Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably been through the ringer a few times, but I need some advice on rear tire selection.
2009 Klr 650 which I use for work traveling about 400 miles per week.
I am looking for a rear tire that will give me good mileage. Just passed the 3000 mark and the rear is about gone:crying:. Front is fine. Does not need to be aggressive as 95% of my riding will be on road and most on interstate.
Any suggestions
Thanks
Redbond4

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Continental Trail Attacks will last awhile; excellent (relatively) on wet pavement; good highway tire, in my experience.

Many other tires can offer the same or more mileage, I imagine; not sure about their performance in the rain.

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
I put a set of Avon Distanzia Dual Sport Tires (20/80 rated) on a little 2012 650 Versys I had. They were a really nice tire. Great on the roads, wet or dry. Good on gravel. Decent on shallow soft stuff. Cool looking tread pattern. I flipped the bike before I burned out that set, but they got great wear reviews. There's a guy in the Revzilla reviews that said he gets 12-13K miles out of them...two sets so far on a KLR650.

Revzilla doesn't carry all the brands of dual sport tires but they carry most of them. They have many video reviews and the buyer reviews there always seem the most useful.

·
Premium Member
6,670 Posts
This has probably been through the ringer a few times, but I need some advice on rear tire selection.
2009 Klr 650 which I use for work traveling about 400 miles per week.
I am looking for a rear tire that will give me good mileage. Just passed the 3000 mark and the rear is about gone:crying:. Front is fine. Does not need to be aggressive as 95% of my riding will be on road and most on interstate.
Any suggestions
Thanks
Redbond4
redbond4,
I was completely satisfied with the performance and longevity of the Avon Gripster. 8500-11,000 miles from 4 consecutive Rear Tires! I cut thru the center of them once removed, wouldn't have hesitated to ride 500-1000 miles on a 'Bald-Tire' to get home. Rather than change a tire on a trip! They have just recently been "DISCONTINUED"!! ARRGUHHH!

Ok, So next on my list of possible replacements.
Kenda K761's and Shinko E705's.
Both reported to go 10,000+ miles on one rear tire!
Less expensive than an Avon Gripster also. !! Time and mileage will tell the story!

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
So how many miles have you got out of the Kenda 671 ?. Thanks for the link
My brother keeps better records than me. I changed a rear early and at the time it had 12K miles on it. They are great tires and reasonable priced.

Do a forum search for Kenda 761 and you'll find more info. They are quite popular.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have a Kenda 761, little over 3000 miles since I put it on, hardly any wear. Most of my miles are street, some gravel, some dirt.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies. If I can get 10k from a rear I will be happy. I am going to check out the Kenda.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Does anyone have time experience with Anakee IIIs on their KLR? I just added them to my 2009, but am on the fence on their performance and longevity.

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
I had a set of Shinko 705's that did very well on tar. I did not like it in the dirt though. Price is good as well.
I ran a set of 705's too. Actually still running the front but wore the rear out some time ago. Tire compares to the Kenda 761 but the Kenda definitely lasts longer in my experience.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts