Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

· Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title asks it all. What other bike or bikes do you run with? I have a 2021 Ural sidecar rig. It’s unique enough in its own right. But every time my mind wonders I keep getting stuck on “But my KLR already does that.” Does it do it as well? Probably not, but it does it good enough - and in real comfort - that I’m always nah. I could see a heavy touring bike, like a wing or a big GS, or a small dual sport which is admittedly a lot easier off-road. Just wondering how others round out the stable.

· Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR 650 Gen 3
211 Posts
2006 BMW F650GS. 16 years old and 82K miles. Bought the KLR to replace it but it is still in the garage and am still running errands with it. I bought the KLR to take a trip to Monument Valley Utah here in June.

· Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange
1,410 Posts
Yamaha 900 Tracer GT Quick, quite light for a touring bike, but is also great for week long long distance trips like to Yellowstone.

View attachment 34768
How are the ergonomics? Do you sit straight up similar to the klr? Do you think a yall rider would fit? Asking for a friend... ha. I'm 6'4"
I had many KTM dirtbikes for years to supplement my adventure bike but I'm solo KLR atm.

· Administrator
4,622 Posts
All my second bikes are gone. Last I sold was a 2006 Concours. Still miss that bike on occasion. My son moved away and left this at my place. Needs some work to get it running but I just haven’t been motivated enough to do it.

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle frame

· Administrator
4,622 Posts
kurtfriedrich said:
Yamaha 900 Tracer GT Quick, quite light for a touring bike, but is also great for week long long distance trips like to Yellowstone.
How are the ergonomics? Do you sit straight up similar to the klr? Do you think a yall rider would fit? Asking for a friend... ha. I'm 6'4"
I had many KTM dirtbikes for years to supplement my adventure bike but I'm solo KLR atm.
I have the same question. Was kinda giving these a look.

· Registered
134 Posts
The Tracer 900 GT is not a sit up straight bike like a klr, its about 1/3 lean over as compared to a sport bike as 3/3 leaned over. I think its best for long days as you end up with weight on your feet, your hands, and your butt rather than all on your butt. Much better on my back then a straight up like a Harley.

· Registered
9 Posts
2012 BMW K1600GTL touring rig and 2007 Honda CRF250X for the dirt. I'm really digging my 2022 KLR. Just a fun bike that's not in a rush and wants to go explore any side road/trail and see what's up there. I'm just getting my feet wet (or dusty) on trails with this thing, but so far, so good.

· Registered
2022 KLR650
1,411 Posts
For street legal adventure riding, nope. Don’t feel the need to own another dual sport/adventure bike when I can do just about everything on my gen 3.
400mi trip? No problem. Technical off-road trails up in the hills? No problem. Hop on that sucker and go. I like things simple.

For the local OHV parks, I got a fully built Honda CR250 for myself, a Yamaha TTR125 for the wife, and a teeny tiny 50cc dirtbike (with training wheels) for my son who’s not even old enough to ride it yet :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Dread

· Registered
2022 KLR650
1,411 Posts
Reactions: Dread and DenimDan

· Registered
117 Posts
The KLR is my second bike. The primary is my 2012 Goldwing. Heading to TX from UT next week on a two week trip on the wing. The KLR is for running around and I take it with me in my Toy Hauler camper. I ride it around to see the sights and leave the truck in the campground.

· Registered
160 Posts
I’m on my thIrd BMW GS and my first KLR, which replaced a Vespa.
I like having a good comfortable tourer and a project rescue bike.
I’ve had Many, many bikes but only ever bought another GS and I’ve got my eye on a MT-01, which will also be my third…if I manage to find the right one.

· Registered
58 Posts
Yep, another KLR! 😅 my 2000 is my 47th motorcycle and I've had up to nine at a time; everthing from a Z50 to KTM300 and a CM450 to a ZX6R.....even a full dresser Harley touring bike. The KLR isn't even close to being the best at any particular thing but it is my favorite.
Well put!

I've got various 450 MX and Off-Road bikes...KTM 450SX-F, CRF450X/RL, KX450SR...and other trials bikes, trail bikes, smokers and even a Team Green built KX500...yet, my KLRs are bikes that make me think, "This is too much fun!"

A few weeks ago, we finished up the 2022 Rip to Cabo/got home on May 22nd. My 1st ride since then was a 90 mile loop thru Whiskeytown National Recreation Area/Shasta National Forest today on the KLR and it was A BLAST!

On the Rip I ride a wonderfully prepared JCR CRF450X. It is AMAZING in the heat, rocks, sand, rocks, cactus, rocks, baked dirt roads, rocks, wheelies on the beach, rocks...and it even does pretty darn well in the rocks. Did I mention there are a few rocks in Baja?
🤣
Anyway...weeks after all that...WHICH I LOVE FOR!...I finally got one of the KLRs out and went for a ride...today. 1st ride with all the new goodies...
Galfer Lines and Pads (Rotors avail soon). Brakes are more progressive and have firmer "bite" when I grab a handful.
Kenda Big Block Knobbies (150/70 rear looks serious/works serious!)
Eagle Mike's DooHickey
Thermo-Bob with gage
Freshly packer Yosh slip-on (Been running the Yosh on both bikes for a-while: amazing gains/not too loud)
Dyno-Jet Tuner (Makes the bike a bit stronger as it pulls from the bottom-mid-range on thru the revs to the top)

No matter what mods. No matter how tapped out the stock suspension gets...

THE BIKE IS AMAZING...especially in the gnarly stuff that I have NO BUSINESS taking it thru!

The New KLR is my candidate for Best Universal Japanese Motorcycle...EVER.

Can you tell I really like these bikes?

Manny

1 - 20 of 92 Posts