Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the KLR scene. Wondering if anyone is from Iowa. Looking for places to ride. I'm in the Des Moines Area. Just bought a 2006, red with 886 miles. Looking forward to riding after the cold weather. I've always had goldwings in the past, so this is a complete change of pace.

Going through my 2nd childhood, might be too old for this, (45) we'll see.

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Welcome to the forum tcbb32!

You may want to check out the Midwest forum, I think paper is putting together a ride when it's not -32.

Take care, and ride safe!

MB4

·
Registered
160 Posts
Welcome

I have a red 06 as well........

At 45 your not even close to your second childhood..... I am going to be 54 in two weeks and have just agreed to join an Ice Breadker ride in North Western Ontario. First of May we will be spending 4 or 5 days on the gravel roads, some of which aren't on maps yet. Will probabaly still run into snow and some lakes will still be frozen. Got to love it.

Enjoy your KLR.... I can tell you the Gold Wing will never go were you can now!!!!!!

BackRoader

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello

Hey tcbb, Story City, Ia here. Just north of Ames. I'm 42 nebee also. I am acussed of being in a mid life crisis. I told my wife the KLR is way cheaper than chicks and that I need another woman as much as I need another hole in my A**.

KiLleR green 06 926 miles. Have you been out in the cold yet. I could not keep walking past it thinking how fast is it. I have put on 65 miles in the thirties.

Would love to ride with some other owners. A guy or two from work are thinking about buying also.

Later,

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys!!

Hey Iowarider. I have a buddy in Ankeny with an 07 as well. Would like to hook up and do some riding. Apparently there is a atv park near my home town, Bussey. About 1hr, 15 min. drive from Des Moines. Old strip pits, Bluff Creek. www.atvaonline.com/Ride/BluffCreek_IA.asp Rough camping anywhere if you want to make it a 2 day trip. I don't know of any other off road places near here or near you. Any ideas?

My buddy says there is a group organizing a 2 day trip this spring. Apparently going to Missouri and back.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have been to bussey quit a few times. I used to ride dirt bikes down there. I might have to take a ride down sometime.

Later,

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How is the park in Bussey? Just took the bike out. Had to top off the tank, lol. 32 degrees. Cold ride, but good.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
What!! You gotta problem with Gold Wings??:)

(It's OK to have both)

I don't get much further west on mine than Iowa City, but I do ride the Iowa side of the Mississippi several times a summer..

Here's a few photos of what's available in that area..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some great photos there. I have in-laws about a half hour away from the quad cities. Maybe you could let me know when you planning to be in the area. I also pitch horseshoes, we have several tourney's over that way. I'm hoping to take the bike to at least one. Clinton, IA City and Dubuque. Several in Cedar Rapids.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nice shots

I love that shot of the old building without a roof.

I love even more that back tire there Paper. What kind is that "Tiger Paw" looking hunk of rubber you had there (rear), and also the size? I have never ran oversized tires on my KLR before, but interested in trying one at least on the rear sometime in the furture.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I love that shot of the old building without a roof.

I love even more that back tire there Paper. What kind is that "Tiger Paw" looking hunk of rubber you had there (rear), and also the size? I have never ran oversized tires on my KLR before, but interested in trying one at least on the rear sometime in the furture.
I "found" that old house while wandering around on gravel roads. It's on a road between Harper's Ferry and Lansing, IA..

The tires are Maxxis 6006 and are stock size, actually.. I was looking for something fairly agressive.. They're a decent 50/50 tire, but they don't wear all that great and they're pretty squirrely on the pavement. I thought I'd give them a shot, and I don't think I'll get them again. They dig nicely on gravel, though..:)

Here's the tire up close.. It's a 130/90-17..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for the info, I want try them then. I plan on getting some spare wheels so that I can quick change out for a run to the hills. I really liked the looks of those in the picture. So far, it looks like I might as well try those Dunlop 606's out. This guy I rode with up near the "Tail of the Dragon" area in Suchs Georiga, had a set of the 606's and he was "driving it like he stole it" though the turns on pavement even. He said they hooked well in the dirt to.

·
Registered
61 Posts
finaly another iowan

howdy my pc died in dec just got around to get a new one feel like a new guy myself.
not that far away im down by colfax in jasper co.
i quite riding when it dropped below 35 ( i know im a sissy ) but couldnt keep my hands warm.
dying to get out though buryed in 2ft of snow right now.
well have to get togeter if it ever thaws out .
ive got a green 08 thats really lonley.:16a:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds great. I'm trying to find other riders around the area. Got another buddy in Ankeny with an 07.
I use to work in Colfax, Webb Agency. Most everyone around knows Phil I think. I have spent alot of time in your neck of the woods, working and playing. Grew up in Bussey. Colfax, Monroe and PC were all in our conference when I was back in school.
Can't wait to get out as well. Maybe we can plan a trip to the park in Bussey as soon as it warms up. Grew up on a farm about 5-6 miles from that park. The farm is for sale, but not sold. Hoping to reexplore the old farm. Haven't been in the back 40 for 25 years. Planning on stoping by the farm on the way sometime this spring.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lets start planning a trip. I'm self employed so I can basically go whenever. If we decide to go to Bussey, I've heard its pretty busy during the weekends. Doesn't really matter to me weekend or not. I'm certainly up to going anywhere else as well. Let me know what days are best for you guys. I've also heard from a client that there is a place near Indianola. Don't know where that is though. Would love to take a 3 or 4 day weekend and go up and down the Mississippi. Looks like paper found some nice places to ride.

·
Registered
61 Posts
cool ive been looking for people to ride with, my cousins got a shadow but doesnt like to get off the pavment go figure. hurry up spring.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts