Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Community Members,

Over the past year or two, there have been updates to the environment that have introduced challenges in usability and performance. Efforts to improve the technology, user interface, and site performance has revealed weaknesses in the platform and outdated software this site uses. This has made it increasingly difficult and frustrating to support and upgrade to more modern reliable standards that users deserve. Our advertising experience and certain ad partners have further degraded the functionality of the site. This is not the experience we want for the members of this community.

Members want a fast site that performs well across all devices, to be able to find relevant and interesting content, and easily share through text, images, video and messaging on a secure platform. Our goal is to provide this ultimate user experience to all members.

We will be implementing a new platform to better meet the needs of this community and allow us to provide support more efficiently. Our focus is to create a sustainable platform that performs well, and loads faster on all devices, while offering seamless ways to search and connect. Technology is constantly innovating - by creating an environment that we control we can maintain the site with more frequent improvements and maintenance updates.

Although change can be difficult, we are here to support you through the process. We make every effort to review existing settings and make the changes needed so the migration goes smoothly. If you notice something doesn’t seem correct once the site goes live, don’t panic! We’ll have a dedicated person monitoring as the site goes live to answer any questions and provide support through this change.

What’s next?

I bet you’re thinking, “What does this mean for me and the community?” It does mean change, but it will help solve a large majority of the issues that this site may have been experiencing. We have reviewed reported issues, site statistics, traffic data, and user feedback to help us prioritize the changes and improvements. Uploading an image or video will be easier and streamlined. Ad formatting will change with a new site layout. The site will be more responsive - there is no need to use a mobile skin or special app! Security and user privacy will continue to be a top priority.

When will this be happening? Soon! We recognize the user experience is slow and there are bugs from the outdated software. The sooner we can change that the better we can make the experience for you. You’ll start to see activity related to cleanup in preparation for migration very shortly. We will post an announcement to the community prior to starting the actual data migration. Once the migration begins, the site will go into maintenance mode and will be read-only while data is being migrated.

We appreciate each member’s contribution to this community and look forward to an improved experience for you all.

- Community Support

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
Is it that same XenForo platform that other VerticalScope sites are on?
Don’t see why it would be different.

Personally I don’t like change. At my age and as a Moderator I’m really not looking forward to learning a new system. We’ll see how that goes once the change is made, but we are open to others volunteering for Moderator duties.

Having said that I kinda like the Xenforo based forums that I use. ADV Rider is one. Our Alberta Dual Sport group is another.

Reactions: DPelletier

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
I saw in the other thread that someone mentioned a desire to keep the 'dark text on light background' look for this forum, and on points like this I agree. I'm curious what sorts of changes we can anticipate. The announcement above mentions performance topics but undoubtedly the main questions people will have are more like:
  • What specific changes will we see in the visual presentation?
  • What items in the interface will change?
  • Will I be able to use it in the same way I do now?
  • Will all existing content be carried forward?
  • Will existing links (bookmarks) continue to bring up their threads/posts?
It's good to hear that the performance will increase, that bugs will be solved, that the forum will work on phones, and that ads will change (improve?), but I think people will mainly want to know what sort of disruptions to anticipate, since undoubtedly most consistent users have made their peace with the site's quirks at this point —*content and discussion is the main thing, not the interface. This points up the fact that new users are more likely to appreciate the upgrades you mentioned, even if their appreciation is mainly evident by a sort of transparent lack of frustration. Established members, whose presence is the basis for new members' traffic, are going to be mainly interested in continuity. Something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
68 Posts
What specific changes will we see in the visual presentation?
Here's a list of VerticalScope forums, but not all have been migrated to the XenForo platform. I highly suspect the look and feel will mirror Diesel Place, ramforumz, gmtruckclub, crvownersclub, benzworld, etc. all have links from the above list.

I will have to say a *kudos* where it is due...

I stopped visiting a particular verticalscope automotive forum after the new interface; But, I did just check back in. To my surprise, gone is one of things that really irked me - ads that looked like posts in location, shape, and size. It doesn't sound like much, but in the new layout it seemed extra intrusive (to me, at least). I mean, I know ads are ads and the overlord needs to pay the bills... but these ads seemed to grate on me. And now this stye of ad appears to be gone. Hurray!

I am somewhat less grumpy about the upcoming change.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
I noticed yesterday evening that my 'Signature Line' is missing from my postings. Is anyone else have ANY Odd issues?

Is this part of the new 'Up-Grades' that we should expect? Or did someone hack my account?

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
@pdwestman, I looked at your profile and your sig line is still there. I saved your profile, hoping it would restore the sig line to your posts, but it didn't seem to work.

@klr4evr, any ideas?

·
Registered
6,645 Posts

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
Well, I thought I would come out fo the woodwork and add a sig line to see if it would show up.

I don't even have a place to edit a sig line, so I can't add one. I'm going to wash the Cheetos off my fingers and go upstairs and kick Schmitz in the jewels and see if I can get him to do something productive.

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
OK, I got the big lug to add a sig line to my profile, but it doesn't show up and I still don't have a place to edit a sig line. I'll go back upstairs and tell the big lug something is broken and he needs to call the mother ship. Then I'm coming back down here and catch up on winning arguments on the internet and eat some Cheetos.

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
You're useless, Dumbass. Stay in the cellar.

The issues have been reported.

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
I noticed some other things, so I suspect the Mother Ship is twisting the knobs.

For example, the spot that I go to in order to report issues had moved. It was now in a place called "Area 51".

Far out, man.

·
Registered
68 Posts

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
The knobs were being twisted and buttons were being pushed.

Everything should be pretty much back to normal.

There will probably be more knob twisting in the near future. If things go a bit wonky, that is the likely cause.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.