Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my '03 KLR (green), and the front fender and fairing are already faded. Can they be buffed out or is there anything I can put on them to at least minimize the faded look?

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
You could try hitting them with Lemon Pledge furniture polish and see if that brings back an acceptable shine. If it doesn't I've heard of others using a heat gun to gently bring the color back, being careful not to melt or scorch it though! I've also heard of shaving off the oxidized layer with a razor blade. The only one of these three methods I have used was the lemon pledge, it worked well but my plastic wasn't really faded, mostly scuffed.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I used that on non painted plastic in the past. It's awesome. I plan to possibly get some and try it on the painted parts. I got a black 15 and while the tank plastics are great, the sides and fenders are dull as can be.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
I don't like painted plastic on my bikes so I used a combination of heat gun, numberplate background and clear and new pces where necessary;

...this one has been done for a couple years now. nothing has been done since except cleaning.

Dave

·
Premium Member
6,853 Posts
Don't have a clue what yur talking about, but it sure looks good. The same color as my bike.
medford2,
Use a single edge razor to Scrap Off the white, chalky surface.
Use a heat gun to 'raise and blend the "oils" with-in the plastic to the surface.
Use "plastic restore" or head-light restore to smooth the surface by chemically melting the plastic surface!

Your correct, Daves bikes look sharp!

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
Haha; OK

- 1st I gave all the plastic a good cleaning

- then I used a heat gun (sparingly) on some discoloration and problem areas

- I replaced the RS side plate as it was melted and the front fender because it was far easier than trying to make the original look presentable.

- I covered both side plates with FactoryEffex numberplate background and clear film

- I covered the upper portion of the cowl with clear film.

The film prevents oxidation and makes the plastic shine better than new. I've used this film on my race bikes for decades and it holds up VERY well and protects the plastic.

...that better?

Dave

·
Registered
97 Posts
This will help- but only if it’s black. Home Depot sells an aerosol can of spray bed liner. It’s not real rough, slightly textured. Looks really good actually. It last for yrs. I’ve used this on faded Jeep Wranglerplactic fender skirts and bumper parts. It’s tough, flexes some ( guessing) as I never had any chip or crack off the Jeep fender skirts after brush or mud flexed them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Maybe I am cheap,lazy, or just not picky.
Probably all of the above.
When I got some ugly scratches in my front fender I just sanded down the sharp edges and used Plasti Dip. I like the flat black. Matches the flat black on the fairing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
the new klr i picked up had a faded front red fender and cracked and ziptied rear, i bought a cheap black rear in great shape off ebay and installed it, really nice. and i hade been having good luck with a buffing wheel and aluminum polish on the front fender so far. then hitting with tuttle wax hard shell.

Blue-Magic-200-Liquid-Polish, Turtle-Wax-T-223-Super-Shel, Buffing-Polishing-Wheel-Drill-Flannelette

all these are on amazon but it wont let me link them for you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts