Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Boys and Girls,

I have finally found two very nice sealable, water proof 20mm ammo cans. I have ordered the SW Motec Side racks. I am now in the proccess of searching for the right hardware that I can use to attach the cans to the racks, but somewhat easily remove them as well. I will attach pictures.

Do any of you have a good suggestion for paint (Silver) for the cans? The general though is to go for the leastmcost due to the eventuality of scraping, scratching and denting the cans as I travel. I have been think of that truck bed liner rattle can stuff. I have heard great things about rustoleum spray paint.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I wouldn't use paint, I'd use pickup truck bed coating. It comes in silver and it's quasi-bombproof.
Regards
Mark

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Hell yes. Rustoleum rattle can bedliner. Shit is awesome. And touch ups are a breeze. I have it on the cowl on my bike.

·
Administrator
8,491 Posts
"Wow, that was really cracked up", Tom said laughingly...

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow! That looks fantastic! I think I will take your advice. Much appreciated.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
"Wow, that was really cracked up", Tom said laughingly...
"If you're gonna do something you should do it well" Tom said rightly. ;)

TS variation...count it. :35a:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts

·
Lifetime Member
2,486 Posts
(Totally off topic)

You have a fork brace on your bike Lockjaw? Do you notice any difference in the handling? I think yours is the first 08 I've ever noticed with the brace. BTW, the bedliner looks great!

Cheers,
Stew :)

·
Administrator
8,491 Posts
"If you're gonna do something you should do it well" Tom said rightly. ;)

TS variation...count it. :35a:
"TS variation? Thomas Stearns? 'Ell, 'e ought to," Tom said poetically

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
(Totally off topic)

You have a fork brace on your bike Lockjaw? Do you notice any difference in the handling? I think yours is the first 08 I've ever noticed with the brace. BTW, the bedliner looks great!

Cheers,
Stew :)
Yeah, I won it in on contest on here. It makes a difference, but not as much as the smaller fender did. And thanks!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
"TS variation? Thomas Stearns? 'Ell, 'e ought to," Tom said poetically
"Dam, you're good" Tom said fluidly. ;)

That was one is weak, but Karen wants to watch Breaking Bad.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alrighty then...I have finished installing the SW Motech Pannier Racks. What beautiful german engineering. The racks came with everything you would need to install and move the tail lights to the rear of the luggage rack. It went on smothly and look great. I especially like the quick remove system.
I noticed that after I installed them there is a little greay sticker that states the maximun weight limit for the racks. 27.5 lbs per side. This has me worried as the ammo cans are at least 10-12lbs each. This will seriously bite into my carrying capacity.
Should I go ahead with the ammo cans or buck up and buy pelican. Which would be lighter?

Seasoned opinions sought......... P.S. Lockjaw, where o where did you get the fork brace and smaller fender? Nice touch..

Snakeboy66

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good Evening All,
Seeing as this post has gone off on a tangent I will start a new one.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Sorry I missed your Q, dude. The fender is a Acerbis Supermoto. The fork brace is a superbrace I won in a contest on here. Both have worked out well for me. Getting rid of the sail of a fender made the most notable difference. Well worth $20.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts