Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a lot of trouble loading pictures into my posts.
I haven't done it for a while, probably a couple of years back since I put any images on the site. That was back when I was first uploading them to 'photobucket' and then highlighting the url thing and chosing them that way.
Now I see the 'VB Image Host' that seems to do the same thing. But even that is a PITA to use.
Here's what I've done to try and get pictures fron my Iphone to a post.

1. Take photo.
2. Email photo to myself and chose 'low res' to keep the kb below 1024.
3. Go to computer.Copy photo from email and paste to desktop.
4. Open KLR forum.
5. Open 'VB Image Host'.
6. Select 'upload image'
7. Go to 'choose file'
8. Go to desktop on the dropdown menu and choose the picture.
9. Select 'open'.
10. Select 'host it'.
11. Check 'my images' to see if it was successfully uploaded.

Process seems to work but sometimes even 500kb files are rejected as being too big and half my images somehow get rotated through 90 degrees in the selection process and there is no way of editing them once they're in the My Images file.

All very frustrating!

I post stuff on the ADV forum (checkmate3) and it's so much easier to post pictures and even Youtube video there that I hardly think about it. Just drag pictures straight from the desktop into the text, none of this hosting rubbish. Right click on video in Youtube, select copy address and paste into a post and 'bingo' the video is embedded.

Am I doing something wrong or is this forum just using different/older technology?

iddy

·
Administrator
8,292 Posts
I have sent a not along to the admin team.

I've only used the feature twice, and both times it worked OK, but the files were less than 200kb.

·
Administrator
8,292 Posts
Hmm. Here's a picture I took on Tuesday. It was originally 4032 X 3024 and 3.3MB. I loaded it into paint.net and resized it to 1024 X 768; its file size went to 656KB. I saved it, then uploaded it into the VB image host thing, then selected the BB code and pasted it here:

It shows up as a sort of super-sized thumbnail, but if you click on the image it goes to the full 1024 size.

Is that much different from what you are doing?

·
Administrator
8,292 Posts
I can see your pictures on the bolt thread, but I think you may have them set to "Private" so that we can't see the full sized image.

Click on this image; it should expand to 1024 X 768. It, in my VB Hosting thingy, is set to "Public".

Do the same with this one; it is set to "Private".

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I'm doing pretty much the same. It's just a bit 'clunky' compared to say the way ADV works. I just tried their forum by comparison, clicked on a thread, clicked 'reply', when the box opened up I went to another site, right clicked an image , selected 'copy', went back to ADV and clicked 'paste'. Job done. Easy.

Anyhow,,

have you got to my 'Oh Shit!' moment yet?

iddy

·
Administrator
8,292 Posts
I don't know what software ADV is running. It isn't VB, though. I haven't posted pictures over there so can't comment on their process.

I don't understand why your pictures are rotated. I've run into that a time or two with pictures I've hosted for other people, though. Sometimes there is nothing I can do to get the picture to come out right. I try rotating it on the image host but it hard to get it to come out right. Usually happens by accident and I can't repeat it.

I never could get this one right:

The common denominator with rotated pictures seems to be that they were taken with a phone. The above was taken with a Samsung Galaxy S5.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Photoshop or a similar application (MS Paint, etc.) can be used to solve most of this issues. Well . . . other than the means of uploading non-thumbnail images.

·
Administrator
396 Posts
Hey @iddy. I think that the process that you're going through is definitely more complicated than it needs to be. It's actually not really necessary to use the VB image host since you're allowed unlimited attachments on the site, so you can probably skip that step altogether (unless you want to keep all of your images saved in that section for yourself or other members to look at).

If you're just looking to add photos/videos to your posts, you should be able to do it just like on the other site you mentioned. You just need the URL link and it can be added that way. You can add photos by using the Insert Image button or the Attachments button (paperclip). Either way, you don't really need the VB image host unless you want all of your photos to be available in that section.

Cheers,

Erik

·
Administrator
8,292 Posts
Just as a thumbnail, but did this on my ipad. Not sure if this helps any . . .
Yeah, I flipped it around on my laptop and re-uploaded it to flickr, no joy. I rotated the image on flickr, no joy. I down loaded the rotated image on flicker and rotated it again on the laptop and uploaded to flickr again, no joy. I repeated this for just about every combination I could think of but never did get it to come out right side up.

Next time I'm just going to send it to you ;^).

·
Registered
623 Posts
Most of the forums I visit aren’t very easy to add images to a post, if they don’t already exist somewhere on the internet with a link. Pasting a link into a post is pretty simple.
Most forums allow your own images to be uploaded as an attachment, though that can be limited as for number of attachments and size because it takes server space to host your image.
On my own forum I have server software that resizes and compresses them for that reason. It still adds up to quite a bit. I often put my images on my server then link to them on this forum and others. That’s an uncommon luxury I have given my forum members, who can upload there and link them at other places on the net. We do have to monitor this so it doesn’t get stupid, which is likely why many don’t allow it.
I’ll have to try out more uploading images to this forum.

·
Administrator
396 Posts
That's the EXIF if you upload an image via your phone, or move the image from phone to computer then to the forum, you need to make sure that the image orientation is upright. this is some weird format that looks right when you look at your phone because the phone is able to read that data but the forum doesn't translate it so it uploads the phone at whatever side you took the photo in.

so you need to re-orient the photo prior to upload.

I'm going to move this thread site it's more of a site help thread to the helpdesk section. I'll be able to get notifications there.

Lee

1 - 13 of 13 Posts