Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have many questions for my superiors, I am going to buy a new dual sport bike on my next days off. Originally I was thinking BMW 1200 gs adventure and then the KTM 950R super enduro.Then I stumbled across this site.Well that threw another twist into things.The BMW is around 17000 canadian,the KTM is around 16500,and the Kawi 650 is 6000?!!! What gives? I want a bike thats gonna take me to my favorite fishing hole,do some trails,maybe take the old lady for an ice cream. Whats the big difference in bikes,the KLR seems like a bargain...from what I've read on this site 99% of people seem happy.I'm confused.:confused:

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
from what I've read on this site 99% of people seem happy.I'm confused.:confused:
They're just a great all around bike..
They're not perfect, but that's just another part of the bike that makes it appealing..
They've been around forever, have a great following, and there a ton of aftermarket stuff available (and they're cheap)

I'm a Lifetime Member of BMWMOA, and rode Beemers for 20 years.. I now own a KLR and have for 4 years..

Remember.. They're not perfect and don't claim to be, but they're great fun and will take you anywhere you wish to go.:22a:

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
+1 paper.

Also if you drop the Beemer, You better have two people to pick it up!

Good luck with your choice!

MB4

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Not poking at names or being mean, but the biggest difference between those bikes in my opinion is the $$$ for the name that is on each particular bike. The BMW's are awesome and I have come to love the look of the KTM, but my KLR fits my budget and will go the same places as the others if notmore so. The biggest thing is, get something and ride, explore, and start seeing that perpetual smile on your face from all the fun. Good luck with your choices.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Up until the 08's came out the KLR was a 20 year old bike with few changes or upgrades. I guess Kawasaki figured if it was still working why ghange it. But the 08's did change, I guess 20 years was enough and I think stricter epa laws might have played a part in the changes in the 08's. Just my thoughts on it.

·
Registered
815 Posts
It's simple, the KLR is not a $10,000 quality bike.

Lacks overall power.

Lacks smoothness.

Lacks comfort.

Lacks off road ability.

Lacks on road ability.

What it lacks in any one category is made up by the fact it can do so many styles of riding. Sure you can get a road bike, but then you can't go offroad. Sure you can get a offroad bike, but then you can't go on road. You can get a highway tourer, but then you can't fully enjoy the twisties. You can get a sport bike, but then you won't really enjoy the long hauls.

The KLR basically will do anything, it's all a matter of rider tolerance and rider choice as to what they want to do with the KLR.

I don't think the original intention meets 90% of what people do with the KLR. If other bikes were the same price, the KLR would gather dust on showroom floors. Other bikes can't match the price because they have superior engineering, more power, more comfort, etc...

However, you hear a lot of crap about all the manufacturers.

You simply cannot ignore the vast amount of people on these forums who do obscene miles on the KLR though. It takes some work getting the bike ready for those miles, but the fact it can be done is what draws all these people to the bike.

Unless you buy a full tour bike, you'll spend money on luggage for whatever you get, so that cost is a wash. The price factor you have to add to the KLR is the cost of all the farkles to match the bike to your tolerance level.

The beauty of the KLR though, is that so many pennytech mods have already been engineered and tested. You will find lowtech, hightech and everything in between that can help mediate the cost of farkling the crap out of the KLR.

I'm not a mod freak. I have the Wolfman Explorer, Highway Pegs, Windsheild for colder weather and the HT rad guard and dirt just about anywhere a hose won't reach. I don't plan to do 1,000 mile treks on a KLR. It will be a trailer queen from here to any riding zone over 4 hours away.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Exhondafan,The klr is not a high speed touring bike.What it is is an all around bike.It does not like freeways,but is great on secondary roads,dirt and gravel.I just did an 8 day,2400 mile ride on this one

The mods are
progressive front springs
corbin flat
ht guards
panniers
skidplate
1" handlebar risers
doo upgrade
uni air filter
I normally run Mefo tires,but on occasion run tkc 80's.The motor is stock and I use kawasaki oil and change it every 2500 miles.Currently have 25,000 miles on her with no engine,tranny trouble.The bottom line is it's a thumper with a 55mpg average.It will get you there and back.And if by chance something does go wrong,you may be able to fix it for a couple of bucks instead of hundreds or thousands.Just my.02 worth

Happy Trails

Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Buy the KLR for a LOT less money. Spend a little of that money fixing "known" issues (do the doo, etc), and spend the rest of what you saved on gas & tires. (that would be petrol & tyres since you're north of the border?).

IMHO, the best part about a KLR? The Community!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I own a BMW R1150RT and a KLR 650. If I am going on a highway trip, or 2 up with my wife, I take the beemer. If I am going to go down a dirt/gravel road, or I absolutely have to be there, I take the KLR. Like having 4 wheel drive truck and a Lexus......There is some overlap, but they do different things well. In my opinion, the GS and the big KTM are just too big and heavy for the rough stuff. YMMV.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had a v65 Magna very fast and very comfy on the paved road, had a yz 250 very fast very comfy on the dirt, now I have a 08 klr not so fast not so comfy but can and will be and she can go anywhere I point her within reason..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
done....

I brought home my "blue mule" today....but now it wont quit raining and I cant find my freakin rain suit! :mad0235:

·
Registered
603 Posts
congrats on the new ride,and you can send some of the rain our way,we're in a drought

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had my 07 KLR for 6 months and have loged 6500 miles so far. When my wife and I went to buy a bike I shopped them all and liked the KLR for the tank size and price. I have taken this bike trail blazing, on service roads, on extreme twisties, and on the I5. I am completely satisfied with my bike in every element.
I can also lift it when loaded up hill and I weigh in at 145 hight of 5'7"

·
Registered
41 Posts
Lighter, cheaper, insurance is less, handles decent, good gas mileage .... Kinda like my wife; nothing fancy, just reliable and always ready to go.

The Swiss Army Knife type bike. Not exactly the right tool for every purpose, but good enough to get you through.

Have fun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I own 2 BMWs and I detest them. Both engines are bullet proof. Both final drives suck. You could potentially have to replace final drives every 18k miles. Now, worst case that's $600 US and best case, doing the work yourself, it's about $200 US. Additionally, every part is expensive. Stock brake pads are close to $70. I just paid $38 for two bolts. An ABS rotor is $260. (You can pick up a pre 2008 Kawi rotor for the KLR off ebay for about $60 plus shipping. Brake shoes can be had for $15 off ebay.)

Furthermore, my BMWs have left me stranded far more times. At 45k miles, the KLR just left me stranded for the first time. I busted a clutch cable. Probably more my fault for not lubing.

The KLR is adequate on the road. I mounted my GPS over the speedo and was using the GPS for speed. I rode from Houston to Laredo before I realized the GPS was set for Knots and not MPH. I was doing over 80 mph most of the way without any problems.

Bottom line is.... BMW gets the nod when it comes to handling on the road. KLR smokes the GS off pavement. I've beat the living daylights out of the KLR crossing 600 miles of Mexican desert in the dirt on two different occasions and the KLR performed flawlessly. I've also ridden a few 1000 mile road days on the KLR without much problem.

The KLR isn't perfect by any means. It's simply perfect for my budget and riding style.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I own 2 BMWs and I detest them. Both final drives suck.

I'm guessing both were/are R1200GS's?

I'm a BMWMOA lifetime member (but, as you can see below, I don't currently own one). My last was my first oilhead, being a 2000 R1100R. At 40K, it was running great, but I was just bored with it. I bought it in 2002 with 2200 miles on it and the only issue I had with it was the surging.
As luck would have it, changing out the air filter to a K and N, and changing out the exhaust to a Two Bros did the trick. Better power, mileage, and no surge were the results.

After I bought the KLR, I found myself riding it all the time, with the BMW sitting in the garage. I even rode the KLR to the BMWMOA national rally in Ohio and left the BMW sit at home..

I had a co-worker from Finland who wanted the bike from the first day I rode it to work, and after it sitting in my garage all summer, I sold it to him. He totalled it a month later..:18:

It was a great bike, but as I mentioned, I got tired of it..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a2006 BMW K1200GT. I love that bike. It is big, comfortable, smooth and real fast. I just bought a 2008 KLR 650. 202 miles. I love this bike. It is light, agile, comfortable, plenty fast on twisty country roads, fire roads and fields, and I can understand it's mechanics. I will do all the maintenance and repair on the KLR for not much money. The BMW I change the oil, change the tires and that's all I know how to do. it requires a computer and quite a lot of money to maintain. so, they are very different. I am happy to have one of each.,

1 - 19 of 19 Posts