Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously thinking of adding a Goldwing 1500 to the stable. Looking for something more akin to two-up travel. Any other Goldwing owners here? Recommendations for what to watch out for appreciated. I'm primarily only interested in a 1500 between 1995 - 2000.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Former 1500 (1995) owner and current 2008 1800 owner.. Great motorcycles, both!!

I've found the 1500 is a great touring bike, and the 1800 is a great sport touring bike (that'll also eat up distance)

http://www.northamericangoldwings.com/
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/
These are both very good Wing forums with loads of knowledgable Wing riders.. I consider myself a renegade Wing rider, since I don't fit the standard.. I hate riding in big groups, I wear an Aerostich and full face helmet, and I find the regular Wing riders are Geeks..:)

If you're after a 1500, from everything I've read, the later the year, the better. Better lights, suspension, etc.. I think the 98' to 00' are pretty much the same as far as factory updates.

My only suggestion is that if you ever get a chance to ride a 1800 and you're not ready to buy one, DON'T RIDE IT!! You'll be hooked!! :16a:

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 1800 is kinda off my radar because of my budget. Early models had some serious frame issues which had to be re-welded.

What I am looking at is a 2000 with about 30,000 miles. I too would be renegade.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
The 1800 is kinda off my radar because of my budget. Early models had some serious frame issues which had to be re-welded.

What I am looking at is a 2000 with about 30,000 miles. I too would be renegade.

Yep.. I know a shop north of Chicago that was doing warranty rewelding of the frames. They could knock the work out in about 3 hours, most of that being getting the bike in the jig and removing the needed body work.. There was a big change in 06' on the bike and they took care of the reweld.

A 2000 with 30K would be very nice. All the upgrades, better lighting than my 95' (which wasn't bad, anyway) and at 30k it's basically just broken in.. :)

May I ask the price??

Also, is this a US bike (noticed you said miles, not KM), and I was wondering what duty you'd have to pay to bring one across the border?? I almost bought a BMW in Oakville while there for work in Burlington and I always wondered what I would have paid to bring it back to the US.. Didn't happen, but I always wondered..

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bike is a Canadian bike. I converted the kilometers to miles due to the membership here. US bikes are set up fro California emissions supposedly resulting in poorer fuel economy.

Anyway one ride was all it took. I pick it up on Monday.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
That's a sweet looking Wing. I think you may have to change this though:

"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. "

Not sure if it still applies. ;)

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a sweet looking Wing. I think you may have to change this though:

"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. "

Not sure if it still applies. ;)

Well I'm not parting with the KLR so most still applies.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Those are the biggest deer whistles I've ever seen!!!

Enjoy the bike, and you'll find that you're able to put a ton of miles on without thinking about it, now.. With my 1800 I hate seeing 200 miles on the trip meter.. It means that in the next 25 or so miles I'll have to stop for fuel.. It's no problem at all riding 200-225 miles non-stop.. Actually, you'll be amazed how fast each tank dissapears..

I was getting a pretty solid 38mpg with my 1500. I get 42-44 with the 1800, and it's got a little bit bigger tank than the 1500.. I'm guessing you'll get the low fuel light around 200-220KM on your bike..

Deer whistles.. I crack me up...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts