Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried one of these ? The Corbin is an improvement but still not that great. If I could take some padding off my gut and put it on my butt, Id be good to go !

·
Registered
101 Posts
A sheepskin pad and the Corbin are the perfect combination. I would just buy a little 1/2 nap peice of sheepskin and make your own though. Save some $$.

Another thing to note is that Corbin's do break in with use. It takes about 3 months before they are really sweet.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JaySoy said:
A sheepskin pad and the Corbin are the perfect combination. I would just buy a little 1/2 nap peice of sheepskin and make your own though. Save some $$.

Another thing to note is that Corbin's do break in with use. It takes about 3 months before they are really sweet.

Got about 10,000 miles on the Corbin. Its broken in, my butts the problem :!: :!:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've used the AK sheepskins on three different bikes now and even added one to my office chair. They are a nice improvement to most any seat but not a cure for a really bad seat. I had an Aprilia Caponord (wonderful bike) and the stock seat sucked. The AK sheepskin turned the Aprilia into a 150 mile seat from a 50 mile seat. My ST1300 stock seat was ok for about 200 miles. With the sheepskin I could go about 350 before it got uncomfortable. I've added a Corbin to my KLR but have not ridden it enough to tell if the sheepskin is necessary but it I was leaving for a long pavement ride I'd probably put it in the duffle just in case.

Doug

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
My opion is the "air hawk" system is the way to go. I just won't pay the price for an air pillow. The sheep skins help, but after a while any change is a big improvement. The wife and I bought a rug from the dollar store on our first weekend ride on the KLR. Threw it over the seat and man what a change a $2 rug made. After two days in the saddle just the rug made such a diffrence, it made the last two days bearable.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think they work great! I've been using them on my sportbikes for years. They help a lot in both hot and cold weather.

If you type in the words "dead sheep" in the discount slot you'll get a 10% discount.

I've long considered Barb, the owner of www.alaskaleather.com "the rider's best friend" up here in that she'll do whatever it takes to get someone into proper gear. She's also done a lot of touring around the world and has tested a lot of the gear she sells. We're lucky to have her up here. Mark H.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All set with Barb. FWIW, she suggested ordering one of the pillion sizes if I only need to cover a portion of the seat where I get butt burn. About a $20 saving. Thanks to all for the replys. :D :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
KLR AK said:
I think they work great! I've been using them on my sportbikes for years. They help a lot in both hot and cold weather.

If you type in the words "dead sheep" in the discount slot you'll get a 10% discount.

I've long considered Barb, the owner of www.alaskaleather.com "the rider's best friend" up here in that she'll do whatever it takes to get someone into proper gear. She's also done a lot of touring around the world and has tested a lot of the gear she sells. We're lucky to have her up here. Mark H.
To get the discount make sure to enter deadsheep with no caps or spaces. The order form wont apply the discount if caps or spaces are used. :wink:

·
Registered
26 Posts
You'll really enjoy that pad! I have them on the two bikes I use to ride distance and they are a lifesaver(buttsaver?)!!! :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BikerDave said:
You'll really enjoy that pad! I have them on the two bikes I use to ride distance and they are a lifesaver(buttsaver?)!!! :D
I ended up ordering the 13" x 11" pillion pad which will cover the part of the seat I sit on.( No passengers on the KLR ) Really looking forward to trying it out :!: :!: If it's that much better, I may get one to cover the Mustang on my Vulcan.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Only got to do a 65 mile test ride but I think I'm reeeeeeealy going to like this.

[/img]

·
Registered
477 Posts
After reading this and going to there web site, I to just ordered one. Maybe it will quit raining when it gets here :roll:

·
Registered
477 Posts
Slaghammer said:
Which cover did you order ?
This one. It just came yesterday. I stuck it on the Strom first because I didn't have to take any bolts out to put it on...It is the medium, 15"x16".....

The KLR did get the sticker though..........

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Think your really going to like it. Mine has one strap in the middle and I found that if I stand up, the front of it would fold back with the wind. Four small velcro tabs solved the problem. ;)

·
Registered
206 Posts
What happens to these things when it rains?

I'm sure its much like when its still on the sheep, gets wet, then dries out. Just wondering if it collects a lot of moisture then lets it soak threw your waterproof pants if your sitting on it for a long time.

Brian

·
Registered
74 Posts
They do get pretty wet when it rains but it only takes a second to pull over, remove it from the seat and store it somewhere if you have a dry place to put it. If it does get wet just pull it off, shake out the excess water and hang it up. It'll be dry in a few hours.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Slaghammer said:
Think your really going to like it. Mine has one strap in the middle and I found that if I stand up, the front of it would fold back with the wind. Four small velcro tabs solved the problem. ;)
I tucked mine between the seat and tank when I put the seat back on. Not sure how that will work with the KLR.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts