Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! First of all I want to thank you all for the support in my first post. I learned more about my bike than I could have ever imagined in just one post.
I was wondering wether aftermarket exhaust are worth it in terms of performance increase and cost.

Also my rear tire needs replacement and I could take an advise on which tire to buy since I'm gonna be riding mostly on pavement!

Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I think most KLR gurus feel that the popular aftermarket slip-on exhausts give little or no power improvements. An advantage they do have is that most are considerably lighter in weight than the stock item. Since our bikes are pretty heavy losing a few pounds is a good thing. Another feature is that some of them sound better.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Hello and welcome King, putting an aftermarket exhaust on your bike without modifying your carb which is lean from the factory will do more harm than good. Try a search using carb modification or mods on here. Very interesting reading.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello and welcome King, putting an aftermarket exhaust on your bike without modifying your carb which is lean from the factory will do more harm than good. Try a search using carb modification or mods on here. Very interesting reading.
So I would need to tune my carb to have a richer mixture? Is of OK to do that tune without changing the exhaust?

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
You can do a 22 cent modification on your carb, it helps with the lean condition. If you want a little more pep then a KLX carb kit or the MCP carb kit and and aftermarket exhaust will get you a little more snap.

·
Premium Member
6,841 Posts
So I would need to tune my carb to have a richer mixture? Is of OK to do that tune without changing the exhaust?
First you need to let more air INTO the air box to need to richen the mixture much at all.

With more air coming in, a better muffler can let more OUT. So need to richen up a little bit more.

The Leo Vince X3 never needs re-packing and is tolerable to my ears while wearing ear plugs. But what about your neighbors neighbor? It is also quite light & durable.

·
Registered
119 Posts
good comments, knowing stock settings can be on the lean side, just throwing on an aftermarket pipe to me meant - "dont buy this used bike". I grew up with lots of sleds - high performance stuff, and guys who buy a 110hp 600 and then throw 1k worth of crap on it to make it maybe run with 120hp 700's seemed a bit sillly. plus that same 600 would not last 2 years without pistons and rings. so you bought a sled, spent 1k , maybe it burns down or not so you can spent on a rebuild. OK the klr 4 stroke isnt perhaps quite on the edge, but still. if you need more engine, buy it. line6

·
Registered
29 Posts
No, they are not. For me, the stock exhaust is the best. My bike, bought used, came with a Lexx on it that I ran for a few years and then dumped because it was falling apart. The Lexx packing is only good for about 30 hours of riding. That means that mine is burned out in less than a month. No wonder it was soooooo loud!
Nope, stock is best!

For a street mostly tire, I'd recommend the Shinko 705. It's cheap and long wearing and if you do go off-road, it will handle most anything you can throw at it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
BTW nice looking A9 Barbie. I had the same one. Lost it in a garage fire. Seeing the tow truck drag that thing out of what used to be my garage was a very sad moment. You do not want to see what a KLR looks like after a big garage fire. line6

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
The answer to the question is; it depends......what are your priorities, usage and budget. My silencer post:
A subjective topic but to recap recent discussions;

I don't like loud but I've replaced the stock silencers on both KLR's for several reasons, namely; lighter weight (5 - 7 lbs), better tone, better looks. .....I wouldn't recommend it thinking there will be a noticeable increase in power, nor would I put much faith in manufacturer's that claim much in the way of HP increases (with no other changes).

After much research and some testing, I like the LeoVince X3 which is relatively quiet at 94db, doesn't require repacking (the only one that doesn't AFAIK, except for the ridiculously expensive Staintune out of Australia), looks decent and has a spark arrestor and USFS compliance. Runner up would be the Lexx with the optional trail insert; also around 94db but it does require periodic repacking. I also like the FMF Q4 but it is a bit louder (though still trail compliant) at 96db (keep in mind that the increase in decibels isn't linear).

There are a great many aftermarket silencers on the market that are far too loud IMO and you'd do best to avoid them.

Good luck,

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Since I wrote that, I've purchased a LEXX with their new "trail saver" quiet insert and replaced the FMF Q4 on my 2001.....it is alleged to be the quietest aftermarket silencer out there and I will be comparing it to stock and my LeoVince X3. Regardless of the final output results, the LV is better built and doesn't require repacking so it remains my top pick.

As far as power goes; yes you can get a small boost in power using a good aftermarket silencer but it isn't much and IMO isn't a good return on the $$ if power is the concern. You need to rejet and pull the snorkle at a minimum if you want more flow and the airbox mods are highly recommended.....all these things together give you a healthy and noticeable little boost in output but you'd get 80% of it from the jetting and airbox mods alone.

Lastly the 22 cent mod is a bandaid for the lean stock jetting....it works but the KLX kit is far better - no reason to do the 22 cent mod unless you don't have the $40 for the proper jet kit. I'm currently trying the MCP kit as well but it's too early to provide an opinion.....at this point the KLX kit is a proven solution IMO.

Dave

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
So you finally got the proper Lectron needle for your modified engine? Don't I remember that you had some odd issue?
i tried no airbox but couldn't get it dialed in. bought a used airbox, reset carb to stock setting, did the L mod and left it alone. i pulled 56 mpg last trip in the mountains. runs great, throttle response is very snappy.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I look after a local dragstrip here where i live. A few weeks ago we held the Cmdra motorcycle club and i got to talk with owner of universal cycle in Calgary. We got to talking about the klr which hes worked on extensively. He said the fmf powercore and header is worth 7hp on wheel dyno. I would assume thats properly jetted to fit. I thought that was very interesting. He loved the klr and hopes it’s replaced by something worthy of its name.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I hate to say it but I really didn't see any improvement in any performance engine mod I ever did that was worth the effort it took to do but I didn't ever do the KLX needle. One mod I did that really made a difference was a 14 tooth sprocket. That really was great for the style I rode.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My bike came with an aftermarket exhaust, once I jetted the carb, it was a different bike. It ran fine before, but it ran better after,

the high compression 685 after that was a huge change, 😁

·
Registered
87 Posts
Listen to Dave P.

I have an FMF on my recently purchased KLR. It’s too damn loud. Hearing damage loud, unless you wear earplugs inside your full helmet. I’m putting the stock exhaust back on it. I don’t care if it weighs more.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Listen to Dave P.

I have an FMF on my recently purchased KLR. It’s too damn loud. Hearing damage loud, unless you wear earplugs inside your full helmet. I’m putting the stock exhaust back on it. I don’t care if it weighs more.
interested in selling it?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Listen to Dave P.

The fmf is loud. But it makes power. On my 705 the fmf made noticeably more power and made more than leo vince. I had to modify leo to get close to fmf. However now it has a mild rumble and works decent.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts