Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Met up with SanDiegoWheels for a ride up into the mountains. We followed a dirt road up to an old fire lookout (elevation approx. 6500-ft). There were some real oh Sh!t moments for me, but I managed to get through it. The road was a little more challenging than I'm used to so I slowed it down and made it up the mountain. Did I mention how much I love riding this bike?

Thanks again Kevin, this one was awesome.

Pics below. Video later.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And a few more,...

Just to give you an idea of where we rode, this is part of our route ploted in Google Earth.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
That's awesome, you suck. lol
Where's the tag on the bike?
Do you guys ever run into people living up in the mountains?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's awesome, you suck. lol
Where's the tag on the bike?
Do you guys ever run into people living up in the mountains?
Tag? If you mean my plate, I think CA DMV only has about 5 people working there now so it takes about three months to get your plate.

This was on an Indian reservation, but after we got past the few houses at the beginning of the road, it was our road. Not many tracks either. But no, no mountain men.

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
Awesome ride report. Great pictures. Fire lookout is cool.

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
5,506 Posts
Excellent scenery and some great pictures: top-notch photo quality. Thanks for sharing them. Always thought manning a fire lookout station would be a great job. The Google Earth route trace was cool: good idea. Obviously a great ride!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Chuck, its not often pics do the scenery justice, but in this case I think they are accurate! Nice job behind the shutter. SD_Charlie was considerate enough to leave out my results from the gravity test I performed. You all can be assured, the gravity pull is in full force, I got through my first fall with I assume the common bent shifter lever, tweeked mirrors, and a few scratches on the plastic of the Gen 1. This was a great ride. A KLR ride with no dirt just would'nt be a ride!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Great pics. I have had some VERY interesting experiences on indian reservations around San Diego.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Short video

This is a short video of the ride. It's the first time I've used the camera on an MC. The mounting wasn't the best position but I'm going to remedy that with a ram mount.

Not very exciting so I kept it short.
At about 0:55 I had to pick up the pace a little as a large dog started chasing me.
At about 3:00 I lost momentum going up hill and had to stop. I threw down my left leg for balance so I could only use my front brake, resulting in me sliding back down the hill about 3 feet. I managed to keep the bike up but it was a little unnerving.
Any time you see SanDiegoWheels in front of me, it's because he was being a good riding partner and stopped to wait for my slow butt.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Now I understand what you were telling me about with the stall and back sliding on the rock section. That was actually a good save in not going further back. Pretty good video, not to bad of vibration.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts