Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While I think I may want to get front nerf bars, as a start it looks like I can buy the ones for the back cheap enough and can install them myself.

saw this on ebay:

Wont let me post url so item number is 110660649530
2008 KLR 650 Side Utility Racks KLR650 BLACK

Are they all the same or would these do for the back in your opinion?

I figure being new any protection I can get for her would be good.

And while im at it, do I want to change the doo-hickey now with the bike being new?

Mine is a 2011

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Nerf Bars? Sounds like an awsome idea! Everyone goes and plays with various Nerf products while getting drunk. :49:

Oh wait, you mean crash bars? Luggage racks won't really do much for you and I've witnessed too many of the post 08 crash bars bend. Hell, even just falling over bent one guys bar so bad he couldn't turn his petcock anymore. Had to take a tow strap and tie it to my truck bumper to pull it far enough out to make it accessible again.
Now if your a pre 08 owner I have to say the best purchase I've ever made for my bike was an IMS tank. More protection than any crash bar I've seen. Bark busters are also a good farkle for the KLR since a lot of drops of the bike occure against the handle bars resulting in broken mirrors or levers.
However, money better spent IMHO is a bash plate, especially if you intend to go offroad. I went through two of the plastic guards before I finally decided they are worth the $$$. Now I don't know how I made it down the trail without one. :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
While I think I may want to get front nerf bars, as a start it looks like I can buy the ones for the back cheap enough and can install them myself.

saw this on ebay:

Wont let me post url so item number is 110660649530
2008 KLR 650 Side Utility Racks KLR650 BLACK

Are they all the same or would these do for the back in your opinion?

I figure being new any protection I can get for her would be good.

And while im at it, do I want to change the doo-hickey now with the bike being new?

Mine is a 2011

I have been looking at crash bars for my 08. There is some info on the thread I linked below. From what I’ve read and based on how they wrap the side panels, I like the HT’s the best so far.

http://www.klrforum.com/showthread.php?t=10206

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Ha Ha, no thanks.
No takers? I mean my 06 took a low speed low side last summer with the only damage being a slightly bent gear shifter. I think these high cost crash bars are really junk and hate to see anyone rely on them to protect their bike in a drop or lay down.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
No takers? I mean my 06 took a low speed low side last summer with the only damage being a slightly bent gear shifter. I think these high cost crash bars are really junk and hate to see anyone rely on them to protect their bike in a drop or lay down.
Not on the Gen2. If I eat it and can save any plastic it will save money. I agree to a certain extent on the Gen1's...the plastic can take a lot more abuse. But the hard plastic on the Gen2's is too damn expensive.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Not on the Gen2. If I eat it and can save any plastic it will save money. I agree to a certain extent on the Gen1's...the plastic can take a lot more abuse. But the hard plastic on the Gen2's is too damn expensive.
Someday someone will make many$$$$$ making an IMS tank that will work on the gen 2 KLR.:) I guess the greatest protection is to toss your body under the bike. lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
I wouldnt say that I rely on these bars to save my bike in a crash but they reduce the damage and dont cost very much compared to the cost of the plastic. Buildit - you have some cool video's on you page, thanks for posting!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Buildit - you have some cool video's on you page, thanks for posting!
Thanks :) I love the bikes and riding. It's all about getting the most smiles for the miles. :62:

·
Registered
146 Posts
More than just for looks

Please do a test for me, take your bike and forget to put the kick stand down. I wanna hear if those bars actually do something more than just look good. :)
How about hitting a car on an '04 with the HT Dakar guards installed?

Had a Lexus blow through a red light in a divided highway turn-around directly into my path less than 100ft in front of me, and then come to a complete stop 3/4 of the way into my lane when the yahoo finally realized I was there. (Fiam horn blasting and braking as hard as possible in the rain)

Traffic directly to my right prevented me from leaving my lane, and the median had an 8 inch curb that I would not be able to take at an angle.

I shot for the little bit of opening in my lane that was remaining, and caught the front fender of the car just ahead of the right front tire.

The HT crash bar took the brunt of the hit, which was at about 10-15mph (I would have been able to scrub off enough speed to miss the wreck if the car driver had accellerated instead of slamming on the brakes).

Ended up taking the entire front bumper cover and right headlamp assembly off of the car as I impacted.

I was able to keep the bike under control and upright and stopped just in front of the car.

The HT crash bar on the left side folded back far enough to indent the gas tank near the steering stem and the left side radiator shroud was shattered. No damage to the radiator or any other portion of the bike.

Between the HT bar and the 'stitch combat touring boots and Darien pants, no damage to me other than a slight bruising on my left calf.

I was able to ride the bike home, the Lexus needed a tow. Probably a good $2500 worth of damage to the Lexus, plus the ticket for failing to yield to a traffic control device and causing an accident.

Took a slate bar and leveraged the HT bar back into shape. Replaced the left side shroud. The tank ding doesn't really bother me. If I had replaced everything that was damaged, including the Dakar guard, the KLR would have taken less than $600.00 to repair.

So, while the HT Dakar guard is kind of a pain when performing cooling system service since you cannot remove the radiator cap with the left side bar in place, it actually does have the ability to perform a bit more function other than look good, in my opinion.

Had I been on my '02 in the same hit, my leg would have taken a much more serious impact, since on that motor I have the 'inside the shroud' guards that HT had available back then.

·
Registered
689 Posts
FWIW, I put SW motech crashbars on with sw skid plate, HT Tetons, barkbusters with Kioko cruise, SW centerstand,etc. I found everrything easy to attach with some help from a friend who can wrench well-I decided to weld a piece on the centerstand to make it easier to work. You will not be dissapointed w/Happy trails stuff either..

·
Registered
689 Posts
Buildit--
I,ve had lowsides(chain thrown off by rock)on the DL and the bars saved my plastic,But the highside in Alaska--you're right: plastic,mirrors,windshield,etc had to be replaced-( 35mph in gravel) I wear ATGATT-just broke a small bone in my hand.Some zip ties and bumper washers helped me ride back home.

·
Banned
277 Posts
Not to bump up too old of a thread, but I'm interested in getting a set for my bike - but here's the odd catch:

This is my first bike, and as an adult I'm concerned about dropping it as I learn to ride this spring. The opposite of a die-hard off-roader. I'm thinking of it as "insurance".

I've only seen a set for $289 on a site called happy-trails, which seems pricey for a few bent bars...
Welds aren't that expensive... and presumably these guys know what a "fixture" is (right? right? ugh). ;)

Are there other options out there?

·
Registered
489 Posts
I got a set of the Happy Trails bars and plate for my '09. I have dropped it on solid rock at low speed coasting backwards(don't ask) and all that happened was a chip in the powder coat. I haven't used any of the competitors stuff, so I can't speak to their virtues. I figure if I drop the bike twice and save that fairing, then they have paid for themselves and they do give handy locations for mounting various things. The highway pegs seem to be kind of a waste of time though.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Not to bump up too old of a thread, but I'm interested in getting a set for my bike - but here's the odd catch:

This is my first bike, and as an adult I'm concerned about dropping it as I learn to ride this spring. The opposite of a die-hard off-roader. I'm thinking of it as "insurance".

I've only seen a set for $289 on a site called happy-trails, which seems pricey for a few bent bars...
Welds aren't that expensive... and presumably these guys know what a "fixture" is (right? right? ugh). ;)

Are there other options out there?
Check the crash bars and luggage racks at TwistedThrottle. Search by "what fits my bike " on their site. I have the SW Motec crash bars on my 2011 and laid it down at highway speed with no damage to the delicate bike and just some paint scuffing and roadrash to the bars.
regards....justjeff

1 - 17 of 17 Posts