Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
hurricane coming our way
View the Hurricane Eta on Google Maps
Welcome to the club! I am down in southern Mississippi and we have been hit to varying degrees by three different storms so far this fall. Thankfully the damage has not been as bad here as in Louisianna, but I have a lot of my students who have gone a week or more without power after the last storm.
Take care and be safe. Mother nature is not something to take lightly.

·
Premium Member
7,291 Posts
If I'm not mis-taken, Maverick has a 2008 firm foam, standard shaped seat. Not a New Edition (2014.5) wide in the rear 2/3rds area model.

But you can't beat his price tag.

·
Premium Member
7,291 Posts
Ut-Oh, you ought to try an OLD Maico!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
If I'm not mis-taken, Maverick has a 2008 firm foam, standard shaped seat. Not a New Edition (2014.5) wide in the rear 2/3rds area model.

But you can't beat his price tag.
Yep. It's the price tag that is the greatest draw right now. I don't plan to take any cross-country trips soon, so I am more in need of the right ride height, even if it costs me in the cushy-tushy department.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm 6" 5"and weigh about 210 US lbs. I can easily sit astride my KLR with standard seat and suspension with the soles of both feet comfortably on the ground with bent knees.

I don't feel cramped when riding. The lower seat may make a taller rider feel a bit cramped.

Of course, raising the suspension makes no difference to the riding position. It will give the bike more ground clearance, and allow the rider's legs to be a bit straighter when sitting astride the bike.

The extra ground clearance may be handy. However, I don't think raising the suspension will offer any benefit to a taller rider in terms of rider comfort.

I dare say a standard, or aftermarket higher seat would probably improve comfort.

·
Premium Member
7,291 Posts
Of course, raising the suspension makes no difference to the riding position. It will give the bike more ground clearance, and allow the rider's legs to be a bit straighter when sitting astride the bike.

The extra ground clearance may be handy. However, I don't think raising the suspension will offer any benefit to a taller rider in terms of rider comfort.
That depends a lot on rider weight and physical build.

The 2008-2014 models had pretty soft springs as compared to 2014.5-2018 models.
The raising links will physically raise the un-laden seat height as well as increase the effective progression of spring rate in its travel.
So this is a fairly inexpensive way for 200lb + riders to firm-up the rear suspension on the early models.

I'm only 6 ft tall, 165 lbs, but with 36 inch legs. A friend of mine is 6" 4', 300+ lbs and only 32 inch legs. He has to stretch to get a leg over the KLR.
I don't squash a seat or the suspension much. But my friend squashes everything.

·
Registered
131 Posts
That depends a lot on rider weight and physical build.

The 2008-2014 models had pretty soft springs as compared to 2014.5-2018 models.
The raising links will physically raise the un-laden seat height as well as increase the effective progression of spring rate in its travel.
So this is a fairly inexpensive way for 200lb + riders to firm-up the rear suspension on the early models.

I'm only 6 ft tall, 165 lbs, but with 36 inch legs. A friend of mine is 6" 4', 300+ lbs and only 32 inch legs. He has to stretch to get a leg over the KLR.
I don't squash a seat or the suspension much. But my friend squashes everything.
I agree with this.

In situations where increased suspension travel impacts rider comfort, then, clearly, raising links will be a benefit.
When I replied, I was thinking more in terms of leg position while sitting in the seat and riding in less demanding conditions. For example, I have heard,, but not experienced, that a standard DR650 can feel cramped for taller riders. I have heard that the foot pegs are closer to the seat. My brother's ZZR 1400 feels much more cramped than a KLR.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts