Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for this question but, I am new to KLR's and wasn't able to find answers via search. I purchased a 2011 KLR 650 with 10K on the clock. The previous owner installed a DG pipe. Other than that, I believe the engine is stock. The bike easily starts up and runs great. However, I notice a very small flat spot just under 4K rpm's. It is pretty minor but I feel it. Additionally, I pulled the tank to fix a broken petcock. While I had the tank off, I pulled the plug. Plug itself, is in great shape however, Electrode is on the white side. Definitely running lean. I do get some popping on deceleration as well. air cleaner is foam. My guess is the previous owner did not rejet the carb after installing the pipe. As a result, I am thinking I have stock needle and jets in the carb. Hence, my question. Is the stock needle adjustable? I understand, here are no clips on the needle but wasn't sure if it could be shimmed. Not sure if I should just raise the needle (hypothetically, one position) or add next size larger main jet. Then again, I guess another (and maybe better) option is to install the KLX kit? Any and all thoughts are appreciated!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Best option is to get a KLX kit from EM due to the taper of the needle being more favorable.

If that's not an option or just for a quick/temporary fix look up the 22cent mod.

For what it's worth, the taper of the stock needle is 'all wrong' IMO. Not to mention it's not adjustable.

Best wishes

Reactions: CaptainBob

·
Premium Member
KLRs: 2013, 2005, 1998; 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
2,731 Posts
Most folks here think the KLX kit provides the best throttle response and power, without losing a lot of gas mileage. There's also something quick easy and cheap called the 22 cent mod, because that's about what it costs. You can try that first, see if you like it, then order the KLX Kit from EM. See this thread:

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
1,201 Posts
I had the same flat spot on my 2018 klr.
The stock air screw was set @ 1.25 turns (for emissions standards).
Adjusting it to 1.75 turns out solved the issue in my case.

·
Premium Member
2002 gen 1 street-ized commuter special--Flatland Flyer--
133 Posts
in the process be sure the foam filter is judiciously oiled too...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your responses. Now I know what the .22 cent fix is. After looking at how the carb/needle go together, I was thinking there may be a potential solution of raising the needle using shims. While I have the tank off, I think I will try it. I will install two #4 washers under the needle. I am not going to enlarge the hole in the slide. Additionally, I do not think the snorkels have been removed or the airbox has been drilled on my bike. Whereas, I am a bit lean now, I will leave them alone and just see what the two washers bring. I have been thinking about potentially installing Eagle Mike's 685cc kit. If I do that, I will get the KLX needle kit. Again, thanks for the info!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't you just love working on used bikes? As I was looking at the carb to check for the .22 cent fix, I noticed the carb was seriously canted to the right. I checked the boots only to find them tight. I then loosened the boots and looked around the carb before twisting further to remove the top. It was then I noticed the enrichener cable had partially pulled out of the carb. Not broken, just pulled out. Threads on the fitting look like they have been mildly stripped. In any case, I pulled the top off the carb and was not surprised to find no washers under the stock needle. I installed the washers then readjusted the pilot screw to 1.75 turns (no plug over the pilot screw). When checking the pilot screw, it was sitting at 1.5 to 1.75 turns. So, I just needed to screw it out a bit. Put everything back together and reset the enrichener into the carb and zip tied it in place. It operates OK and I do not believe it will fall out unless you yank on it. In the meantime, I will source a replacement fitting or the cable if not fitting is available. Now just waiting for the new petcock to come in so I can put it back together and see how it runs. Hopefully, I can get it back together before the snow flies.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone know if the earlier Gen 1 carb choke eliminator kits fit the Gen 2. The plastic threaded housing that screws into the carb cannot be purchased separately, but only with the plunger and spring. The Kawasaki part is anywhere between $77 and $83! That is a bit pricey for a piece of plastic and the spring and plunger. I notice plastic housings from other Kawasaki machines (ex, 4 wheelers) are sold separately and are around $10 to $12. Does anyone know if any of those pieces could be used on a Gen 2 KLR? Someone, please tell me there is a less expensive way of replacing that plastic threaded housing.

·
Premium Member
2009 KLR 650, 1978 Shovelhead
101 Posts
Does anyone know if the earlier Gen 1 carb choke eliminator kits fit the Gen 2. The plastic threaded housing that screws into the carb cannot be purchased separately, but only with the plunger and spring. The Kawasaki part is anywhere between $77 and $83! That is a bit pricey for a piece of plastic and the spring and plunger. I notice plastic housings from other Kawasaki machines (ex, 4 wheelers) are sold separately and are around $10 to $12. Does anyone know if any of those pieces could be used on a Gen 2 KLR? Someone, please tell me there is a less expensive way of replacing that plastic threaded housing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yikes! Eagle Mike comes through again! I need to spend some time on his site and become familiar with his products. I just ordered the metal threaded housing. Thank you so much for letting me know about this.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is another excellent solution. Thank you for letting me know. I did end up ordering a eagle muke threaded housing replacement. but...., I may consider just eliminating the cable entirely and installing a pull choke instead. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
2022 KLR650
1,201 Posts
That is another excellent solution. Thank you for letting me know. I did end up ordering a eagle muke threaded housing replacement. but...., I may consider just eliminating the cable entirely and installing a pull choke instead. Thanks for the tip!
I installed a pull choke on my previous gen 1, & eliminated the cable all-together.
Worked awesome 👍

·
Registered
2016 KLR650 Camo, Dirtracks, EM Doo,T-Bob, Giant Loop bags, rally dash, Cyclops LED, Madd Risers
220 Posts
I had the same flat spot on my 2018 klr.
The stock air screw was set @ 1.25 turns (for emissions standards).
Adjusting it to 1.75 turns out solved the issue in my case.
@KLR-Mule do you have an aftermarket pipe? I have that flat spot around 4k. PO put a Yoshi RS2 on but never touched the air screw, was still plugged, so I’ll bet my carb is all stock. I’ll eventually get the Klx kit but I’m enjoying riding it for now. The flat spot doesn’t bother me, but I do notice it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
@KLR-Mule do you have an aftermarket pipe? I have that flat spot around 4k. PO put a Yoshi RS2 on but never touched the air screw, was still plugged, so I’ll bet my carb is all stock. I’ll eventually get the Klx kit but I’m enjoying riding it for now. The flat spot doesn’t bother me, but I do notice it.
Have you done the .22 mod? That may remove the flat spot. I just did it to mine but haven’t had a chance to take the bike out yet. I’m waiting for another part to install before I can ride it. Hope the part comes in before the snow flies out here in the northeast. Lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I just took a test ride today after installing the .22 cent mod. Did not work out as I hoped. Bike is running way too rich on the low end. I installed 2 washers. I will remove one of the washers tomorrow and try again. Worse case is, I go back to no washers and run it. It had great throttle response and pull aside from a very minor, almost unnoticeable, flat spot just under 4K.

·
Premium Member
2009 KLR 650, 1978 Shovelhead
101 Posts
I just took a test ride today after installing the .22 cent mod. Did not work out as I hoped. Bike is running way too rich on the low end. I installed 2 washers. I will remove one of the washers tomorrow and try again. Worse case is, I go back to no washers and run it. It had great throttle response and pull aside from a very minor, almost unnoticeable, flat spot just under 4K.
The 22 cent mod is a bandaid for the not well made needle. The KLX needle is the way to go if you want to fix the problem rather than bandaid it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts