Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been afforded the opportunity to buy a HP2000 laptop with an AMD E300 processor and 4G Ram running Windows 98.

It's a little on the rough side and the previous owner even has one of those "bullet hole" stickers on it.

I've been messing around with it and it seems to run fine aside from all the extraneous HP crap on it and the battery seems to hold a charge okay. To me, it seems like a "high school student's computer."

Anyway, it would be nice to not be tethered to the desktop and I can also use it to control my telescope out in the back yard.

It's pretty bare-bones hardware-wise with a lot of scratches on the case and seems like it's cheap, functional and not too delicate. The plastic on it reminds me of a kid's electronic toy.

I'm thinking of offering $150 take-it-or-leave-it for the thing. Any computer gurus out there who would care to chime in? Me? I don't really see how I can go wrong at that price but probably wouldn't pay any more for it.

A same "refurbished" model at WalMart sells for around $280. They seem to go for around $200 on eBay.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
Well you can go wrong - you can be out $150.

Go lower. That kinda stuff is mostly give away. I scored a similar vintage LG laptop for free. Does what I need but I seldom use it.

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I don't know. In my experience, a computer basically either works or it doesn't. They seem to have been first offered for sale in 2012 and that's when Windows8 came out. So I'm guessing it's about 2 years old. It doesn't seem to be contaminated in any way. I'm gonna play with it for a few days and see how it does.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Did you say Windows 98? $50 max if it's in mint condition and you're a collector. Most people pay to recycle Windows 98 laptops.

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It's running Windows 8.1. Aside from helping me date it, the operating system doesn't matter to me. I'm still quite happy with the Vista I'm using on this computer. I don't make great demands of my equipment. It doesn't have Office, either. I saw the icon, but it was just a free trial version. It's obviously a Walmart-sold computer. I'm going to load my astronomy stuff on it and if it controls the telescope with no issues, I think I'll go ahead and offer her $150 for it and strip it down to bare bones. I've been using an iPod Touch for that purpose and even with my progressive eyeglass lenses and large, bumbling fingers, that iPod screen just seems to be getting smaller and smaller. It would be nice to just push buttons or use the mouse pad instead of sliding, pinching, squeezing, etc.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ya when you said Windows 98 I thought that would be a give away unit but with 8.1 and running good with a good battery then $150 seems fair. You aren't getting a steal deal and she is getting the $ she wants for her gear. Good karma all around.

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya when you said Windows 98 I thought that would be a give away unit but with 8.1 and running good with a good battery then $150 seems fair. You aren't getting a steal deal and she is getting the $ she wants for her gear. Good karma all around.
Yeah, she's my wife's boss and she's given us some good deals on some other stuff we bought from her so I don't want to lowball her. She didn't buy it so I don't really think she has any idea what it cost new or what its worth is so I'm trying to figure that out. It's kind of hard to find info on what a particular computer went for 2 years ago. I dont' think I'd be comortable offering her $100 for it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yeah, she's my wife's boss and she's given us some good deals on some other stuff we bought from her so I don't want to lowball her. She didn't buy it so I don't really think she has any idea what it cost new or what its worth is so I'm trying to figure that out. It's kind of hard to find info on what a particular computer went for 2 years ago. I dont' think I'd be comortable offering her $100 for it.
On average it sold for about $398, with a MSRP of $298

Here is a PC mag write up about it. Basic unit good brand

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2422860,00.asp

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, garthw. I hadn't seen that review and it answers all my questions as to what these things were all about when new. I feel comfortable that it would be worth $150 for my intended uses. I appreciate the review!

·
Registered
387 Posts
It's running Windows 8.1. Aside from helping me date it, the operating system doesn't matter to me. I'm still quite happy with the Vista I'm using on this computer. I don't make great demands of my equipment. It doesn't have Office, either. I saw the icon, but it was just a free trial version. It's obviously a Walmart-sold computer. I'm going to load my astronomy stuff on it and if it controls the telescope with no issues, I think I'll go ahead and offer her $150 for it and strip it down to bare bones. I've been using an iPod Touch for that purpose and even with my progressive eyeglass lenses and large, bumbling fingers, that iPod screen just seems to be getting smaller and smaller. It would be nice to just push buttons or use the mouse pad instead of sliding, pinching, squeezing, etc.
8.1 is quite nice as operation systems go. Sounds like a winner.

·
Registered
378 Posts
So did you decide on the offer? Just to point out a couple things about laptop computers. The slowest part of the computer is the hard drive. There is a really good chance that the unit has a 5400 rpm drive. That is so common because they are dirt cheap. It use to be that a good hardrive was normally 7200 rpm but HP, DELL, toshiba, etc. all stopped installing them and went with the 30% slower drive so they can offer $500 laptops. Often they have a second harddrive slot and most recommend a SSD (solid state drive). The problem there is the technical know-how to back up the system and restore to a two drive system in order to get some performance out of the laptop. Not to mention the extra, got ya, cost of an SSD $200-$400 for a good one.

In short almost all the same unless you are a gamer. So $150 with Windows 8.1 is a good deal. The 4GB ram will be taxed for that OS but if all you are doing is typing some docs, checking emails, watching movies, then it is perfectly fine. Do get a backup external drive for backing files up. And if the system is slow, then turn of superfetch service (constantly writing to hard drive)...

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So did you decide on the offer? Just to point out a couple things about laptop computers. The slowest part of the computer is the hard drive. There is a really good chance that the unit has a 5400 rpm drive. That is so common because they are dirt cheap. It use to be that a good hardrive was normally 7200 rpm but HP, DELL, toshiba, etc. all stopped installing them and went with the 30% slower drive so they can offer $500 laptops. Often they have a second harddrive slot and most recommend a SSD (solid state drive). The problem there is the technical know-how to back up the system and restore to a two drive system in order to get some performance out of the laptop. Not to mention the extra, got ya, cost of an SSD $200-$400 for a good one.

In short almost all the same unless you are a gamer. So $150 with Windows 8.1 is a good deal. The 4GB ram will be taxed for that OS but if all you are doing is typing some docs, checking emails, watching movies, then it is perfectly fine. Do get a backup external drive for backing files up. And if the system is slow, then turn of superfetch service (constantly writing to hard drive)...
About all I'll do with it is email, browsing the 'net and running my astronomy program/telescope controller and that's not a very extensive program as far as graphics or requirements. I'm sure it will do fine for that stuff. I think the last time I played a video game was in the early '80's, stoned and playing PacMan in a 7-11, sidetracked by this fascinating form of entertainment while on a quest for munchies.....

·
Registered
378 Posts
unfortunately I have been hooked on gaming since I played them on the Commodore 128 ( successor to the Commodore 64). I have been programming since the Commodore Pet with its monochrome green screen. Maybe that is why I like my KLR, it is old and simple compared to the latest in adventure bike.

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, the wife lowballed her and I got it for $100 so I thought that was a pretty good deal. Now it's time to clean it up and figure out how to use it to control the telescope.....

·
Registered
378 Posts
excellent deal...cannot get much for $100, well maybe a farkle or two...

just a note to maximise you battery on the laptop, since you do not know how it was treated (ex. plugged in all the time), just take some time to fully charge it and deplete it a couple times. If you are going to use it as a desktop where it is on all the time, then remove the battery while it is plugged in for extended periods. Lithium batteries in the laptop are great but their weakness if their life is drastically shorten when left plugged in all the time.

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
excellent deal...cannot get much for $100, well maybe a farkle or two...

just a note to maximise you battery on the laptop, since you do not know how it was treated (ex. plugged in all the time), just take some time to fully charge it and deplete it a couple times. If you are going to use it as a desktop where it is on all the time, then remove the battery while it is plugged in for extended periods. Lithium batteries in the laptop are great but their weakness if their life is drastically shorten when left plugged in all the time.
Hmm. This is interesting and something I hadn't thought of. Thanks for this info, fradsham. This is actually my first notebook. For now, I'm using it a lot configuring it and getting used to Windows 8. After that, it will mostly stay off unless I happen to want to use it out in the living room.

In use out in the yard, it will be plugged in since I use AC power for the telescope even though it will run on batteries. It seems to be more stable and reliable when using an AC adapter. If I've got an extension cord out there for the scope, might as well plug in the computer, too.

I will heed your advice to try to maintain maximum service life from the battery.

When I use it like that, I'll just pop out the battery.

I'll take your advice and run it on batteries alone and run it down a couple of times. I'll avoid leaving it sitting around plugged in all the time.

·
Lifetime Member
2,482 Posts
That is an excellent deal, heck, it cost's more than that to fill up my truck! :)

Interesting using it to guide a telescope, I had a cheap telescope once and I couldn't find anything other than the moon with it, and even that was tricky!

·
Registered
378 Posts
That is an excellent deal, heck, it cost's more than that to fill up my truck! :)

Interesting using it to guide a telescope, I had a cheap telescope once and I couldn't find anything other than the moon with it, and even that was tricky!
didn't need a telescope here in Newfoundland last night. The moon was so large for Friday 13th..

Source:// past.theweathernetwork.com/your_weather/details/620/19237816/

·
Registered
378 Posts
It seems to be more stable and reliable when using an AC adapter.
The reason is that the processor usually runs at maximum speed when plugged in. On batteries the power plan tries to turn down the processor by a few hundred Mhz to reduce the power consumption from the battery. Hence the machine may not seem as responsive.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts