Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone with first hand knowledge tell me of their experiences with air filters for the Gen 3? Before coming to this Forum, I had no idea how much dislike there was for K&N.

Having said that, comparing any of these alternatives to the stock filter, I am wondering how much consensus there is. Thank you.

STOCK FILTER

UNI FILTER

TWIN AIR FILTER

HI FLO FILTER

OTHER BRAND

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Yeah, there is no good reason to run a K&N on a KLR. Stock is fine; Uni or Twin Air flow better......IIRC I had to trim the opening on the TwinAir. I recommend using proper foam filter oil and it doesn't hurt to use some grease on the lip (I use white lithium)

Dave

·
Premium Member
9,555 Posts
The fine pored OEM Kawasaki foam air filter Filters & Flows quite well even with common engine oils. Even (cleaning) alongside a road/trail or in a campground (with nothing but gasoline from your tank to clean with, in a plastic Sub-Way bag, according to member @GoMotor). One could even open the oil filter to use some crankcase oil for re-oiling in a real pinch!

The coarser Twin-Air, Uni-Filter, etc NEED to have the stickier Foam Air Filter oils! (To reduce oil drain out/dry-out.)

All of the foams NEED to have Enough oil massaged thru them to be able to Squeeze at-least a few drips back OUT of them between your fingers. (If one is squeezing ounces back out, don't use So Much next time.)
I think that I remember Tom Schmitz saying that 3 Tablespoons / 1.5 ounces is nearly 'perfect'. ;)

ps, I never grease a KLR650 air filter lip, because all of the KLR650 air boxes are very flat, unlike my KX500.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, there is no good reason to run a K&N on a KLR. Stock is fine; Uni or Twin Air flow better......IIRC I had to trim the opening on the TwinAir. I recommend using proper foam filter oil and it doesn't hurt to use some grease on the lip (I use white lithium)

Dave
The fine pored OEM Kawasaki foam air filter Filters & Flows quite well even with common engine oils. Even alongside a road/trail or in a campground.
The coarser Twin-Air, Uni-Filter, etc NEED to have the stickier Foam Air Filter oils! (To reduce oil drain out/dry-out.)

All of the foams NEED to have Enough oil massaged thru them to be able to Squeeze at-least a few drips back OUT of them between your fingers. (If one is squeezing ounces back out, don't use So Much next time.)
I think that I remember Tom Schmitz saying that 3 Tablespoons / 1.5 ounces is nearly 'perfect'. ;)

ps, I never grease a KLR650 air filter lip, because all of the KLR650 air boxes are very flat, unlike my KX500.
DP, it seems as though the Uni has the edge so far... thanks.

Dave, I have both K&N SPRAY and LIQUID filter oils, thanks.

To all, I decided to pull the filter in my brand new 2022 to check it and the entire filter was just slightly oily, but a small area at the very bottom was literally DRENCHED in oil, straight from the factory. Please keep the comments coming.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
[QUOTE="
the filter in my brand new 2022 to check it and the entire filter was just slightly oily, but a small area at the very bottom was literally DRENCHED in oil, straight from the factory. Please keep the comments coming.
[/QUOTE]

What? Blame gravity! It's holding us all down and that makes me so mad. ;)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[QUOTE="
the filter in my brand new 2022 to check it and the entire filter was just slightly oily, but a small area at the very bottom was literally DRENCHED in oil, straight from the factory. Please keep the comments coming.
What? Blame gravity! It's holding us all down and that makes me so mad. ;)
[/QUOTE]

So THAT'S why KLR front wheels seem positively glued to the ground even under hard acceleration!!!...:sneaky:

·
Registered
285 Posts
What? Blame gravity! It's holding us all down and that makes me so mad.

"Gravity sucks!" weighed in Tom. "I was going to make a joke about gravity, but I just dropped it."

·
Registered
175 Posts
I did a UNI filter in the last year. Do heed the advice of posters above on effective oiling of the foam. Get it totally saturated (I used Bel Ray) then squeeze excess out. I used a red plastic folgers coffee container. put a 3-5 oz in the bottom and hold it crooked making a puddle. This way you can plow the filter through the puddle ensuring all foam gets saturated. then work your way around the foam clockwise ensuring excess gets squeezed out. but leaving it oily is good, and a bit of a drip mess should be planned on. It will make it to your garage floor, so put a pizza box down.
The UNI filter is a quality product. line6

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DO NOT use the very thin K&N oils on ANY Foam Air Filters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The K&N oil is for Cotton Gauze air filters ONLY!!
Correct PD. Yet, my new stock filter was already oiled from the factory. I just added a bit more temporarily, and went with the Uni filter as a replacement.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
DP, it seems as though the Uni has the edge so far... thanks.

Please keep the comments coming.
I can save you any further musings; the Uni will come out on top in the end. Unless you want to duplicate flow testing done by the late KLRCary and Patman racing, this is as far as the collective wisdom goes.

Dave

·
Registered
'22 Sand Khaki, non-ABS
69 Posts
So, what is wrong with the filter in the bike already? Damaged?

Reactions: Torquey

·
Premium Member
9,555 Posts
but leaving it oily is good, and a bit of a drip mess should be planned on. It will make it to your garage floor, so put a pizza box down.
If sticky Bel-Ray or other sticky air filter oil is dripping from any foam air filter after installing into any bike, one is NOT Squeezing Enough oil back out of it!
An over-oiled foam air filter is safer than under-oiled, but it will restrict its air flow. Especially if using the stickier air filter oils on the fine pored oem filters.

I normally squeeze the wadded up oiled foam filters in my hands between my knees to get as much as possible back out.
Then massage what is left on my hands back into the foam for even coloring. No drips in box with sticky oils.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, what is wrong with the filter in the bike already? Damaged?
Absolutely nothing is wrong with the stock filter, though it looks decidedly "cheap" compared to other filters I have seen. Yet if I can get a filter which filters particulates just as well while providing a better flow rate, I'll take it every time, especially at its really cheap price.

·
Registered
'22 Sand Khaki, non-ABS
69 Posts
Absolutely nothing is wrong with the stock filter, though it looks decidedly "cheap" compared to other filters I have seen. Yet if I can get a filter which filters particulates just as well while providing a better flow rate, I'll take it every time, especially at its really cheap price.
That’s fine. Just wondering mostly. I’ve found the choice in oil made the biggest difference in filtration with the foamies. That’s said I’ll echo everyone else with OEM or UNI.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That’s fine. Just wondering mostly. I’ve found the choice in oil made the biggest difference in filtration with the foamies. That’s said I’ll echo everyone else with OEM or UNI.
OK, Colton, you've got me intrigued. Please tell me about the differences you have noted in filter oils! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,555 Posts
I made an edit to post #4. I'll copy that portion to here for easy reading.

The fine pored OEM Kawasaki foam air filter Filters & Flows quite well even with common engine oils. Even (cleaning) alongside a road/trail or in a campground (with nothing but gasoline from your tank to clean with, in a plastic Sub-Way bag, according to member @GoMotor). One could even open the oil filter to use some crankcase oil for re-oiling in a real pinch!

·
Registered
'22 Sand Khaki, non-ABS
69 Posts
OK, Colton, you've got me intrigued. Please tell me about the differences you have noted in filter oils! Thanks.
It's all seat-of-pants dyno stuff, but some oils seem to be very sticky and stay tacky longer and others seem to be a bit more "wishful" in their use. I should have said "choice of oil, and a proper application" because a wool sock properly soaked in vegetable oil is probably more effective than a proper filter with a shite coating of even the best filter oil.

I've been using the Maxima FAB1 oil that comes bundled with filter cleaning spray (can also be bought on its own). It goes on a bluish color so you can see how evenly you have it applied. Seems to stay put also instead of pooling at the bottom of the filter. Bel-Ray has been good too.

Honestly a regular cleaning and proper application of any oil is going to make the biggest difference for any bike.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts