Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this on the (WWW) and thought, why not make one myself
Tried with a soda can, but they are so flimsy and thin, it was a disaster from the word go
Then I had an empty chain lube canister on the shelve, wanted to throw it away a long time ago, but yes, it didn't happen
Open up the top

Cut off the bottom, 3,5 cm

Turned around the cut off section, and inserted into bottom, mallet and block of wood, gently but firmly

Just another view of insertion

Made a rough drawing to have 16 holes

Cut off insertion and drilled 1 mm holes just under the brim of the insertion

Filled with a bit of methylated spirits and wait till the flames comes out of the holes on the outside

A container with water, and within a few minutes, steaming hot boiling water

Quite amazed with the outcome, the next trip there will be hot coffee

·
Administrator
8,350 Posts
I've tried various alcohol stoves, all made from soda cans. I was impressed with them on the bench in the garage.

Last week I was out in the toolies for three days and took a soda can stove along. I have a 4 cup percolator and thought the stove should be able to make coffee. No joy; it just got the water pretty well pre-heated so I could finish it off on my regular stove.

I think the problem was size and capacity, so I'm going to try your style of stove.

Have you made coffee yet?

Tom

·
Registered
120 Posts
That stove turned out real nice!

I use a cat food can stove when I'm backpacking.

With 1 oz of alcohol, I can get 2 cups of water really hot (boiling on a good day). Pour that into a ziploc bag with dehydrated food in it and place the ziploc in a tiny insulated lunch bag. Give it a few minutes to 'cook' and you've got a nice hot meal.

In the end, it uses very little fuel and the fuel is very light. All in all, a great backpacking stove.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've been using an alcohol stove for a number of years. Small enuf to take along in a day pack for pm tea. I found that it Really needed a wind screen to stay lit at 10,000 feet. Have a friend drink a big can or two of Foster's and cut for a windscreen. I cut mine so it rolled up inside my cooking cup. Used a hole punch for some vents at the bottom. Just put it around the stove so there's a bit of clearance around the pot

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've tried various alcohol stoves, all made from soda cans. I was impressed with them on the bench in the garage.

Last week I was out in the toolies for three days and took a soda can stove along. I have a 4 cup percolator and thought the stove should be able to make coffee. No joy; it just got the water pretty well pre-heated so I could finish it off on my regular stove.

I think the problem was size and capacity, so I'm going to try your style of stove.

Have you made coffee yet?

Tom
Made a nice brew with the stove, it works like a charm

·
Registered
2 Posts
That Stove looks great. I am using one made out of an Aluminum can (i bought mine from Whitebox stoves).
I have used it from Virginia to 10,000 feet in Colorado. It was the only stove i used and boiled coffee, made pasta, cooked breakfast (eggs and bacon)
they work great if they are designed well. I agree with UncleWray, a heat/ windscreen is a must. if you use this all the time it does help in the cooking process as nothing is lost.
Mine is the same design as yours and about 2-3 ounces of Heet (yellow bottle) will boil and cook just about anything.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
i saw a tutorial on one where he put crimps in the top part instead of poking holes. watched him boil a pot of water with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts