Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am a former Harley rider, new to KLR's. After battling cancer for a bit and 2 years free of it I decided to get another bike.
I could not decide if I wanted a thumper to play with or a Harley to travel.
I was talking to a group of KLR riders in my little tourist trap town and they were telling me how a KLR does it all, I was thinking "what kind of freaks go for THOUSANDS of miles on a dirt bike?"
After thinking about all the times I got a Harley stuck in mud or wishing I could go off on a trail I decided to see what all the fuss was about.
Picked-up a 2011, 1 owner, (doubt it was ever in the dirt). All the crash bars, hard tour pack with no saddle bags. 18k miles with not a scratch on it.
Owned it 3 days now, added 700 miles and LOVE IT!!!

Any advice on things to watch for? (I am a tech).

Any other duel sport riders in my area? Trinidad Co.

Thanks for allowing me to ramble on...

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Welcome and congrats on both wins!!!
Read about the DOO and the torsion spring, I don't know if you're a fat bastard like the rest of us fat bastards if so I do not know IF kawi strenthened the subframe bolts etc in the last year or so, been away myself, check your steering head bearings for correct torque change your oil regularly, and ride her......you will be amazed where this old pig will go!
:character00201:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did read about the "doohickey", from what I understand that a non-issue since 08 but I will keep my eye on it.
I am about 100 heavier than normal, part of my reason for getting a bike. I will check out the sub-frame problem...
Thank You!

Reactions: willys

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank 650stew!

·
Premium Member
8,044 Posts
I did read about the "doohickey", from what I understand that a non-issue since 08 but I will keep my eye on it.
I am about 100 heavier than normal, part of my reason for getting a bike. I will check out the sub-frame problem...
Thank You!
gruet782,
Welcome to the forum.

Sorry that someone miss-informed you about the OEM Doo-Hickey!
Please read here,
http://www.klrforum.com/2008-klr650...ed-gen2-bikes-right-ah-but-spring-spring.html

And the 2008 and UP models do have larger/stronger top sub-frame bolts! But one still needs to check the lower ones occasionally.

Reactions: gruet782

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pdwestman.. Thank you, great info!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts