Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

· Premium Member
12,048 Posts
As an example: the new HD Pan America has already had multiple reports of broken engine cases from taking a hard landing
Can you post links or pics of the HD Pan Am failures?

Could the engine case breakages be from landing the oil sumps on a rock that was too tall, ground clearance totally consumed by too much 'flight time' and simply not enough space between skid-plate and engine?

Our own KLR engines are 'set-down' between the lower frame rails enough that the oem oil drain plug & one engine case assembly bolt protrude below the frame rails. With the oem plastic skid-plate & even several brands of aluminum skid-plates, rock damage still occurs. I install stiff rubber cushions between KLR frame rails & aluminum skid-plates for added protection space.

I find it kinda' hard to believe that the HD Pan Am engine mounts broke because of being a stressed member of the frame. But I would rather have frame rails/skid rails down there supporting a skid-plate.

· Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR 650 Gen 3
156 Posts
As an example: the new HD Pan America has already had multiple reports of broken engine cases from taking a hard landing because when the frame is 'stressed' the load is transfered into the 'stress member' IE engine. The T660 is similar in design.

Furthermore, on a bike like the KLR the 'stresses' are transfered into the 'frame' and distributed around the engine. Short answer but, hopefully is sufficient.
I think that HD's issues with their engine/frame are just that, HD's issues. My F650GS has the engine as part of its frame, and I have traversed the worst BLM and Forest Service roads, even shearing/snapping a rear frame bolt. People have taken the Dakar version of this bike around the world. I'll search for incidents of this sort of failure from other bikes and see if that's a common issue with all bikes built like that or just HD. Me personally, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. As an aside, my GF had a TU250X and its engine was also part of the frame, but it's a street bike.

Regards, Jim.

· Registered
KLR 2018 and BMW 1150rs
99 Posts
Well it would be but a stock Gen1 only weighs 400lbs wet, full tank so while I've removed 20-25lbs, I've added some back on with a proper skid plate, 320mm rotor/caliper/adaptor, real hand guards, etc. The big ticket items are the battery (9 lbs) and the silencer (5-7lbs); after that, it's a bunch of little things that add up to 5-10 lbs.....passenger pegs and brackets, rear inner fender and licence plate braket/light, misc. bits like the upper chain guard, sidestand safety switch and cable, snorkle and cover, etc. etc.

Dave
thanks. Makes sense.

· Registered
77 Posts
Since the extent of my dirt riding consists of gravel roads in the country, I am replacing my KLR with a new 2023 Super Tenere. Yes it is a big heavy beast, but like I said, I am now too old to muscle any size bike through the woods and this bike will cruise the dirt roads and also let me comfortably puts thousands of highway miles on too. My biggest obstacle is actually FINDING one in the state. Yamaha has really reduced production of most everything other than dirt bikes.
My yamaha dealer has a 2022 Bolt R spec and PW 50s and that is all I have seen there in the last year I think. No Teneres, I did see on 650Vstrom, but that is it. They do have KLRs

· Registered
14 Posts
As an example: the new HD Pan America has already had multiple reports of broken engine cases from taking a hard landing because when the frame is 'stressed' the load is transfered into the 'stress member' IE engine. The T660 is similar in design.

Furthermore, on a bike like the KLR the 'stresses' are transfered into the 'frame' and distributed around the engine. Short answer but, hopefully is sufficient.

Why are people "landing" adventure touring bikes?

These aren't dual sports, MX bikes or dirt bikes. People forget that there is supposed to be a 'T' in ADV. Take that into consideration and suddenly there's nothing inherently wrong with 500lb bikes.

· Registered
2 Posts
Bought a V-Strom 1000 for long trips and it does gravel and mild trails just fine. Put 50/50 tyres with suspension raised. Love the power and torque!!
However will never sell my KLR!! I can ride there and back, in confidence and not have a car and trailer ready to fetch me....like some of my friends who have expensive bikes with a lot of orange... 🤣🤣

· Registered
47 Posts
Nothing really; most manufacturers are happy to keep making new 500lb, 100hp twin cyl adventure bikes with poor offroad ergos, a plethora of expensive electronic nannies and lots of expensive bodywork. If something was to happen to my KLR's, I'd probably just buy a KTM690R or better yet, a Husky 701LR

Dave
Completely agree. I've been down that road and came back to the simplicity of ruggedness of a KLR. I've been a "one bike" guy for two seasons now. I'm seriously considering adding a used V-strom as a designated long distance more road miles bike. IF I were to add another true dual sport bike to the fleet it would be a Yamaha WR 250. Dont need all that horsepower and my KLR is as heavy as I care to wrestle with.

· Registered
2022 KLR650
1,220 Posts
Thanks
Completely agree. I've been down that road and came back to the simplicity of ruggedness of a KLR. I've been a "one bike" guy for two seasons now. I'm seriously considering adding a used V-strom as a designated long distance more road miles bike. IF I were to add another true dual sport bike to the fleet it would be a Yamaha WR 250. Dont need all that horsepower and my KLR is as heavy as I care to wrestle with.
I always thought a farkled out klr and a drz would be the best combination in the garage.
The klr will last forever, go anywhere, and will do long stents well…so no need for another one of them. Stick the drz in the back of the truck when going on a camping trip, or use it on severe off-road trail riding. The drz is light on its feet & easy to load up in truck bed.
IMO, anything less than a 400cc dual sport is useless.

· Registered
77 Posts
I keep looking at all those sexy electronics and adjustable suspension, but I worry about the stuff breaking.

Read an article about an older BMW R1150RT that the ABS module went out on. Cost him $5000 to get it replaced by the dealer. The bike was probably worth $5000. Was told the breaks are servo controlled so it was that or scrap the bike.

The KLR, I just have to worry about the cable breaking or the pads wearing out. KLR is the perfect apocalypse bike Spend ;that extra $10,000 on farkles and a big bore kit.

· Registered
566 Posts
Grazie fantastico ❤

41 - 53 of 53 Posts