Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm getting to the point in my electrical mod planning scheme now, that I'm hoping to find good options to switch "on and off" as needed the following items (they will be powered and fused through a common add on fuse block that has tie in points for 6 independently fused electrical connections.

1) 2 - 10W Daylight running lights (for higher visibility)
2) Heated gear outlet switch
3) GPS charger
4) Tank bag power cord
5) Aux 1
6) Aux 2

So there will be 6 switches. I can probably get by with 4, but would like to do the work for future options now, if needed later. I was thinking about rocker switches on the front end flat areas - but maybe there are better ideas? Anyhow, if you have some switch panel ideas, links or advice - that would be great!

UPDATE:
I just posted the entire process I went through to upgrade my electrical system here:
http://www.klrforum.com/showthread.php?p=77032#post77032
It inlcudes a panel switch, and 3 new circuits to run my heated gear, LED running lights, GPS, phone charger, and battery meter.
There's a whole bunch of anotated pictures at that link as well.

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
Do an eBay search for KLR Dash. There is a guy on there who sells a pretty decent product for a reasonable price. My brother bought one and I was pretty impressed with it. I spent the time to build my own but buying would have been easier.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I'm getting to the point in my electrical mod planning scheme now, that I'm hoping to find good options to switch "on and off" as needed the following items (they will be powered and fused through a common add on fuse block that has tie in points for 6 independently fused electrical connections.

1) 2 - 10W Daylight running lights (for higher visibility)
2) Heated gear outlet switch
3) GPS charger
4) Tank bag power cord
5) Aux 1
6) Aux 2

So there will be 6 switches. I can probably get by with 4, but would like to do the work for future options now, if needed later. I was thinking about rocker switches on the front end flat areas - but maybe there are better ideas? Anyhow, if you have some switch panel ideas, links or advice - that would be great!

Probably know this but use a relay on the main power for stuff you don't want left on when the bike is off!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Spec and KLR4ever - I'll take a look at the dash and I definitely need that relay - I got one of the distribution fuse block / relay power distribution panels from ElectricalConnection but don't know where I'm going to mount it yet. I have to find a place for it, and for the switches and a GPS too. I'm gonna have to think this one through for a bit. Maybe the KLR-dash - with some low profile round rocker switches - that would be sort of tangle resistant compared to those traditional high toggles - considering they would be attached to the handlebars on the KLRdash.

·
Administrator
8,279 Posts
Adventure Moto -

There are some neat sites around with motorcycle connectors and stuff. Have you ever looked at Eastern Beaver? He's over in Japan, but makes some KLR-specific electrical stuff.

T

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe a custom plate - off the handlebar bolts - with some low profile rockers - and a place somehow to mount the GPS too? I've seen GPS mounts for the cross bar - maybe some hybrid of that or off the bar bolts themselves?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Yeah, I thought the Fuzeblock was designed really well. All you have to do to change between "switched" and constant power is move the fuse from one side to the other. Brilliant! The trick is to find a home for it in the faring. Then you just need to run one each of power and ground wires to the Fuzeblock instead of having a bunch of wires from the battery area up to the faring. It even has six circuits like you want. I'll be adding one to my bike for sure.

·
Registered
56 Posts
homemade dash

I was looking for a similar setup although I haven't yet added all of the switches I will be using. I saw the KLRdash and liked the ideas but wanted a little lower profile setup up. So I made my own.

I just used 1/8th inch aluminum (from an old street sign) after making a template with some cardboard. Cut it out, bent in the mounting tabs and formed it in a nice curve to match the existing dash. I used a bedliner spray paint which ended up matching the plastic below. The only reason I had the room to do this is because that is a double bubble windscreen on the bike.

If I got rid of that thermo/clock I could fit 5-6 switches on there. I did put in relays and wired up a electrical block behind the windscreen so I can add things on later.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I ordered a KLR Dash - and agree very thin gauge and the the holes are not a usefull size for standard toggles anyhow - too big. I talked to Eagle Mike by email tonight as I just ordered a fork brace and prevailing nut for the front sprocket, and he said he may have some ideas in the works for a cross bar mounted plate for GPS and switches. I was riding today, and down the highway, the cross bar has a lot of vibration - so my big concern is that any GPS sitting on it, especially the cheap Walmart Tom Tom I just got, might get shook to death without some good vibe isolation rubber / or foam. Anyhow - anyone else have any ideas on a good switch panel? Still searching!

·
Registered
3 Posts
GPS Mount

to mount a GPS I recommend a RAM mount. I have one for my Garmin and it works great. Your'e gonna love EM's fork brace,,John

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
UPDATE:
Just ordered a RAM mount for my cheapo Tom Tom XL 325 SE GPS ($69 dollars at Walmart!) - and a handlebar clamp - both from RAM. I hope it does not vibrate the GPS to death on the KLR - but what the heck - 69 bucks vs. the Zumo for 6 or 700 dollars or what ever they want! I'll take my chances! And the cheap one has all of the US and Canada maps - so that's pretty nice for my location in Washington State.

Now what to do about switches?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was looking for a similar setup although I haven't yet added all of the switches I will be using. I saw the KLRdash and liked the ideas but wanted a little lower profile setup up. So I made my own.

I just used 1/8th inch aluminum (from an old street sign) after making a template with some cardboard. Cut it out, bent in the mounting tabs and formed it in a nice curve to match the existing dash. I used a bedliner spray paint which ended up matching the plastic below. The only reason I had the room to do this is because that is a double bubble windscreen on the bike.

If I got rid of that thermo/clock I could fit 5-6 switches on there. I did put in relays and wired up a electrical block behind the windscreen so I can add things on later.
What would be the problem with simply using the space already provided on either side of the gage cluster?
I am not near my KLR so I must be missing something.

·
Administrator
8,279 Posts
Chaos -

Nothing that I have been able to see would cause a problem. They put those three stupid little dimples there, though. I would have preferred a nice flat surface.

T

1 - 20 of 23 Posts