Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got 2011 Concours. WOW I have had a lot of bike that I though where fast. This thing is stupid fast and yet very controllable. Checked out some of the concours forums, seem to be kind of dead. The klr riders are more active so who else around here has a concours. I think I have the best of both worlds a klr and a concours.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had a 2004 C10. Not the horse power of the newer C14 but a very capable and comfortable bike on the highway. Put 50K on it in 4 years. One of the most dependable bikes I have ever owned. Traded it straight up for my 2006 KLR650. It had 53K anf the KLR had 7K so we made a straight swap.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had an 05 that I traded for my klr. I hope this 2011 is just as reliable as my 05 was. As long as I can afford the 2 bike I will keep them both, but to tell the truth if I had to make a choose the c14 would go before the klr.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've had my KLR 09 for almost 7 months and have over 13,000 miles. That's almost as much as I rode my concours14 in 3 years. This week I rode with a buddy up to Grandfather Mt.,NC he has a BMW1200rs with cruise. On the way up there we switched bikes big power but I was cramped up with legs and weight on the wrist. Kilowatt after hiking up to the top of McRae Mt. FOOLISH! he said this. When we got back to the bikes he looked at my KLR and said if I had to ride that home I would call someone to pick me up. I told him thats the most comfortable bike I've ever owned and in 40yrs of riding I've lost count. I do miss that 14 motor its awesome.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The klr has more seat to peg room that I like more then the concours. I don't understand why you go for a lower seat on something like a concours, I would be looking through my knees. I would like to find a flatter seat for the bike. I do ride my concours on longer road trips, I'm good for 200 miles before having to stop for fuel and stretch. The klr half that. The seats on both bikes could do with some improvement. But for less then the price of a BMW I have 2 bikes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I tried 3 seats on the 14 and liked the gel seat from Kawasaki the best. I have the standard sgt seat on my klr and love it. The sgt seat on the klr is the best seat period I've ever owned.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've got a 2008 with 5000 miles, I like the bike but I figure that since I got my KLR it will be setting more than it already does.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In the past 5 weeks I've put 4,300 miles on the C-14 and about 50 on the klr. I my just eat my words, the klr is sitting to much. I really like the C-14 if the the klr was worth anything I think a for sale sign would be on it. But it don't eat much and I know I would kick myself, so I'll keep it for now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Since for physical reasons he can't ride anymore, Over Christmas I bought a friend's 86 with 27,000 mi's. on it,bought new by him.
He'd already done all the necessary mods & improvements one would do.ie Progressive springs, bars,risers, brakes, Bill Mayer seat,etc.......
It will share a room with the KLR & my Victory.
Great bike for visitors(and me) to ride..

·
Registered
40 Posts
KLR Concours

I owned both bikes at the same time. 08 Concours and an 07 KLR. I loved both bikes for very different reasons. The Concours is the ultimate rocket ship and incredible fun on the hwy and touring. It was hard to take short trips around town (in summer) because of the engine heat. I put risers on the handlebars that gave a more comfortable riding position. The KLR is the perfect bike for everything the Concours isn't. My list of farkles would take up two pages. That was half the fun of that bike. I bought it when I turned 50 to take an adventure ride.
To me those two bikes are the perfect one two punch to have in your garage. I had to sell them both for financial reasons but will own that combination again.
Ride defensive and aware.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I owned both bikes at the same time. 08 Concours and an 07 KLR. I loved both bikes for very different reasons. The Concours is the ultimate rocket ship and incredible fun on the hwy and touring. It was hard to take short trips around town (in summer) because of the engine heat. I put risers on the handlebars that gave a more comfortable riding position. The KLR is the perfect bike for everything the Concours isn't. My list of farkles would take up two pages. That was half the fun of that bike. I bought it when I turned 50 to take an adventure ride.
To me those two bikes are the perfect one two punch to have in your garage. I had to sell them both for financial reasons but will own that combination again.
Ride defensive and aware.
Well said, the best of both worlds, and 2 bikes for less money then one GS 1200...lol

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Well said, the best of both worlds, and 2 bikes for less money then one GS 1200...lol
Ouch.. :) Actually I got a great deal on mine with very few miles.. And then I added 2500 getting it back home... It was spotless when I picked it up...

And I had the same issue.. Two bikes to cover both ends of a spectrum... GoldWing and a heavily farkled KLR.. Sold the Wing to buy the GS, but I can't force myself to sell the KLR..:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
After much research and reading, I decided that the Concours and KLR would make a nice pair of complimentary bikes that could be had on a small budget. So after watching Craigslist for quite a while, I suddenly found a some in my price range and a few weeks ago scored both a 93 KLR and a 91 Concours. I have a Honda 1100 Shadow cruiser which I like, but have been wanting to try a sport tourer type of bike as well as a dual sport for the mountains nearby. I figured these would get me in the game and I can upgrade later depending on how I like them. The Connie seems to have been carefully maintained, has a few upgrades like progressive springs, tail case, a rifle windshield, and it runs great. Compared to my Shadow, the Connie feels like a rocketship. The KLR on the other hand has been used hard and I'm working on resolving an oil burning issue. It's now scattered in my garage, but I think I've now got everything I need to put it back in reasonable shape. The really crazy thing to me is that by the time I have them both on the road, I THINK I'll come in right around $2k for the pair. I'm looking forward to riding them both, and am "discussing" with my wife about the real necessity of owning 3 bikes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I currently have an 06 klr and an 09 concours which is a very good combination in my opinion. The 09 concours replaced a 05 connie.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's great, the pair for 2k. If you do your own work on the Concours made sure you torque those jam nuts to specification when you do your valve adjustment. Many C 10s have bit the dust when the adjustment screw backs out, the rocker beats the valve keepers out and you drop a valve. Both bikes are very easy to work on and run a long time.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Gearhead did you know that you have the last of the out of the box fast C 14s. Llimited top speed of 183 mph, 2010 and up are limited 155 mph. The price you pay for heated grips. :character00271:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts