Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 6 foot and 280+, you could say I'm big guy (Most people think I'm taller). The best thing about my klr, it fits me and handles my size well. I did add a Top Gun gray spring. There is also the fact that with a few simple tools you can can fix anything on it. And lets not forget, it's fun to ride.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Welcome, big guy (I'm similar dimensions) and the KLR does fit those of us who are larger, very well..

My only suggestion is that you're probably noticing front end dive under braking, and if so, go with a set of Larry Roesler Progressive fork springs, and go with ATF type F for fork oil.. I've found 5w oil too light (that's factory weight) and I found 10w too stiff.. ATF type F is 7.5w, and works well for guys our size..

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I'm currently on the "I'm not buying new riding gear because I don't fit in my current stuff" diet..

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suspension suggestion. As far as the diet is concerned, I know it well.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
It was mutually agreed upon at a recent gathering at Elkton, Va., that riders would no longer be referred to as "fat". We are simply fortunate enough to have wintered well.

·
Registered
59 Posts
ATF type F in forks

" go with ATF type F for fork oil.. I've found 5w oil too light (that's factory weight) and I found 10w too stiff.. ATF type F is 7.5w, and works well for guys our size..[/QUOTE]

Good suggestion. I'm 6'2.5"- the KLR suits me well. My only complaint it 1st gear should be lower.
Al

·
Registered
194 Posts
Don't forget for the big guys (count me in too. 6'3" 270) to cut down on fork sag and brake dive I put a 1" longer spacer in the forks. Use PVC and cut it longer than the factory spacer. It preloads the spring a little to cut down on sagging.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts