Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After years of lusting after one, I am the proud new owner of a 2009 KLR and I am excited to get on the road on my new toy. My bike came with a lot of the mods that I had planned already done and the prior owner took great care of it so I am starting off at a great spot. There is one problem though, the prior owner was 5' 4" and I am 6' 4". He lowered the suspension and added a seat concepts seat that together drops the ride hight quite a bit. One of the reasons that I have always been drawn towards a KLR was the height and now I want to try and get it back up to at least stock. He gave me a pair of suspension links that he thought might be the stock ones but I am pretty sure they are not.

Does anyone recognize these? I don't think I have ever seen curved suspension links on a KLR, but I could be wrong. I am half inclined to try them out, but I don't even know which way to orient them with that curve. Any advice?
Also, I know that people commonly complain about the hard stock seat, but how much worse is it fron the seat concepts one that I have in terms of stiffness? Should I trade my seat for a stock one to gain the ride height and eliminate the split-level style, or would that be like swapping a sofa for a milk crate? Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
No those are not stock KLR. I will take pic for you. Yes you can go stock on the seat nah but it's not very comfortable I use a sergeant with a lower drop but you could get no drop which would help u
20201110_080301_HDR.jpg
20201110_080333_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks maverick9611!
I will look into those stock links and may even take a look at a pair of raising links (Eagle Mike's or KronoParts are both mentioned on the site a fair amount). If I am going to pay for them, I might as well bump it up a notch and maybe offset the drop in the seat.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
At 6' 4" (how much do you weigh?) I'll suggest that you should contact Eagle Mike for Rising Links for your Gen 2 and possibly even inquire about using EM Gen1 Rising Links on your Gen 2. Which would be even taller.

As to seat, The 08-14 Gen 2 seat is stiffer foam but same height and shape as the 87-07 Gen 1 seats.
The Gen 2 2014.5 (&up) New Edition seat, front 1/3rd is same shape, firmness & height as early Gen 2 but rear 2/3rds is widened like a Corbin or Sargeant full height seat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At 6' 4" (how much do you weigh?) I'll suggest that you should contact Eagle Mike for Rising Links for your Gen 2 and possibly even inquire about using EM Gen1 Rising Links on your Gen 2. Which would be even taller.
https://www.eaglemike.com/raising-links-for-2008-later-KLR650-8rl.htm
As to seat, The 08-14 Gen 2 seat is stiffer foam but same height and shape as the 87-07 Gen 1 seats.
The Gen 2 2014.5 New Edition seat, front 1/3rd is same shape, firmness & height as early Gen 2 but rear 2/3rds is widened like a Corbin or Sargeant full height seat.
I am about 200 lbs, and while I will usually be riding with the bike relatively unburdened, I would like to have a few clicks of preload available for when I load up the bike with riding and camping gear. If I can get the height right with some wiggle room in the preload, I can then bump it to a 5 when I make use of all of these panniers/boxes/bags.
It sounds like I may look into the new edition KLR seat for a swap.
Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
After years of lusting after one, I am the proud new owner of a 2009 KLR and I am excited to get on the road on my new toy. My bike came with a lot of the mods that I had planned already done and the prior owner took great care of it so I am starting off at a great spot. There is one problem though, the prior owner was 5' 4" and I am 6' 4". He lowered the suspension and added a seat concepts seat that together drops the ride hight quite a bit. One of the reasons that I have always been drawn towards a KLR was the height and now I want to try and get it back up to at least stock. He gave me a pair of suspension links that he thought might be the stock ones but I am pretty sure they are not. View attachment 27701
Does anyone recognize these? I don't think I have ever seen curved suspension links on a KLR, but I could be wrong. I am half inclined to try them out, but I don't even know which way to orient them with that curve. Any advice?
Also, I know that people commonly complain about the hard stock seat, but how much worse is it fron the seat concepts one that I have in terms of stiffness? Should I trade my seat for a stock one to gain the ride height and eliminate the split-level style, or would that be like swapping a sofa for a milk crate? Thoughts?
Congrats on the KLR!
I also have an 09 red w/30k and many updates which I'm still not done😁.
I had a Seat Concepts Seat and hated it! Sold it and back to a stickers from a 2014. Much better and softer.
Go with stock links as the low ones really screw up your shock geometry. Eagle Mike's is a awesome source of KLR knowledge. I have many parts/tools from him including a 692 kit?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just installed the Krono raising links, they are great and only cost $26 shipped.
EM stuff is great but his are $60 plus shipping.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just installed the Krono raising links, they are great and only cost $26 shipped.
EM stuff is great but his are $60 plus shipping.
Silly question, but are the Krono links $26 each or for the pair? The website is not too clear and I was surprised when the stock ones were $23 apiece. Also, did you find that there was excessive play in the holes on your links? There is only one review on the site and that is the concern that they mentioned. It seems like a bad place to have a little wiggle.

·
Registered
29 Posts
$26 for the pair, I saw that review also, but mine fit fine.
Fit, finish even the packaging seems very high quality.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
I am about 200 lbs, and while I will usually be riding with the bike relatively unburdened, I would like to have a few clicks of preload available for when I load up the bike with riding and camping gear. If I can get the height right with some wiggle room in the preload, I can then bump it to a 5 when I make use of all of these panniers/boxes/bags.
It sounds like I may look into the new edition KLR seat for a swap.
Thanks!
I have one free. you pay shipping. at myrtle till Sat. let me know(08 seat)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Also if the PO lowered the bike he probably had to shorten the side stand.
The stock one is 13".
It might lean way over when on the stand after you raise it up.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Eagle Mike makes raising links. I love them, they keep the rear end of my bike from sagging so I don't have that "stink bug" feel when im riding. Give them a look.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also if the PO lowered the bike he probably had to shorten the side stand.
The stock one is 13".
It might lean way over when on the stand after you raise it up.
Good call. I will check the length tomorrow, but it think it is still stock as the bike doesn't lean very far on the side stand at present height.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
$26 for the pair, I saw that review also, but mine fit fine.
Fit, finish even the packaging seems very high quality.
Thanks! I just ordered a pair. I'll post some pics of the bike when I have the new links on and she is back to normal height.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts