Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i hate traffic. Alot! when im riding around and come to a stoplight with some cars waiting i usually just creep around them on the passengers side if there is room so i can be first at the light. I swear this has saved me hours of my life sitting and sucking on smog.

so first off is this illegal? second am i innovative or just a jerk. lol

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Welcome, and you already know the answer to this question I'm sure. Legally it is not allowed as lane splitting is illegal here. Is is right? That is up to you personally......and the drivers you squeeze past.
I'm sure there are many who agree with your way of thinking, who live in the cities and have to deal with what you do. I live an hour north and don't suffer the same crap traffic so it isn't necessary.

So, the answer is individual I'm assuming....to each their own.....just don't get caught. Not sure what the ticket would be or if you get points for it......?
I'm old now and can sit and wait.....plus the big thing for me is.....making sure I keep a clean driving licience for ins. costs.

·
Premium Member
5,481 Posts
To me, your question/scenario is a little unclear. Are you talking about a single line of vehicles where you wind up between the first car at the light and the curb, or are you talking moving up in between two lines of cars?

If the former, a car that abruptly and unexpectedly decides to turn right instead of going straight could really ruin your day.

Besides, car fumes aren't all that bad. Sit back and enjoy the high!

http://jezebel.com/5859053/breathing-car-exhaust-can-calm-you-down-but-can-also-kill-you

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
Passing on the right is always illegal and a bad idea in general.

I do creep up to the front of the line if traffic is bad, but I prefer go between the cars.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
My perception of the exact situation isn't clear, but . . . as one can read ON THE MASTHEAD OF THIS WEBSITE; lane-splitting, or lane-sharing by motorcycles, IS LEGAL IN CALIFORNIA.

Don't know the OP's state of residence, but . . . the practice remains illegal in the other 49 states, AFAIK.

If a motorcyclist should TRY the maneuver around here, the act would doubtless anger some 4-wheel vehicle motorists hereabouts, who might engage in dangerous retaliation.

I support lane-splitting where legal, and ACCEPTED BY THE MOTORING PUBLIC, as it is generally under safe and prudent condtions, in California.

I DO NOT lane-split where illegal myself; YMMV!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I move up on the right side. Between the curb and cars. If they have the blinker on to make a turn then I don't pass them and I never pass moving cars that way and I do it very slowly I know u can't pass on the right but ontario law also states to keep to the right. So there is a contradiction. Bicycles do it all the time and I'm not that much bigger then a bicycle.

I've never felt that it was unsafe. But still I keep a look out for crown victorias before

·
Registered
16 Posts
Passing on the right is always illegal and a bad idea in general.

I do creep up to the front of the line if traffic is bad, but I prefer go between the cars.
From the Highway Traffic Act

Passing to right of vehicle

150. (1) The driver of a motor vehicle may overtake and pass to the right of another vehicle only where the movement can be made in safety and,

(a) the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn or its driver has signalled his or her intention to make a left turn;

(b) is made on a highway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of vehicles in each direction; or

(c) is made on a highway designated for the use of one-way traffic only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 150 (1).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hummm.. so with that it means I could pass on the right on lakeshore but not on a side road. Seems weird I bet they never really had this exact issue come up when they wrote the hta since bikes are a small percentage of the road. Ill just stick to 4 lane roads then lol. And keep a copy of this hta entry on me

·
Registered
16 Posts
“highway” includes a common and public highway, street, avenue, parkway, driveway, square, place, bridge, viaduct or trestle, any part of which is intended for or used by the general public for the passage of vehicles and includes the area between the lateral property lines thereof; (“voie publique”)

If you Google 'Highway Traffic Act' (I can't post the URL for some reason) you will find all the info there. I don't think your local police station will mind a phone call if you don't understand something. It is a bit of a confusing read, but good to know for your own right etc.

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
From the Highway Traffic Act

Passing to right of vehicle

150. (1) The driver of a motor vehicle may overtake and pass to the right of another vehicle only where the movement can be made in safety and,

(a) the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn or its driver has signalled his or her intention to make a left turn;

(b) is made on a highway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of vehicles in each direction; or

(c) is made on a highway designated for the use of one-way traffic only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 150 (1).
This is all good stuff, but I assumed the OP was talking about city streets where he is passing the stopped cars on the right side where there is no lane. This is what I meant by passing on the right. You will get a ticket for that in my state if the cop feels like citing you. Trust me, I've been pulled over for doing this.

Same with passing on the the right of cars on a highway where you are essentially passing on the shoulder. I believe this to be a big no-no. (doesn't mean that I have never done this, but when I do I try not to cross the solid white line on the side of the road)

Splitting between cars to get to the front of the line at a stop light can also get you a ticket. Although I have heard of folks getting away with it if they prove to the cop that the city street is also part of a state highway and therefore subject to the CA traffic laws where lane splitting is legal.

Now that I re-read the original post I'm not exactly sure what he is doing, but if he is passing cars on the right where there is no other lane on a city street he needs to be careful that a car at the front of the line does not suddenly decide to turn right at the corner and therefor hitting him. Another thing to watch out for is another car in line suddenly pulling out and passing on the right to make a turn at the corner. These things could ruin your day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts