Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just picked up my '08 KLR from a buddy who's had it a few years. It has almost 35000 miles on it. About six months ago he went from using Rotella T oil to Amsoil, and since then there's been an issue with it not wanting to go from 1st to second...it goes into neutral and doesn't seem to want to go up out of it. Back down into 1st, ok. I rode it around a bit today and although I know it's not unusual for bikes to go into neutral instead of 2nd if you don't "kick" them up right (both of my Hondas did this), this one doesn't want to go even if you kick it up sometimes. I hear a "click" but still in neutral. Could Amsoil do that? Or any other ideas? I guess it was fine before. Also, it hasn't been ridden much in the last six months, after the oil change and tuneup, if that makes any difference. I know a bit of mechanics but not much.

Tx,
Cat

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
I don't think the brand of oil affects shifting between gears (within Kawasaki API Service Code and viscosity recommendations). Different lubricities may result in different clutch engagement characteristics, but . . . missing shifts? I doubt it.

My suggestion: Check your clutch adjustment; see how that works out for you. (Assume you're NOT wearing new boots! :) )

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think the brand of oil affects shifting between gears (within Kawasaki API Service Code and viscosity recommendations). Different lubricities may result in different clutch engagement characteristics, but . . . missing shifts? I doubt it.

My suggestion: Check your clutch adjustment; see how that works out for you. (Assume you're NOT wearing new boots! :) )
I am wearing new BMW Allroads, with the extra shifter padding. From standard HD boots. I could try it with the HD boots on, that's what I used to test ride the bike....but the last owner said he was noticing some issues just after changing oil.

Cat

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
About six months ago he went from using Rotella T oil to Amsoil, and since then there's been an issue with it not wanting to go from 1st to second...it goes into neutral and doesn't seem to want to go up out of it.
I think you may have just solved your problem. Go back to the Rotella and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
5,482 Posts
The first thing I would rule out is the boots. Go ride it wearing some tennis shoes to give you better foot/shifter interaction feedback, also known as "FSIF" among those select few of us in the know......

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
What about going back to his old boots? :)
Yes I realize boots make a difference. However he did say that the problem started when the PREVIOUS owner switched to Amsoil. Seems to me that would be the root of the problem but by all means rule out the boots. It's obviously the easiest place to start.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Yes I realize boots make a difference. However he did say that the problem started when the PREVIOUS owner switched to Amsoil. Seems to me that would be the root of the problem but by all means rule out the boots. It's obviously the easiest place to start.
Maybe so, klr4evr! Yet, I wonder: HOW does a change in lubricants, of otherwise the same API Service Code and viscosity, cause a transmission to miss shifts?

The mechanism of the malfunction interests me. Given a constant-mesh transmission, like the KLR650's, I wonder how a change in oil causes missed shifts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I will think about going back to Rotella, but I can say that if I don't use the clutch and just pop the shifter up it goes into 2nd fine. I don't like doing this, as it adds wear on the gears, but it seems to work (rode it to work today, about 1/2 hour both ways with mixed city and highway). Makes me wonder about the clutch?

Cat

BTW....I LOVE these BMW boots. I can try the HDs again but Goretex and armor makes me feel like I have something actually supporting my ankles, and my feet stayed bone dry on the way home in pouring rain. =)

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
As mentioned, have you checked your clutch adjustment? It doesn't have to be out much to affect shifting. Besides everything else mentioned already, if your idle is set too high it can make it difficult to shift. Though on rereading your original post I see that it's easy to get neutral, but hard to shift up from it. Usually too high of an idle makes it tricky to get neutral.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I will think about going back to Rotella, but I can say that if I don't use the clutch and just pop the shifter up it goes into 2nd fine. I don't like doing this, as it adds wear on the gears, but it seems to work (rode it to work today, about 1/2 hour both ways with mixed city and highway). Makes me wonder about the clutch?

Cat

BTW....I LOVE these BMW boots. I can try the HDs again but Goretex and armor makes me feel like I have something actually supporting my ankles, and my feet stayed bone dry on the way home in pouring rain. =)

Pre load the shift lever a bit and blip the throttle the gear will pop right in. Doesn't hurt the tranny at all. Up shifting is easy and faster than using the clutch. Down shifts (without the clutch) require matching the engine speed and is harder to be smooth at.

You're right about the clutch. Does the engagement feel normal for a KLR, like way out at the end of the lever? If so dump the Amzoil and put a dino oil in there (Rotella T 15-40 is popular).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts