Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Thursday I went on an scouting/exploratory ride in the Apalachicola National Forest with some friends. I was the only one on a motorcycle. They were on 4wheelers. They did their best to get me to load my bike on the trailer with their scoots :roll: but I declined. I tried to explain to them that they were missing out on half the fun by doing so. Oh well :lol:

We explored an area called Pig & Coon Island below Orange that morning.

We were all looking forward to lunch. We were planning to eat at Coastal Family Seafood Restaurant in Sumatra. I have been hearing many good things about this place & could not wait to check it out myself. I had some of the best Shrimp & Grouper I had ever had.

With our bellies full, we rode another loop near River Stix. Everything was fine until the about the last mile. The trail kept getting dimmer & the ruts got deeper.
The trail became extremely overgrown with tree limbs & briar stalks as big around as your finger. I resulted to walking my bike in one rut while in the other rut. I spotted a Cottonmouth in the water filled rut about 10 feet in front of bike. :shock: He was looking at me like had not eaten in a month. After we killed the snake, we continued our journey back to where the trucks are parked. We were all glad to make it back to the hard road. We would have been fine if we had taken a left a 2nd or 3rd split. But going the way we did makes for a better story :lol:

Believe it or not, I scraped off most of the mud before my 60+ mile ride home from the forest.

All in all we had a great time on our adventure. I got a great workout. They asked me to go back this weekend. Unfortunately I have to work. Maybe next time........

Mark

·
Registered
107 Posts
Looks like fun Treeman. Its getting to be that time of year again, I need to get back over to the forest.

I have not gone on the west side of 379 very much, I tend to pick my way south and east across the forest from the bristol area.

We need to try to hook up and ride one day soon.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Now, that's the way God intended for a KLR650 to be used!

Apalachicola - heck it's getting time for "Tour de Apalachicola" . . . . . at least I'm hoping so!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts