Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

AHHHH! F***ing kick stand!!

43K views 71 replies 44 participants last post by  Fepony 
#1 ·
You'd thought after my '08 fell over, I'd learned, (it fell over twice, once beating up my new Aria helmet).
The KLR's (at least the 2 I had/have) "stand too straight up" on the kick stand.
(these "fall overs happen on the OTHER side of the lean).
This time it fell over against the fence by my house, (now, I've been stopping and getting off bikes at that spot like 10 plus years I've owned the house. Usually I hold the back of the KLR to keep it from thinking of going over as I close the gate, but this time?????).
Nice, my radator shroud is all cracked, a good chunk broken off, the Cee Bailey windshield I JUST installed has a nice scratch and the fairing at the windshieled mount has a nice crack.
Great! The bike doesn't even have 900 miles on it and it looks like I did a whole season of enduros with it!
Spent Saturday expoxing it all back together, (Looks like "Franken KLR)!:character00271:
Now! Let's look at the F***ing kick stand.
I took it off and above the pad where it has a straight section cut if about in the middle.
Shortened it up 1/2".
Drilled 2 1/4" holes in each section 1/4" from the cut
Took a 2" section of black 1/2" pipe and slid it inside the kick stand, about 1" sticking in each end. (fit nice)
I spot welded the black pipe to the kick stand at the holes, (like they do in axles in cars). This will strenthen the kick stand at the cut.
Gas welded the kick stand back together with a metal rod not brass, ground it smooth and re painted it.
You hardly tell it was cut, but more importantly, it leans a tad bit more on the stand.
Joe
I don't have this much hassle with my old BSA motorcycles!:49:

See less See more
#4 ·
The worse part is I had looked at the crash bars for the "wings" on the last KLR I had, and again when I looked at the "I need this for this new KLR", but fluffed it off, as a "if I ever get a few extra $$."
It was a toss up between the Cee Bailey windshield, (touring) and the bars.
I figured the windshield was needed more cuz of the cold weather settling in.
Now, not only do I need $235 for the bars, but also need the $$ for a new wing and I'm sure graphics, along with the scratched side panel. I don't even want to think about the front fairing.
If the bike had more miles or older, I say screw it, but hell it's only 3 months old!
Joe
I thought I'd be able to give my charge cards a rest this month!:64a:
I wonder if my wife and kids will get pissed if I buy them the KLR parts for MY bike for THEIR Xmas presents??:22a:

#6 · (Edited)
Light Train,
What bike are you riding?? It's an issue with the second generation bikes, with the side stand being too tall and not allowing the bike to lean over far enough in wind to keep it from blowing over.
Gen 1 bikes don't have the issue.. Mine leans over a long ways, and I have an aftermarket aluminum sidestand plate permanantly attached to the bottom so it won't sink in soft dirt or fresh blacktop.

#7 ·
If I were heading out into the wind blue yonder, or at least on my bike to a different time zone, I'd get a center stand just cuz I ALWAYS seem to pick up a nail in the rear tire.
My Royal Enfield had a center stand, nice when I was leaving it for the day, but a quick stop and go, it's a pain.
Plus the OVER sized KLR stand is FREE, you just gotta shorten up a bit!
Joe
I'm beginning to realize there is no PERFECT bike!:21a:

#13 ·
i feel your pain first day i bought my bike it fell over twice second time damaging the front fairing and another bike it fell on to .. it blows me away with all the complaints about it its still not fixed ..

my solution was cutting 2 inches off the leg and welding foot back on .. still think nce its loaded for the weekend it needs to be a inch shorter ..

#14 ·
If Kawasaki did not put the kickstand on it would be better. You could cut it since it was off and you would just expect it to fall without a kickstand. I have never worried about a bike on its stock stand before. Im fully capable of moding. But it baffles me that it comes that way.

#18 ·
you may want to keep it ,once you load it down it sits pretty straight with 2 inches off ..

#19 ·
Mine was having issues..

Mostly when it was all loaded up for a trip.

I always need to make sure I put the kick stand on the low side of a hill.

Since I replaced my shock it's much better.

#20 ·
I got my 2011 and the stand was ok. I kitted it up for touring and the stand was too long. I shortened it 1" then it was fine. The rear shock was too soft so I built and installed a 5/8" spring spacer . Now my stand is too short..... :arghh: I think KLRs just like to sleep on their sides!

justjeff

#21 ·
#25 ·
i even dropped mine in my shop today trying to put it on center stand with it loaded with my bags .. it fell onto wifes bike putting hers into the wall ... lol i broke the right side mirror mount need to come up with a fix

#26 ·
So we ride up to the end of the road at Mt. Baker, WA to gawk and take pictures, walk on the 8 ft of snow in August etc. On the way down the switchbacks I stop on the side of the road in the perfect spot to take a picture of my riding pal as he leans it through the corner etc. I park up, get off Trigger, take a great picture...

I get back on the bike - there is about 1 ft of pavement I am parked on, then sloping bit of gravel shoulder then about a 100 ft down very steep slope to the road grade below. I stand the bike up, I can just reach the lowside gravelly ball bearing covered ground with the very tippy toe, and the swine won't come off the side stand... and if I risk leaning right any farther we are going to fall down, then make a grand exit down the alpine slope..

Start the bike and ride off the stand? Nope... safety switch...

I try a couple precarious back and forths like your preschool grand kids do when their 2 wheelers get stuck in the spring mud... nope...

So there I am, on the left side, leaning the bike away from me to the abyss, arse stuck out for counterbalance, doing a sort of downhill rolling side stepping teetering kick at the side stand while bike tries to roll away and fall over at the cliff at same time....

My riding pal is parked down below on 1 acre of flat gravel looking up at me like I have lost my mind...

And no, I still haven't cut off the stand or put on a center stand.... slow on the uptake I am..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.