Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using No-Toil air cleaner oil and cleaner but... what are you using? What do you do when you clean your air cleaner while traveling?

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
I use Dawn and really hot water (just a stock air filter on mine). My travels don't generally exceed an oil change interval, but I've used the wee bottle of Dawn that cleans the dishes and I carry a similar bottle of oil on desert trips. I can't remember what the name of the oil is right now - got it from Buster.

Keep thinking I should get a spare filter and carry it with me, all oiled up and ready to go.
Haven't got past the thinking part...

T

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I have done it many ways. Soap. Kerosene. Lately, it has been PJ1 cleaner and oil.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Hot soapy (Dawn) water for cleaning and PJ1 for oil.. I keep a clean, spare filter at home in a gallon ziploc bag, ready to install..

Install the new one, wash the old one and let it dry, oil and stuff in bag for next time.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I use Dawn and really hot water (just a stock air filter on mine). My travels don't generally exceed an oil change interval, but I've used the wee bottle of Dawn that cleans the dishes and I carry a similar bottle of oil on desert trips. I can't remember what the name of the oil is right now - got it from Buster.

Keep thinking I should get a spare filter and carry it with me, all oiled up and ready to go.
Haven't got past the thinking part...

T

Heard of Filter Skins? They fit over the aircleaner and act as a pre-filter. Pull their string and you have a mostly clean airfilter underneath.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
The No-Toil system is the way to go.
+1

I can't believe that anyone after using No-Toil would ever use anything else again.

No-Toil does warn about using the original formula on Uni filters. I switched to the Evolution but I don't like it as much as the red stuff. I did notice that the original formula made the seams on the Uni tacky but it didn't come apart in 2+ years.

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
Heard of Filter Skins? They fit over the aircleaner and act as a pre-filter. Pull their string and you have a mostly clean airfilter underneath.
Spec -

Great concept; those would have been really useful at and after Moab.

Gotta look into those.

Other than that, what Paper said...

T

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
It's simple.. I have soap.. I have hot water.. I'm cheap.. I own a KLR..

Need I say more??:11a:

The No-Toil cleaner is a dry detergent that you mix in hot water. Drop the filter in and the oil practically falls off. Really it's great much easier than dish soap. The filter gets squeaky clean, some even clean their filters in the dishwasher (unmarried guys I'm sure).

Not trying to convert you just saying...

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
The No-Toil cleaner is a dry detergent that you mix in hot water. Drop the filter in and the oil practically falls off. Really it's great much easier than dish soap. The filter gets squeaky clean, some even clean their filters in the dishwasher (unmarried guys I'm sure).

Not trying to convert you just saying...
I've been kicking around the dishwasher.. I already use it for removing cosomoline from guns...

How did you know I wasn't married..:33a:

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Funny the dishwasher thing came up. Mrs. Flash and I have moved recently and some remodeling is in order. One of the things she say's must go is the dishwasher, a circa 1970 Kitchen-Aid Imperial built by Hobart that needs a a timer that is no longer available. It runs but wont shut off automatically. The appliance guy we had out said it was "badass", steel / porcelain tank, 1 1/2 horsepower motor, don't make them like that anymore, shame, etc.

I now have a shop that I could actually use this as a parts washer and the wheels are turning. So my question is this, what kind of cleaning agent could I safely use as a parts washer in it? I was a bachelor once and know not to squirt Dawn into it when the dishwasher tablets run out :-0

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
So my question is this, what kind of cleaning agent could I safely use as a parts washer in it? I was a bachelor once and know not to squirt Dawn into it when the dishwasher tablets run out :-0
My old firearms come out lemony fresh with Walmarts brand of gel dish detergent.. My dishes come out the same way.. :)

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Darn now I have to find a dishwasher for the garage and I don't have a dishwasher for the house. Single, yes.

The air cleaner information is very good and diverse. Just what I was looking for. I am giving the No-Toil a test to San Diego and back then decide if I need to carry cleaner and oil for the eight state + Canada trip.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Darn now I have to find a dishwasher for the garage and I don't have a dishwasher for the house. Single, yes.

The air cleaner information is very good and diverse. Just what I was looking for. I am giving the No-Toil a test to San Diego and back then decide if I need to carry cleaner and oil for the eight state + Canada trip.
Shhhh...
Tim, I don't know if you're hoteling it or not, but shampoo in the hotel works on air filters in the shower.. Hee Hee..

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
I use the No Toil as well. I bought a 2 litre jug of the red alcohol based stuff. I use Oxy Clean and hot water to clean it though, a lot cheaper than the No Toil Cleaner! I used to use the really sticky oils but I hate washing the filter in Varsol when it comes time to clean it again.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
last three posts: creative, frugal, just plain smart, and not necesarily in that order. Would have never thought about the motel soap and shower. Thanks for the brand names.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
last three posts: creative, frugal, just plain smart, and not necesarily in that order. Would have never thought about the motel soap and shower. Thanks for the brand names.
Well, every once in a while I have to (and I hate to admit this) wash clothes in the shower while on jobs.. I usually take enough clothes for an extra day, but sometimes that's not enough, and I don't have time to go to a laundrymat.. Toss em' on the floor of the tub, use up some soap to wash as good as possible, rinse well, hang overnight, and dry what's left in the morning with an iron..

Sometimes ya gotta do what you gotta do..:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts