Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
I still own my 1974 Z-1 900. Hasn't turned a tire since autumn of 1995. 72,000+ miles on its meter.
I still ride my 1989 KX500-E1, rode it twice last week!!

My wife owns a '73 G4TR & a '80 KZ550 LTD.
Now I don't feel so bad for owning a bunch of old motors. If me liking the looks of older bikes versa the crop of new ones makes me old fashioned well I guess that's the way it will be. I was at Cycle Gear on Sunday and one of the young men behind the counter flipped out over my '02 ZX9R. Had to come out and take pictures and wanted to know all about it (it's like taking pictures of a dinosaur - Jurassic Park come to life). His Kawasaki Z900 was in the parking lot. I made the mistake of telling him I didn't much care for naked bike since they look like insects to me before I knew that was his Z900 - oops. He took it as all good.

I have a lot of people tell me how much they like the looks and color of the ZX9R. A young man told me he really likes my "Choose Life don't touch my bike" brake reservoir sock. It's a fun motor to be around. I've received several thumbs up while riding.

Just got back from going to Teriyaki Madness for lunch on the Yamaha XV920 Virago. That motor is like riding a la-z-boy lounge chair. Way too much fun. Goin' to Cycle Gear's Tuesday night ride night tonight on the KLR. Next time I'll go on the Transalp.

• Love
Reactions: pdwestman

·
Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange
1,119 Posts
I honestly don't know if my '22 KLR is my second or first bike. I also have this:
Untitled by rogue_biker, on Flickr

It's wonderful on the highway. Super smooth. Plenty of power. Great canyon carver. Decent off road. But every time I go for a ride I've been wanting to take the KLR. KLR is WAY BETTER off road. More comfortable too. Feels much lighter because it is. So the VStrom sits. I still like her though. But not sure what to do with it now.
You should probably sell this bike to me for 5k. I'll fly out Friday and ride it home. Heck I'll even throw in a 12 pack of your favorite brew. She's a good looking gal. I'd need a taller seat but I'd make it work.
Wait, is this a 650? Scratch that. I was thinking 1050. Now I see your dilemma.

·
Premium Member
4,694 Posts

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·

·
Registered
742 Posts
2015 Honda VFR800f and 2015 Triumph America, together with my KLR I have most bases covered, my wife hopes so anyway.
I'm really liken that VFR800f! Like those T-Rex frame sliders as well. Been wanting a pair for my VFR800.

Reactions: PhilW

·
Registered
742 Posts
Honda Xr250
Kawasaki Zx6R
Cool. Thought I might be the only one on a KLR forum that rides a Ninja. 😎👍 To be totally transparent here. I never thought I would ever own a Ninja in my lifetime, but here I am with a ZX9R and I can honestly say I really really enjoy the comfort and the ride of the 9R. I can also say I was slightly sceptical at first but was pleasantly surprised how great the Ninja really is.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Cool. Thought I might be the only one on a KLR forum that rides a Ninja. 😎👍 To be totally transparent here. I never thought I would ever own a Ninja in my lifetime, but here I am with a ZX9R and I can honestly say I really really enjoy the comfort and the ride of the 9R. I can also say I was slightly sceptical at first but was pleasantly surprised how great the Ninja really is.
Ha ha!! bikes are bikes no matter if they are for dirt or track, I had many bikes in my life and the important thing is to know how to enjoy each one in its specific place.
I also had a 1986 Ninja 900 shortly after the release of Top Gun, I'm not Tom but at that time (1988) many girls happily climbed into the backseat ;) .

·
Registered
742 Posts
Ha ha!! bikes are bikes no matter if they are for dirt or track, I had many bikes in my life and the important thing is to know how to enjoy each one in its specific place.
I also had a 1986 Ninja 900 shortly after the release of Top Gun, I'm not Tom but at that time (1988) many girls happily climbed into the backseat ;) .
I too have owned many motors in the time I've been here on this planet. From CT70s to FZR1000s, YZ400 to a FZ750 and a XJ750 Maxim. Raced some and pretended to race others and they all have there respective place, time and respect. I've tried to ride as many motors as humanly possible as well from tote goats to KTM 1290 Super Adventures it never mattered to me as long as it had two wheels. If there wasn't a rider on it I was asking if I could spin the motor. My thoughts have always been, and will always be, if it has two wheels it's a friend of mine. 😎👍

·
Registered
66 Posts
KTM 390 Duke (aka "baby duke)
Honda NC700X (aka "silver surfer)
Honda Monkey, most recent bike, this has already become my "any excuse" to ride mini moto if around town..just back from pizza joint, took the monkey, even though pretty hot today
HD XR1200X (I broke the turn signal switch, on the stand, awaiting repairs)
Kawa z900Rs cafe (aka "wowie) - I will never see the limits of this one..it goes fast real quickly..but some days, that is fun..within reason..of course
Kawa KLX250SF (my first Kawasaki, on the rack and awaiting my attention..it sat even longer than the KLR but now with all the KLR mods, carb maint, re jetting...I look at it think, this will be easy (famous last words)..am now fighting with myself..want the Bill Blue 351 cylinder kit..in a big way..ahah)
Yamaha SR 500..I drove to TX and hauled it home..its in VG to excellent condition, my plans are either street tracker or cafe conversion..but it is all original so...if I did I would make it where nothing is but bolt on and can be restored to OEM..it runs but needs a clutch replacement..so, dunno yet..
a few others awaiting some project or another one being a 70 or 71 BMW not all original but all there..way long term project bike...sigh...

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

mine is same model same paint, this is not it..I really want to make it look like a Manx or something like that..in this vein

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

I think this one is tastefully done...cept the tail light..for sure the spoke rims but man are they $$$$

I was going to get the KLX300 this year but ended up with the Monkey...

stay safe out there, have fun, if it ain't fun I ain't doing it

·
Registered
21 Posts
On my third KLR- an 07 I picked up with 1035 miles on it. Sold my BMW GS 1200 and CRF 250L after deciding it was time to settle down to one bike and see how it goes. Cool to see what other KLR ers have in their stables. Just goes to show what a unique tribe we are! The 07 is my third KLR and my 21st motorcycle. I started riding in 1966 on a yamaha "60" cc, at the age of 10. I've been an adventure rider since before it was given a name. I like riding in rough remote places and camping off my bike. For me, the old gen 1 KLR, after an embarrassing amount of money and mods is my perfect bike and I hope Im taking it for a ride on my 70th birthday!

·
Registered
742 Posts
KBear, you really do Need a 12-step program. ;)
PeteK, I think ymracing and KLRider should join me in that 12-step program, right?

"Good evening everyone, nice to be here, my name is KBear and I have a motorcycle problem". 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: PeteK and pdwestman

·
Registered
66 Posts
Dread, that is one sweet looking VFR, wow, I can tell she has gotten the love. Nice.

Revillee, super nice V Strom, also showing much love. very clean if recent pic. How many miles on her?

I ride with some "Strom Troopers" often, they have the so called Wee stroms... 650s...and they will just walk away from the KLR...on the asphalt...also the NC700 another mid torque bike...slow revver upper..
Both love their stroms...yours looks like an exceptional example...very nice indeed, you are selling her?
I came within a gnat's *** of getting the street version of the strom..NV is it? Saw a great one on cycle trader...so many bikes so little time right?

My only "SAZOOK" ever owned was my first bike beyond my mini trail z50...71 or 72...Suzuki TS125 Duster...which while had all the lights ..got "field stripped" of those pretty fast. As in, busted off crashing...so it became a dirt bike..so to speak...

it looked like this one found on www...same color...man I loved that darn thing...it got abused by my learning curve but never let me down...wheelie practice...I wanted to BE Doug Domokos and or Malcom Smith..and in my 14 yo brain..I was..cept..was not in reality...so she took some hits on the wheelie practice crashes and jumping...and power sliding and high siding and low siding ahahha

Fuel tank Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle brake

·
Registered
66 Posts
KBear,
Too funny!
I can neither confirm nor deny that statement!

I suppose I am what we used to call..."ate up" with bikes, bike stuff, bike books, magazines (one of the worst days of my life when they stopped printing motorcycle rags, sniff), bike gear, movies, t shirts, pictures..any and all...something each day of my life will be about a motorcycle. or MC related...usually...most of the time... ;)

My only consolation, I know others have the "bug", sickness, addiction or whatever and I am not alone.

That makes me feel good ahaha.

Ride safe my friend

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a 2003 KLR and and a 2013 DL650 Adventure. I like them both, but the KLR suits me better both ergonomically and for the type of riding I like to do. This year we bought a cheap Fat-tired EBike for me and a fancy ETrike for my wife (which I've been riding more than her) both of which have been a lot of fun to ride around town and will be a lot easier to load into a truck or trailer when we go down that road next year. Now retired in my 60's, I suspect I'll sell the DL650 in a couple years to be replaced by something electric and smaller. (Maybe something the like the Zero FX?)
I can't imagine ever selling the KLR as nobody, including Kawasaki, has released a suitable replacement to the Gen 1!

41 - 60 of 92 Posts