Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been meaning to do the doo for ages because of all the warnings, but just never got around to making it happen even though I have the parts already, just not the tools. Took the KLR out last weekend and it started sounding like a metal popcorn popper, I new what that meant.. time to hear all the "Told ya so's". Stuck the bike in the garage then started calling around to get the tools and ended up getting an offer from my good friend Mike (dragoon) to bring it down to Clarksville TN and he'll help me out. I'm not the mechanically gifted and Mike has practically reconfigured his KLR in to a frankenstein wonder and already knew his way around the doo and valves. Thanks to him my busted up doo (3 pieces) and broken spring (2 pieces) have been replaced along with the valves adusted and fuel/air screw corrected and the bike is running better then ever. He even solved a cam issue since it was off by a tooth. We had to take off the clutch side cover to retrieve the broken doo pieces and all of them were there and, of course, that gasket had a messed up area on it and I only had the gaskets for the left side. Amazingly enough the local Kawi dealer told us about a motorcycle shop that had a machine to cut any gasket. That old shop just happened to have a darn gasket in stock for the KLR650.. amazing! He had a 1982 cbx sport tourer sitting out front that only had 13,300 miles on it, that was an interesting bike. Anyway, thanks to Mike (dragoon) for all his help... very much appreciated. For anyone else who hasn't done the doo... save yourself the trouble of hearing the "Told ya so's" and also having to open up the clutch side....do the doo immediately. I was always a believer that the doo breaks, now I'm a believer that it should be done as soon as you buy the bike or at least make it part of the first valve adjustment.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
You're right HB. The doo is better, not great, but better. The spring is too long. I changed out the whole shooting match and am glad I did.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have no idea about the 08+, but like Lockjaw says, if you have to be in there for the spring anyway, screw it, replace the doo also. The doo from eagle mike has been well proven so replace it and forget it. Pretty inexpensive insurance.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Very well said glade you got her fixed wanderer ill spare you the words LOL.:character00271:

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
I have no idea about the 08+, but like Lockjaw says, if you have to be in there for the spring anyway, screw it, replace the doo also. The doo from eagle mike has been well proven so replace it and forget it. Pretty inexpensive insurance.
The '08+ does have a better design "doo" however it still has a sloppy fit to the shaft and the adjustment range on mine was about in the middle with only 5,000 miles on the odo. The EM replacement fits much better to the shaft and is "clocked" a few more degrees to allow a longer range of adjustment, about two thirds left.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
flash,

I just noticed your in north Texas were abouts i grew up around Witchita Falls?

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
flash,

I just noticed your in north Texas were abouts i grew up around Witchita Falls?
OT

'Bout 13 miles south of Spoonbooty..........No, really, Sherman area. Just finished a job over at Lapan in the oil patch near your old stompin' grounds.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Know the country well

1 - 12 of 12 Posts