Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I guess this has been hashed and rehashed but here goes. I would like to hear from some folks who have been there. I need to know what is the best tire,longest treadlife and handles best for a strictley highway commuter and maybe 10% gravel/dirt roads. I rode street and trail bikes for years when I was younger but all Ive had for the last 25yrs has been bigger road bikes. I recently rode a friends klr and it was a blast. I came home and bought one but the tires are 50/50 and I would like to change them. All input will be greatly appreciated. Happy trails. Bearman out!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I'm running an Avon Gripster on the rear and the stocker on the front and really liking the combo. Bout time for a new front and I will probably go with stock again...cheap and it runs nice. The Gripster on the rear made a HUGE difference. I am a road rider, too. Hit the gravel and dirt rarely. And not for long periods of time.

Avon Distanzia's are supposed to be good, but they were more expensive. There are other brands too, but I heard a lot of good things about the Gripster and I have NO complaints. My .02. Let the games begin. :16a:

PS - Out of all the street oriented tires I looked at (I decided not to cheap out on tires) the Gripster was the cheapest of the lot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lockjaw, thanks for the input. I'll give it some thought. What is your take on the Michelin Anakee tires? I am really considering a set of these. Bearman out!

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Lockjaw, thanks for the input. I'll give it some thought. What is your take on the Michelin Anakee tires? I am really considering a set of these. Bearman out!
Anakees stick on wet and dry pavement like glue. You'll get around 8-10K miles of life out of them, or more.. They're so-so off road.. If you're just on hardpack dirt or gravel, they're fine, but any of the 90/10 radials are just not at home in mud or sand..

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Anakee...I couldn't think of the name. Yeah, I looked at those. They were significantly more than the Gripsters at the shop here. Price did play a factor. :16a:

So yeah, don't really know anything about them. Anyone try Avon vs. Anakee?

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Typically, the Anakees run a touch over $200 for a pair, shipped.. I've always mounted my own.. Double A has a set on right now and his will see 9K pretty easily. I got 8k out of mine, but I'm hard on tires..

Although, I did do a weekend of trail riding in the UP with Anakees that were about 2/3 worn, and didn't have any problems in the wet, but it was wet sand..

My bike is currently wearing Kenda 270's.. They (my opinion) suck on the road. Very squishy in corners.. They squish and then settle, but it gets your attention when they squish.. My next set are Kenda 761's.. I think they'll be a great compromise, and they were $100 for the set..

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm on my third set of Pirelli Scorpion MT-90 S/T's.... They're rated 95/5 and work great on hwy and backroads. I can scrape the pegs without worry on winding roads. Haven't done much off-road except a little hard packed fire roads. Worked OK there. I get about 7-8 K out of the rear and 8-9 out of the front. My '08 KLR can take better advantage of them then my '05 could.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input. That sounds like something I would be interested in. 95/5 would probably suit my needs and the treadlife sounds about right. I will look at those. Thanks again. Bearman out!

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
Kenda K761

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I have used...
*Stock - suck front or rear.
*Gripster - very good on and off road. NO mud.
*Distanzia - very good especially on the road. OK fire roads. NO mud.
*Next set will be TKC80's - mainly because I have a V-Strom for road travel. TKC80's should out ride me off road.

·
Registered
815 Posts
My suggestion is to ride the stockers until you get a little more taste of off-roading. Stockers actually do pretty darn good for street and dry off-roading. You may be thinking 90on/10off right now, but you haven't owned a KLR that long and haven't had the chance to discover the thrills of more challenging off-road trails yet and then you'll want something more 50/50 like the Mefo 99 Explorers. You can always swap tires again anytime, but money is money.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts