Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Ordered and received a set of All Balls fork seals for my 08. I plan on swapping them out now that the riding season is pretty much done for the year. For a lark, I googled the All Ball's seals and got lots of negative reviews on them... Kind of wish I had googled em before. My question is, has anyone had good luck with the All Balls seals or should I just ebay them and order a set of OEM seals? I don't relish the thought of pulling the forks again so I want the repair to last. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Stew

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Kawasaki seemed to get it right with forks seals. I haven't had good luck with any fork seal on a Kawasaki other than OEM.

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Darn... I was scared of that. Leaning more towards ebaying them and buying OEM now. Forks sure started leaking quick on this bike... I think my left one was leaking around 5000 Km's. Thanks for the help.

Cheers,
Stew

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
No that I have seen everything there is to see happen to a KLR 650, but I have yet to see a truly blown out fork seal on a KLR 650. I have run across a bunch that have leaked because of trash [dirt grit, grain of sand, etc] caught up between the ram and the seal, which, once cleaned out, quit leaking. Some old bikes that have sat for years may have rotted out fork seals, but even those will quit leaking if properly cleaned up. Again, anything is possible. If the issue is simply fork oil visible, I would be in there cleaning before I replaced.

http://www.sealmate.net/instructions.html

Cut a playing card to half width and notch it....that will clean the seal out as well.

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, I'm going to give that a shot. The staunchins look like brand new on the bike with no pitting, scratches or anything, makes me wonder why it started leaking in the first place. Maybe it is just a bit of dirt holding the seal off the staunchin. Hopefully anyway, would save me tearing it all apart. Plus, from what I have read on the All Balls seals they sound like duds. Oh well, guess I can still use the fork oil anyway! Thanks again :D

Cheers,
Stew

·
Registered
272 Posts
all balls seals

I use all balls seals frequently in all manner of customer bikes. Have never had any problems with them. They incorporate a triple lip design as opposed tothe more conventional ( and more common) double lip style.
Stay away from Leak Proof brand seals, I refuse to install them.

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use all balls seals frequently in all manner of customer bikes. Have never had any problems with them. They incorporate a triple lip design as opposed tothe more conventional ( and more common) double lip style.
Stay away from Leak Proof brand seals, I refuse to install them.
Good to know that some people have had success with them... They pretty much get slammed on the net. I bought a SealMate to try on the fork as well. Hoping it will work as I don't want to disassemble the forks unless I have to, but I'll hang onto the All Balls seals in case it still leaks.

Cheers,
Stew

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
I haven't tried the All Balls but did try Leak Proof seals on my Honda CBX. Let's just say they lied. I stick to the OEM fork seals.

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't tried the All Balls but did try Leak Proof seals on my Honda CBX. Let's just say they lied. I stick to the OEM fork seals.
Yup, on hindsight I would have bought OEM seals, I didn't realize there was so much variation in the aftermarket ones. I'm still hoping it's just a little crud and that the SealMate will fix it.

Cheers,
Stew

·
Registered
507 Posts
All good info here, mine are currently leaking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know I am bringing this back up, but how do you remove the dust seal without taking everything apart.

On and upside down for it looks simple, but on the KLR fork do you use and screw driver also to break it loose?
I am afraid to scratch the slider leg.

THanks for the help

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Yo Bong. Welcome to the forum. Which generation bike do you have? Pre-08, or 08 n' newer?

This diagram is for the Gen I, '07 and older bikes. As you see, there is a small snap ring at the top. I use a small standard screwdriver to manipulate the snap ring off. It won't shoot through the garage wall, or put your eye out. It will just pop out of the groove it sets in. Study it close before you pop them both. It is critical to get those snap rings properly seated when you reassemble.

The next item below the snap ring is the wiper / dust cover, and it is resting there unsecured. You can work it out with thumb and forefinger. Next is the fork seal. I blow them using an air compressor, adding air to the schrader valve on the GenI bikes. I guess Kawasaki didn't think the Gen II bikes would get used enough to warrant fork seal changes, and omitted the schrader valve on the Gen II bikes. [Schrader valve. That tire filler looking thingy at the very top of the forks.]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the quick answer and welcome greeting =-)

I have an 05 that started leaking oil out of one leg for no reason. I was sitting fine all winter in the garage and when I moved it a few weeks back to do the spring maintenance, oil started dripping out.
I want to remove the dust seal to try and clean it out. The bike only has 12 000km on it and was not beaten. I find it hard to beleive that I have a blown seal.

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As a little follow up to this thread (and Vatrader's excellent advice!) I ordered a SealMate last winter and tried it out this spring. I was quite surprised when I pulled the wiper up to find a tiny nick in the tube! Barely even visible but you could catch a fingernail on it. I got some superfine wet and dry sandpaper and very gingerly polished the nick out until you couldn't catch your nail on it, then I ran the SealMate around the seal twice... No leaks since then! I still have my new seals if I do have to replace them, but I would prefer not to tear my forks apart if I don't have to. I would have used the film or the playing card instead of the SealMate but I had the time to wait... Loong winter! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Bong, I doubt you have a blown fork seal. Check this post out, and see if it doesn't clear up your leaky seal.

Saw that already. What I am wondering is how to pull the dust seal off without tearing the fork leg apart. Is it possible?
In the link it is an upside down forlk and it seems simple enough to pry the dust seal down.
But in the KLR fork, you cannot get to it. I do not want to use a screw driver for sure...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Fork seals

It takes less time to do it right, and is less risky as far as damaging
Your fork tube.
I see knackered up chrome tubes where folks try to dig them
Out with picks and screwdrivers.
Seals are cheap.
It only takes about an hour or two to R&R the fork legs and
Properly rebuild the pair. No matter which gen.

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
Reviving an old thread having just done my fork seals.

Stew did you ever install the "All Balls" seals?

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
Ya I thought as much. I haven't had much luck with after market fork seals. But some people swear at them and others swear by them so ......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts