Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Administrator
9,379 Posts
"There's a ***** in my armor", Tom said wontonly.

·
Premium Member
4,086 Posts
No UNI for me...after I found massive amounts of talcum powder in the carburetor inlet of my previous 2018 KLR shortly after installing.
OEM filter has been excellent, with the snorkel removed.
Nothing wrong with the OEM, but FYI, I've had zero particulates get past my UNI's on both KLR's with my Bel-Ray filter oil and I've been using them for many years now....and I ride mostly offroad, often in dusty conditions. If I had seen any dirt on the clean side, I'd have gone back to the finer OEM filter too; nothing worse for the engine than ingesting dirt (well, maybe running it low on oil!)

2 cents,
Dave

·
Registered
2022 KLR650 - Fully loaded
24 Posts
Nothing wrong with the OEM, but FYI, I've had zero particulates get past my UNI's on both KLR's with my Bel-Ray filter oil and I've been using them for many years now....and I ride mostly offroad, often in dusty conditions. If I had seen any dirt on the clean side, I'd have gone back to the finer OEM filter too; nothing worse for the engine than ingesting dirt (well, maybe running it low on oil!)

2 cents,
Dave
I also haven’t heard of too many complaints from the KLR community who run Uni filters. Reviews seem to be good as well, but I’ll stick with the OEM filter. Being able to see thru the Uni steered me away from it.

Reactions: DPelletier

·
Premium Member
9,518 Posts
I used Uni filter oil very liberally on the filter.
Some air filter oils need to be Shaken WELL before using, because their thinners rise to the top when stored.
I've seen separation of the No-Toil brand oil on the shelf & I quit selling it. I do not know whether or not the Uni-Filter oil might separate. But I do shake my Bel-Ray, just in case.

Also, did you massage the Liquid Uni-filter Oil thru & thru the brand new Uni-Filter or just aerosol spray the exterior surface?

Reactions: Torquey

·
Registered
24 Posts
Some air filter oils need to be Shaken WELL before using, because their thinners rise to the top when stored.
I've seen separation of the No-Toil brand oil on the shelf & I quit selling it. I do not know whether or not the Uni-Filter oil might separate. But I do shake my Bel-Ray, just in case.

Also, did you massage the Liquid Uni-filter Oil thru & thru the brand new Uni-Filter or just aerosol spray the exterior surface?
I prefer to apply oil very liberally on both the inside & outside of all my dirtbike/motorcycle filters, then lightly dampen off the excess with a paper towel. Since I have a can of Uni oil, I use it on my OEM filters and it's worked well on all my other applications. Sticky & messy, but it works!
Uni seems to be similar to K&N. Holding them up to a light, I've been able to see thru both brand filters which is as turn-off for me. I've seen gobs of dirt in various turbo inlet tubes on diesel engines that have run K&N filters. They must flow air a little too well.

·
Premium Member
4,086 Posts
I prefer to apply oil very liberally on both the inside & outside of all my dirtbike/motorcycle filters, then lightly dampen off the excess with a paper towel. Since I have a can of Uni oil, I use it on my OEM filters and it's worked well on all my other applications. Sticky & messy, but it works!
Uni seems to be similar to K&N. Holding them up to a light, I've been able to see thru both brand filters which is as turn-off for me. I've seen gobs of dirt in various turbo inlet tubes on diesel engines that have run K&N filters. They must flow air a little too well.

I definitely agree with you on the K&N and your post will push me to do some more white glove testing the next few times I'm servicing my filters just to be sure. Thanks.

Dave

·
Administrator
9,379 Posts
No, no, no, none of this spray it on or dampening both sides and dabbing with a towel ****** stuff. You get you some FFT and put a couple of ounces of that sticky ****** stuff in a freezer bag with the UNI. Then you start massaging that ****** stuff and hope that the bag don't break, because holy ****** stuff, that ****** stuff is some sticky ****** stuff. I put that ****** stuff on everything.

When you're done the entire filter should show evidence of being oiled and there's won't be any of that FFT ****** stuff left except a thin film in the bag because that ****** stuff is such sticky ****** stuff that a tiny amount of the ****** stuff will be let in the bag. I love UNI filters, they're the ****** stuff.

·
Premium Member
9,518 Posts
I prefer to apply oil very liberally on both the inside & outside of all my dirtbike/motorcycle filters, then lightly dampen off the excess with a paper towel.
If one is not massaging the oil thru the Entire foam filter by rolling them up tight in ones hands & squeezing it thru & thru until one has added enough oil to physically squeeze a few drips between ones fingers, the foam is not Thoroughly Oiled.

The aerosol spray, foam filter oils were intended to be used on the fairly thin foam street bike filters that are permanently mounted to a plastic Frame (can't wad them up and squeeze it thru). But even they should have the oil mashed thru the foam, the best that one can.
Not dirt bike quality filters, but one can, it just gets much more expensive from an aerosol can, IME.

Reactions: Torquey

·
Registered
24 Posts
If one is not massaging the oil thru the Entire foam filter by rolling them up tight in ones hands & squeezing it thru & thru until one has added enough oil to physically squeeze a few drips between ones fingers, the foam is not Thoroughly Oiled.

The aerosol spray, foam filter oils were intended to be used on the fairly thin foam street bike filters that are permanently mounted to a plastic Frame (can't wad them up and squeeze it thru). But even they should have the oil mashed thru the foam, the best that one can.
Not dirt bike quality filters, but one can, it just gets much more expensive from an aerosol can, IME.
Been oiling filters for years, I'm pretty sure I've been doing it correctly. Thanks for checking!
Regardless, you should not be able to see through an air filter that's supposed to filter out dirt particles...which is why I prefer to run Kawi OEM filters on my KLR.
To each their own!

·
Premium Member
4,086 Posts
As far as procedure goes; I take my cleaned filter and pour a healthy amount of blue Bel-Ray filter oil inside it and then I squeeze/massage it in with my hands, adding additional filter oil to the outside and any other areas I feel are light and I keep up the process until the filter is uniform in color and coverage. Then I spread a thin layer of white lithium grease around the lip and install.

Dave

·
Administrator
9,379 Posts
"Well, for the 24th time, I'm just peeking around", Tom said sportily.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts