Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, another KLR n00b here...

I just ordered a set of Tusk panniers and the mounting rack kits for my new (to me) '09 KLR. I watched the install video on Rocky Mountain ATV and it seems pretty straightforward, but it's never as easy as it looks with me.

Has anyone installed these panniers, and do you have any tips? Looks like the tricky part is getting them lined up and drilled.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
I can't directly answer but I believe most owners like to raise
and tilt the boxes for passenger footpeg clearance. The tilt is to match
the angle of the seat so it looks like they belong there.

An owner/ mounter will be along soon to tell you
the right way and any quick tips to help ya along.

Cheap

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
I can't directly answer but I believe most owners like to raise
and tilt the boxes for passenger footpeg clearance. The tilt is to match
the angle of the seat so it looks like they belong there.

An owner/ mounter will be along soon to tell you
the right way and any quick tips to help ya along.

Cheap
Yup, definitely go with the tilt if you can! I mounted my panniers level with the bike upright. Caused me to have nearly zero room for passengers feet, even with the boxes as far back as I could mount them. Also caught my foot on the corner of the pannier when climbing on and off the bike, the tilt would have fixed that. I'll have to see if I can find a pic of mine with the level boxes...

Found a pic! Kind of a crappy one, doesn't really show the panniers all that well :(. They actually look tilted up at the front, but they are actually level when the bike is level (like on the workstand). Really wish I had angled them to match the seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, definitely go with the tilt if you can! I mounted my panniers level with the bike upright. Caused me to have nearly zero room for passengers feet, even with the boxes as far back as I could mount them. Also caught my foot on the corner of the pannier when climbing on and off the bike, the tilt would have fixed that. I'll have to see if I can find a pic of mine with the level boxes...

Found a pic! Kind of a crappy one, doesn't really show the panniers all that well :(. They actually look tilted up at the front, but they are actually level when the bike is level (like on the workstand). Really wish I had angled them to match the seat.
Thanks. Will do...

I got the pannier racks installed last night. I will be working on mounting the boxes over the weekend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts