Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My horn went bad. Is there any reason I couldn't use a car horn? Would it draw to many amps?

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
My horn went bad. Is there any reason I couldn't use a car horn? Would it draw to many amps?
Toney,
Q#1, NO.
Q#2, Yes for stock wiring.

Use a relay system from the stock button, the relay system will have larger wire directly to the horn. Normk will possibly explain it better.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It fixed itself. I don't know why. Maybe mud in it????

·
Registered
195 Posts
We've had some bike come out of the crate with horns that don't work. We call it "they need to be birthed" Someone just taps on it till it works.

Here's the horn to get.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
If you were to use a Fiamm 40365 (low tone) or a Fiamm 40310 (high tone) or similar type the draw is about the same as a typical motorcycle road runner horn but a "trumpet" style car horn would be a problem. Have used the Fiamm or similar horns on bikes for years without an issue ...

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
I have one 138 Db Fiamm Freeway Blaster and the stock horn from my '04 Stratus.

The KLR horn is on the cage now. lol
The headlights dim a small amount but there's never been a popped fuse
nor any other issues. (Except the volume even scares me.)

I didn't use a relay. Just spliced in next to the wire ends to run a dual system.

LOUD HORNS SAVE LIVES !!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
We've had some bike come out of the crate with horns that don't work. We call it "they need to be birthed" Someone just taps on it till it works.

Here's the horn to get.

I have this Steble Nautalus on three of my bikes. I have literally scared attacking dogs right off their feet twice now. I made a woman cry one time after scaring her when she pulled out in front of me. They are LOUD!!
Use the existing horn wires to activate the relay, power wire from fused battery to relay then from relay to horn. Ground wire from horn to horn mounting bolt. Mount the horn as Fox Fader showes in his pic.
Regards....General JustJeff

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a cheap set of dual tone horns from HF installed. Comes with a relay kit and all. $9.99 and sounds like a big buick.

Messy picture, but one horn is in the stock location, the other is mounted low. I cut the horn bells off to make them fit. The terminal strip in the middle is fused off the battery for the primary horn power, and some of my gadgets.

It seems the Stebel compressor issues are intermittent, but I read too many reports of failures to justify putting one on my bike. I found these and figured I'd give them a try. Now that I have the wiring in place, I'll replace the HF horns with FIAMM dual tone freeway blasters if I need to.

·
Registered
195 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
I’ve developed an opinion…(insert your definition of an opinion here)…Over many years of touring, I now believe that the decibel level of a motorcycle horn isn’t as important as the sound type. While a good decibel level of 110 (car level) to 130 is still a good idea the best motorcycle horn is a horn that sounds like a car horn.

Everybody in the seat of their car or saddle of their motorcycle knows what a typical car horn sounds like and they seem to react more promptly to that sound whether or not they see where it’s coming from. Trigger your low decibel motorcycle peeper horn and they don’t react right away and then look around to see what that strange noise is. Producing equally weird noises on the streets with extreme decibel units would get the same response I'd bet. Something to think about perhaps.

I’ve used the Fiaam Low Tone and the Blazer Low Tone. I currently have a single Blazer Low Tone on my Versys1000. The single "low tone" for a single horn hookup is closer to a car sound. Both, at 130 decibels, are louder than the 110 car horns but seem to get the same, prompt reaction.

Webbikewold did a horn comparison that includes audible sound tests. You can listen to the Fiaam and the Stebil and a few others.

Motorcycle Horn Comparison Review - webBikeWorld

Having said all that I need to admit that I haven't done anything hornwise for my KLR in the couple months I've had it, but have taking a look at it on my plan.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
My .02. Back in the day, I bought a nautilus, then sold it. I have a decent generic horn that is about car loud. Maybe a little louder.

Here's my thinking. When I was a kid, I vividly remember driving with my Dad. Car in front of him pissed him off and he laid on the horn. This van had a LOUD horn. All of a sudden the car in front of us starts fishtailing. We passed and it was a terrified lady with two little kids. She could easily have lost control of the vehicle.

Loud is good. Too loud? Do you want to warn the other driver or scare them so bad they shit themselves? I think too loud is dangerous. Personally. Plus, with the crazy drivers out here, I'd be afraid to use it cause some idiot would follow me and run me off the road. And the temptation to blast somebody who pissed me off would be too great. :)

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
My take on horns in general,
If you have time enough to use a horn, you have time enough to use the brakes or the throttle!
And then you have 'Time' enough to use the One finger Salute!

Riding with your HIGH Beam ON, in the DayTime makes a Big Difference!

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
The woman I blew the horn at was pulling out into my lane from the righthand parking lane right in front of me. There was oncoming traffic. When I blew the horn she stopped immediately which allowed me to go through between her and the oncoming car. Though I WAS braking I would not have been able to stop in the distance available if she hadn't stopped when I blew the horn. Hitting the horn saved me from hitting her when I couldn't swerve, stop or accelerate out of trouble. It did startle her badly though she didn't really CRY as I joked about in my previous post. I'll tell you my two dog stories some other time....
GJJ

·
Registered
195 Posts
Riding with your HIGH Beam ON, in the DayTime makes a Big Difference!
Been doing this since the mid 80's on EVERY bike and I've NEVER stopped. I even tell my new riders to do this.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Been doing this since the mid 80's on EVERY bike and I've NEVER stopped. I even tell my new riders to do this.
Agree with both of ya. I don't ride much at night, so the high beam stays on.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just found a cheap one I got from China a year or so ago for free. It's suppose to be loud so I'm gonna try it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts