Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm having to trailer the bike to Arizona for a ride and had posted a picture of the bike loaded up with the standard tie down straps to the handle bars. A link was posted on a tie down plate for $28 plus shipping. I liked the idea, but as a normal KLR owner, I'm cheap. But I'm also a former mechanic with tools in the garage, and I like to build stuff myself so I have no one else to blame when things break......
Well, I liked the idea so much that I saved myself $34 and made some with some scrap I had around here. I had some aluminum 2" angle, (6063 I think, hard stuff) that was 1/4" thick. Should do the trick, so the Sawzall came out and I started in with my own design.

First I tried a cardboard template, and that didn't fair so well. So I grabbed some thin aluminum sheet and got the basic plan down. I took the left side cable bracket off and used it for a hole pattern.
I left the 1/4" aluminum on the side and started with some thin sheet (old sign stock) and started with the cable bracket for the hole pattern. Once the basics were done, I moved over to the .25 stock and just used the sheet template for the holes.

I put the two pieces together, traced out the shape, cleaned up the design, cut & drilled, and took them to the wire wheel.

I found two bolts with 12MM heads (my pet peave, stupid 13 heads) that were 1/4" longer for the left side, and the stock left bolts are longer than the right side. So I took the left ones, and moved them over to the right side. Only had to scrounge up two longer bolts that way. (confused on that one?)

Made sure the hole was big enough for the standard tie down hook, and hope that the load won't be too heavy to break 1/4" thick plate.

So looking at it straight on, they stick out a bit, but do not even come close to hitting or rubbing anything when turning.

I'll be loading the bike later today and shoould have some pictures of how it sits and where the tie down straps actually line up.

Thanks to Terry_1956 for the heads up on this option.

·
Administrator
3,641 Posts
That's a great idea. I usually use soft ties to bring the hooks away from the bike but that looks like it would save a step.

·
Premium Member
5,581 Posts
Good deal, campfire. I've hauled my KLR in the back of my Tacoma a couple of times and encountered difficulty securing the front straps with all that plastic in the way. I really don't like using the handlebars as tiedowns so this is a great solution.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hats Off

That is true KLR stuff right their....A guy might have to make a set of those just to add to the Farkle list. Much thanks for the share and hats off to ya.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Nice job! I might have to make me a couple of those, too.

Or I can order them on-line ...for only $28 (plus shipping)!

Way to be a true (frugal) KLRista.

See you in AZ.

·
Administrator
3,641 Posts
I've got some 1/4" aluminum plate and nothing to do right now but stare at my parked bike. Can you give some approximate dimensions of the side lengths.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Nice job! If you painted them black no one would ever notice them.
Regards....justjeff

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I loaded the bike in the trailer today and tested things out. All the straps are not in contact with any of the cowling, and it sits very firmly in there. :bike:

Should be good to go, but I am going to go to a bigger strap. I have some motorcycle specific tie downs that are designed to wrap around the bars, so I might add a carabiner into the mix to double up the strap.
And I want locking ends all the way around so any bounce won't throw a strap off.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also in this mix of being prepared to haul the bike, I am using a mini fork brace.
I hauled it once in an enclosed trailer without one, and opened the door to find the bike on its side with a set of bent bars.
That's the real reason all of this started. Those stock bars are weak!

http://www.amazon.com/Rider-Cargo-Motorcycle-Fork-Brace/dp/B0039LF2TQ

just a friendly reminder---- Take care of the bike, it takes care of you.

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
Nice work.

Are you planning on making more?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Very nice mate, good one.

You should also consider a fork support / spring saver if are going to do any long transport, saves having to compress the fork springs to get a good tie down tension and eliminates any bounce.

Edit: Sorry I see this has already been suggested, I should pay more attention.

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,641 Posts
Very nice mate, good one.

You should also consider a fork support / spring saver if are going to do any long transport, saves having to compress the fork springs to get a good tie down tension and eliminates any bounce.

Edit: Sorry I see this has already been suggested, I should pay more attention.
those are very easy to build too>

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Tiedown brackets.

Many thanks, for the Great idea.

I made a set for my KLR. Have to wait to give them a try.
(6" - 10" more snow predicted for this week... @&%#*&!$^ )

Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts