Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that Honda is expected to reveal the resurrected Transalp at the upcoming EICMA show in November.

It and the Suzuki V-Strom replacement have piqued my interest...

But, both are going to be 5-figure bikes when available, and with how things have been going, will likely be impossible to find for the first year.

· Registered
566 Posts
KLR is still King but, I'm stubborn and die hard :p

· Registered
89 Posts
KLR is still King but, I'm stubborn and die hard :p
Of the under $10k bikes.
There is a lot of Eye candy out there but as almost everyone comments, they get heavier and more complex and of course more $$$.
For me it's the Aprilia Tuareg 660 but that would be a replacement to the KLR. I've started to think about something as a compliment to my KLR. A strictly road bike, two up capable and used. Lots of choices

· Registered
566 Posts
What's with all these newer "adventure" bikes having such low hanging exhaust mufflers? Seems counter productive but, not if it's a "mall crawler". 🤣

Reactions: sstiing and DNO

· Registered
2022 KLR650
1,220 Posts
Yup, the Taureg 660 is the bees knees.
Might get another chance to ride one this weekend!

· Registered
2022 KLR650
1,220 Posts
Nothing really; most manufacturers are happy to keep making new 500lb, 100hp twin cyl adventure bikes with poor offroad ergos, a plethora of expensive electronic nannies and lots of expensive bodywork. If something was to happen to my KLR's, I'd probably just buy a KTM690R or better yet, a Hustky 701LR

Dave
Very true.
I’ve ridden the KTM 690 many times. Was the worst bike I’ve ever ridden in every way, aside from the power. :LOL:

· Registered
566 Posts
What's the opinion on the DesertX?

· Registered
90 Posts
Triumph is releasing a new bike. A triple would be more fun than p-twin. I would go with a modded dualsport if I were to change or add. Klr is fine for now. And the gas tank shape, ergos and muffler hanging off the side on these new adv machines kills the deal for me. The Aprilia seems to have made the best effort. Triumph might have the answer to the Aprilia.

· Registered
535 Posts
What's the opinion on the DesertX?
The Tuareg 660 is better. It's a lot better if you ride off road.

The Ducati is a porker at nearly 500 lbs. wet. Great looking bike though! But for $17k.....let's just say the KTM 890 Adventure R has nothing to worry about. Having said that, the Desert X is better than the Multi-strada as far as off road focused adventure bikes go. I think once the Ducati fan boys get their copy, the better performing alternatives will resume their sales lead, and the Desert X will become the next Desert Sled as far as niche marketing goes. In this company, off road performance rules the day.

· Registered
114 Posts
Food for thought: Suzuki's new parallel twin engine should lower overall weight on their new vstrom, AND the CoG should be lower too making the bike feel lighter. I would be willing to bet the weight will be closer to the klr than some may think for the 650 model, but with less clearance/travel and probably at least 20hp more.

Not for crazy offroad stuff, but probably an exciting machine. If I could afford one, I would probably buy one after 2-3 yrs after its' released so they have time to work out the kinks.

· Registered
535 Posts
Food for thought: Suzuki's new parallel twin engine should lower overall weight on their new vstrom, AND the CoG should be lower too making the bike feel lighter. I would be willing to bet the weight will be closer to the klr than some may think for the 650 model, but with less clearance/travel and probably at least 20hp more.
The current 650 Vtwin already makes mid to high 60's rwhp. Almost twice the power of the KLR650. If the upcoming model is indeed 700cc, I would expect that motor to at least be in the low 70's rwhp.

· Premium Member
4,837 Posts
Very true.
I’ve ridden the KTM 690 many times. Was the worst bike I’ve ever ridden in every way, aside from the power. :LOL:
I also have lots of seat time on the 690........power is good, weight is good, suspension and brakes are good. Ergos are weird; tank capacity sucks and it doesn't have the longevity and ease of repair a KLR has. ......but my KLR's have taken a butt load of mods to get within spitting distance of a 690's offroad capabilities. Not sure I have the energy to do it all again.

Dave

· Registered
2022 KLR650
1,220 Posts
This thread is making me want the Taureg 660 REAL BAD! Man that bike was a sweet ride. Power, comfort, suspension, and ergonomics were all spot on. Big Rock Moto gave it a huge thumbs up when he rode it in southern CA a couple months ago. He said it out-performed the Norden & Tenere combined.

Reactions: OCL

· Registered
90 Posts
660 vs 550 rxv...one made 70hp and well under 300lbs wet. Just more mucked down bikes. If the 660 has ease of use and longevity..maybe it has something at almost 200lbs more weight and less hp.

· Registered
566 Posts
Replacement parts availability should be factored into the equation. The T7 would be a good choice due to the amount of Yamaha dealers across the country, although not nearly as "hipster" compared to some of the other bikes from across the opposite pond.

Biggest takeaway for me is that a slightly modded KLR is still king and gets my vote anyday, twice on Sunday. Plus I can still afford to go "use it" rather than "look" at it.

Motorcycles are like people in that there's a seat for every a$$ 🤣 or is it a$$ for every seat :unsure:

Best wishes and remember, Ride hard cuz life is short.

· Registered
566 Posts
Reactions: KBear

· Registered
52 Posts
I don't know if "excited" would be the right term, but I am interested to see if the rumored Royal Enfield 650(+?) Himalayan will come to reality. If RE builds basically a KLR with an air/oil cooled vertical twin, six speed wide ratio trans., easy maintenance (no valve shims), minimal plastic, minimal electronics, and at a price point below a new KLR, I could become excited. As it is said "to each his own".

1 - 20 of 53 Posts