Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my 14NE on 12/24 (merry xmas to me!) - 53 miles so far.
As the other Coloradoans have identified - it's been a bit chill here for too much riding. Which (unfortunately) leaves much time for farkle shopping.
So far, I've added GIVI crash bars, IMS Pro Series footpegs and an extended IMS shift lever. In the garage and waiting are the supplies for a first oil change, new Pro Taper bars, Acerbis hand-guards, Oxford heated grips, and a harness for my Gerbings jacket liner. On order are a set of Rox bar risers.
Will be doing the oil this weekend - but planning to wait another week to do all the bar work (I have also purchased the Clymer manual) after the risers arrive since I'll be pulling the tank to ensure cable slack.
Looking forward to getting reacquainted with off-road riding styles - it's been over 30 years since I've played in the dirt!
- Bill

·
Registered
61 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! Tons of great info on here

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I know its hard to not add a bunch of stuff to your new ride, but I would recommend you hold off. If you haven't ridden dirt for awhile, the KLR might be a handful until you get use to it. Adding a bunch of junk will only add more weight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know its hard to not add a bunch of stuff to your new ride, but I would recommend you hold off. If you haven't ridden dirt for awhile, the KLR might be a handful until you get use to it. Adding a bunch of junk will only add more weight.
Roger that, Savage - but most of the additions I've made (and plan to make) I know wil protect the bike better when the eventual drop occurs - or allow me to better handle it until that moment comes.
I've been riding for 40+ years - but have been street focused since about 1980.
I'm not planning to go out and rip single-track anytime soon. I'll begin with some gentle dirt roads and progress from there.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Welcome
The CMA chapter in Longmont has off road classes as well as rides all summer. They are a knowledgeable group that has helped me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts