Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Anyone have any experience with these or can you recommend another one?
I had an old fleece and an old windbreaker, both of which had broken zippers. I chopped them up and sewed them together into a mini-scarf. I wrap that around the back of my neck, and tuck it into my jacket. Works great, tested down to low 30s. Wind still gets in the front, though.

For the front I have a thin windproof kerchief guard thingy I picked up for skiing somewhere along the line. Gave up skiing, and now I use it for the bike.

I like having that protection up over the chin, so the taller one you posted looked better for that... but I couldn't tell from the description if the whole thing was windproof or not. I believe the whole thing has to be windproof, or it's going to be marginally useful.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
I have a leather style that has a zipper in it. Nothing as fancy as what you show in the links, or as expensive, but it seems to work for me. I have rode at freezing temps using it.

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
I use one of those fleece balaclava things. It's supposed to go over your head, but I just put the whole thing around my neck with the face hole in the back. There's enough material it goes down into the collar of my jacket. It works quite well.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've used a thin, windproof, fleece neck warmer for several years. I'm always surprised how much protection and warmth is provided by such a thin piece of material.

·
Lifetime Member
2,482 Posts
Same as the Buff I use, except it's not fleece, just the regular lightweight one. Makes an amazing difference just having your neck covered. Never tried it below freezing though, I think the fleece would be better then.

·
Registered
134 Posts
+1 on the Buff. I usually use a Merino wool version in the winter. As 650Stew said,even though it's thin it helps a LOT. It was 30 deg. yesterday when I left camp, my neck and chin never got cold.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
turtle fur. dope.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Neck warmer

I have some old fleece, full zipper sweat shirts with collars that zip up to tip of collar. When putting the collar up and zippering to the end, It protects me up under back of helmet, and under my chin. Has worked for me in most cases. I just wear it under my riding jacket.
The method does not cover my mouth and chin. ( Grow a beard for winter? )

·
Registered
71 Posts
My take is that if it's cold enough for a neck warmer, it's cold enough for my heated jacket with the heated collar. :cold:
Ron

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Oh, the bottom of a leg of old pajamas/sweat pants makes a really good neck warmer you can wear over your face, too. Gotta be stretchy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guess I should have been more clear. I do have a scarf type that fastens in the back with velcro which helps with my chin area. My upper chest area gets cool even with a heated vest. Maybe I am just a wimp.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Guess I should have been more clear. I do have a scarf type that fastens in the back with velcro which helps with my chin area. My upper chest area gets cool even with a heated vest. Maybe I am just a wimp.
I usually always roll with a sweater vest in the trunk if it's cold. Makes me feel like a schmuck, but man does it keep your core warm.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Oh, the bottom of a leg of old pajamas/sweat pants makes a really good neck warmer you can wear over your face, too. Gotta be stretchy.
Oh, that's brilliant. Hmmm. I'm considering a new plan where I have a stretchy-leg neckwarmer with windbreaker material sewn onto the front ¾ of it or so... then it's still stretchy enough to get over your head, and gives some wind protection, too.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I bought one from Walmart for hunting. Too much stuff around my neck when trying to turn my head. Bought $1 stocking hat, cut a hole in the top and slide it over and around my neck. Works perfect! That and the cheap rckymtnatv balaclava. they work good together.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Shampa (?) sells some good, inexpensive neck/headwarmers.

But the best--IMHO--is the polypro military grade stuff available at any surplus store or ebay.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I've used something around my neck since snow skiing @ LOON Mnt. In college, to riding a MC for the past 40 years. I do what Planalp does...Balaclava.... However it's spelled... Over my head, or just around my neck.
My question: Does anyone NOT use a neck warmer/cover??

1 - 20 of 26 Posts