Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just curios the Gen3 has a 6.1 gallon tank, why would you need more?
Where you riding?
10 gallons of fuel that high on the bike is gonna make it hard to handle.
You'd be better off caring auxiliary fuel bottles in or on your panniers, a lot lower.

·
Premium Member
3,977 Posts
Someone just posted that they are averaging 44 mpg with thier 2022.....though this is a sample pool of one, it doesn't appear that there will be any massive changes in economy. I knew there would be little/no change in hp but was hoping the EFI would squeeze out 3-5 more mpg... time will tell for sure.

Dave

·
Registered
80 Posts
Someone just posted that they are averaging 44 mpg with thier 2022.....though this is a sample pool of one, it doesn't appear that there will be any massive changes in economy. I knew there would be little/no change in hp but was hoping the EFI would squeeze out 3-5 more mpg... time will tell for sure.

Dave
And the motor is probably still getting broken in. The MPG should improve some as it gets more miles on it.

·
Premium Member
9,211 Posts
The very first 'Adventure trip' with 3 near new 1987 KLR650's in August 1987, we achieved 62, 61 & 60 mpg on mostly graded gravel roads between Shoshoni, WY - Hole in the Wall, WY - Buffalo, WY. At speeds of 30-70mph.

The beginning mileages of the bikes were about, 1500mi, 1000mi, 500mi. respectively.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for the response, so, to answer one of the common things, people who used the IMS 10Gal. tank on the previous Gen2 model mentioned you don't have to fill the tank to the brim, with the larger fuel tank the fuel settles to a lower center of gravity if you choose to.

Now, I don't plan to go roughing it in Australia back country or anything, but I definitely would like to be able to stock up on gas at favorable times, as in when I can get .10 cents off gas at some gas stations or such so that I could pay 2.68 for gas or such, instead of getting stuck needing to buy gas at a higher price if I used up 6 out of the 6.1 gallons of fuel.

I don't so much care about additional weight very much as much as just not needing to stop as often. With a 10 Gallon fuel tank, if the bike gets "only" 40mpg, that gives me 360 miles before I'm on the final gallon, which means I'd only need to make 1 stop on a 653 mile road trip *If I leave with a full tank. Another not uncommon trip for me is to Pennsylvania, in which if the bike gets "only" 40mpg, I'd only need to stop 3 times *again, assuming I leave with a full tank and go 360 miles before refueling. (1,218 miles).

TL;DR It's not about not having gas stations, not riding in Aussie back country, not so much about getting a 10Gal and still using only 6.1gal just in a lower center of the bike, it's about saving time, not having to stop as often. If I can stop 3 times for gas going just over 1.2k miles, I'd rather do that than stop 5 times, when I'm doing 1.2k road trips (one-way) I'm not going to bring a passenger with me, and generally I can hold my bladder for the next gas stop, rather than making a gas stop out of a bathroom break.

·
Administrator
9,335 Posts
I don't normally do this because I really don't care what you do to your bike, but I have a warm place in my heart for the IMS 10. Oh, wait, it's heartburn.

The IMS 10 costs about $200 more than the IMS 6.6. If part of the rationale is to be able to take advantage of savings on fuel cost, say 10 cents a gallon from time to time, then it would take 2000 gallons to break even. That's 80,000 miles of riding. And that is extra gallons and extra riding wherein you are taking advantage of special savings. All that while you'll have to put up with the specter of a non-functional fuel pump. If you were to ride around with six gallons in it you'd need to have the fuel pump operational half the time. they are rather notorious for failing.

I'm like the Packard guy; I owned one. I gave it away. Really. Gave it away and was happy to see it go. I now have a 6.6 that holds about 7 gallons, all gravity fed.

And saving time by sitting on it? If you can sit on it for six hours you might just be able to do that. The KLR seat is an ass hatchet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you can sit on a KLR for 360 miles at a time, you’ve got more iron in your butt than I do.
[...] And saving time by sitting on it? If you can sit on it for six hours you might just be able to do that. The KLR seat is an ass hatchet.
You wouldn’t be able to walk if you rode a KLR for 360 miles, sorry but I call BS .
From the reviews I've seen the 2022 model has a more comfortable seat? Also, for just some refreshing to anyone and everyone's memory.. you guys ever have those hard ass plastic/metal seats at school? The ones connected to a desk usually? We all sat in those seats for ~6 hours a day, with just usually 5 minutes of walking from one class to the next. I'm trying to say that effectively any seat that is not literal metal or hard plastic is probably going to be okay.

·
Registered
53 Posts
From the reviews I've seen the 2022 model has a more comfortable seat? Also, for just some refreshing to anyone and everyone's memory.. you guys ever have those hard ass plastic/metal seats at school? The ones connected to a desk usually? We all sat in those seats for ~6 hours a day, with just usually 5 minutes of walking from one class to the next. I'm trying to say that effectively any seat that is not literal metal or hard plastic is probably going to be okay.
The new seat is very comfortable. On the road for two hours today no issues.

I would pay for a smaller gas tank tho. The bike rides perfect with a half a tank off road.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts