truth table" gives some extra dimension to the chart!

Previous discussion aside, what's the configuration of my safety switches? All stock, 'cept on the KLR250 sidestand switch; jumped it after it began to OPEN while underway in gear . . . since the KLR250 is kickstart only, little compromise in safety regarding inadvertent STARTING, but . . . riding away from the post office mail drop with the kickstand down is now possible! :)

·
Administrator
8,364 Posts
I've modified the wiring diagram by grounding the input side of the diodes (at the CDi connector; red circle). That effectively removes the diodes and all wires leading to and from them.

It looks to me like there is no ground circuit for the starter circuit relay if the bike is in gear or the clutch lever is out. Scenario 5.

Do you see the same?

T

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
I've modified the wiring diagram by grounding the input side of the diodes (at the CDi connector; red circle). That effectively removes the diodes and all wires leading to and from them.

It looks to me like there is no ground circuit for the starter circuit relay if the bike is in gear or the clutch lever is out. Scenario 5.

Do you see the same?

T
I see what you mean.

In the previous iteration (with the diode box intact, but CDI unit grounded), I assumed a starter circuit relay ground from LIGHT GREEN (clutch safety switch and/or neutral switch) to BLUE/RED. Untried and untested in either case, but a Scenario 5 ground for the starter circuit relay doesn't appear to be available on the revised wiring diagram above.

A work-around, a further wiring scheme alteration you might consider: Connect YELLOW/RED to BLACK at the starter circuit relay; then, the starter circuit relay won't need no stinkin' ground! The starter circuit relay will then become merely a ride-along spare for the fan relay (identical part). Or, after the connection, you may want to send the starter circuit relay to the same location as the diode bank.

Bypassing the starter circuit relay thusly, the starter relay will be activated every time the starter button is pushed (ignition switch ON).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts